Transferring programs from one HDD to another?

EnoVation

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
ok so now i have my new pc up and running i want to transfer files and programs to my new one. old hdd is plugged into mb and detected as f drive. obv. i can copy files across but im not sure how to transfer prgrams across bearing in mind that i would prefer it if my old hdd was still operable. particular problem is i had unfinished torrents downloading on old hdd and dont know how to transfer them without damaging them. for other programs would it be possible to simply run the install again from program files and then select new c drive instead of old one?
thnx

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Transering files from one hdd another will not damage a drive, so the old one should remain in operation.
It is not a good idea to transfer programs. Programs should be reinstalled on the new hdd.

Most, if not all, bit torrent programs let you restart a torrent download if you choose the same destination for the download. So: reinstall your bittorrent program, find the torrent, and choose the same same destination on the old hdd.

mitsubishiuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Yeah you have to reinstall your applications, there is information needed in the registry etc, but you can copy over config files.

For your torrents, it will vary by client, for eg. uTorrent, install on new OS, find your old config folder (something like "?:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\uTorrent" and copy the contents to your new install. If you move your downloads so they have the same path as they did before then it should just carry on. If you want to leave the downloads on the other drive, you will have to tell uTorrent where they are (right-click->Advanced->Set Download location), it will then hash full chunks. Other clients will vary, but the main point it is, the client will hash partial downloads to see what it has.

EnoVation

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
ok thnx for advice. only problem is there are certain mods on old hdd which are no longer available for download anywhere i can find

a-nano-moose

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
When I bought a new Maxtor hard drive it came with a utility that let me copy the contents of the old drive to the new drive and to automatically change partion sizes.
I did not have to reload anything.
just installed the new drive as the primary drive, run the utility and then reboot off of the new drive.
The new drive has the same drive letters the old one had. so it should not cause any trouble with your torrents.

Zenthar

Distinguished
MODs usually don't "install" themselves the same way full programs do. If you can locate the MOD's files you can probably just copy them over in your new program's installation folder.

EnoVation

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
yeh thnx i found them and cannow play on super fast pc ^_^
one other thing i was wondering is on my old pc i set it so that no one could access my files unless they were on my account which i now regret cos i can get to my documents. is there anyway to almost hack my own folder without reassembaling my old pc and doing it the normal way?
thnx again

EliDav

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
You can try PickMeApp (www.pickmeapp.com) to package and relocate your programs.

But in this case imaging your old drive onto the new drive looks a better solution. Since nothing else in your system didn't changed - all your drivers and system settings will behave correctly. For imagining I suggest to hire a computer professional (unless you are completely sure that you know how it must be done).

rawitzke

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013