Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DVD writer doesn't read copied DVDs

Last response: in Storage
June 15, 2010 11:07:12 AM

Hello everyone!

My XP running computer had a virus so my friend copied the contents of my old to a new and bigger hard drive.

Since then, my NEC ND-4570A doesn't read DVD-Rs I created years ago. I've put the discs in my PS3 and they work fine (mostly AVI movies and MP3's).

The drive will still read DVD movies and DVD data discs bought from the shops i.e. my Microsoft Works Suite/24 Days 1 - 6 box set. It even reads AND writes CD-Rs.

I've flashed it with the latest firmware update that I was running it with before I made these data DVDs. I've even opened the PC up myself to see if anything is unplugged; couldn't see anything but why would I right? The drive does work, only without it's full functionality.

I also installed the latest version of InCD from Nero's website. Still no joy. When I insert the discs, the green light stays on for a while and the drive makes sounds as though it's struggling to read a scratched disc.

Sorry this is such a long message but I've hopefully given all the necessary information.

Aaron

June 18, 2010 11:09:28 AM

? Sorry but you copied the virus from the old to the new unless you removed the virus first which would negate any reason to copy to another drive.
Suggest you try malwarebytes virus program on the drive your using.
If the drive shows clean then suggest you go to device manager and highlight the dvd drive - right click and select uninstall from the bottom of the window, you should get a prompt to confirm. This should remove any drivers saved in windows and following a reboot should allow windows to reload uncorrupted drivers from it's cabinet files. Virus's typically but not always are denied access to cabinet files.
Not sure why you would flash the dvd with the same bios it already had. It's possible to add the virus to the eprom chip during the flash if it's already resident on your system.
Another note, frequently there are virus's hidden beneath the surface one, to that end when you remove a virus you need to restart the virus progam again after reboot and repeat the process till you come up clean.
This may not help but it is a possibility.
June 20, 2010 3:09:27 PM

Thanks for your reply. The virus had nothing to do with burning DVDs. It just stopped Windows XP from booting correctly. I've since run an anti-virus program to stop the previous one and any others from infecting my computer.

When I first bought the DVD-RW, it was running firmware version 1.00. The upgrade makes it 1.03. I ran the firmware upgrade again once I had the new hard drive put in, because I didn't know if the what affect me reinstalling windows would have on the DVD drive. Maybe I didn't have to, I just wanted to try different things to solve the problem.

My problem is not the virus. After reinstalling Windows, the DVD-RW doesn't work properly and I don't know what to do to fix it. I tried uninstalling the driver. Once I rebooted the computer, it found my DVD and installed the driver for it.

Now I'm back to square one. It reads store bought DVDs and writes/reads CD-Rs but not blanks or copies; the same blanks and copies that I burned using Nero that can be read in my PS3/friend's computer.

Help?!?!?!
Related resources
June 20, 2010 3:11:21 PM

Oh, and I only copied my music and videos to the new hard drive that had a fresh install of Windows on it.
June 22, 2010 11:36:49 AM

Jaunty_One said:
Oh, and I only copied my music and videos to the new hard drive that had a fresh install of Windows on it.

...and I'm having exactly the same problem as this guy

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259107-32-drive-shows...

Looks like "There IS a problem that 'Tom' can't fix... in the mix!!"
June 28, 2010 1:13:47 PM

Hi 4ryan6, thanks for your reply

Please disregard the virus, this is not the issue. I've already done a fresh re-install of Windows. I only transferred my old mp3s and videos on to my computer. I didn't make any changes to my hardware. Everything else works fine.

Assume I took my NEC ND-4570A DVD writer out of my computer then put it in yours and I couldn't burn blank DVD-Rs. What would you do to remedy this?

Thanks for your time.
June 28, 2010 1:40:08 PM

Jaunty_One said:
Hi 4ryan6, thanks for your reply

Please disregard the virus, this is not the issue. I've already done a fresh re-install of Windows. I only transferred my old mp3s and videos on to my computer. I didn't make any changes to my hardware. Everything else works fine.

Assume I took my NEC ND-4570A DVD writer out of my computer then put it in yours and I couldn't burn blank DVD-Rs. What would you do to remedy this?

Thanks for your time.

Sometimes unfortunately a repair Re-installation just doesn't fix every problem.

If I were facing your problem myself, I'd backup all my important files, even if it had to be done to an external HDD or high capacity Flash Drive.

Then I'd do a Low Level Format, or Disk Wipe, or Zero Fill, whatever the diagnostic disk utility for your HDD calls completely erasing the HDD of all data, including all boot records, then I'd fresh install the OP/SYS from scratch.

You can also download the free version of Active Kill Disk HDD Eraser and it will work for any HDD.

Anyhow that's what I would do, in your situation. Ryan
June 28, 2010 7:33:27 PM

4ryan6 I threw my old HDD away. I have used the wrong terminology, sorry for the confusion.

This wasn't a re-install/repair of XP. This is a first time installation of Windows on a brand new HDD. I then had my music and videos (various read-only files) added - the only things I didn't want to lose.

Therefore I've already followed your advice, only instead of formattiing/disk wiping the HDD, I disposed of it and bought a new one!

This is why I'm so confused and I don't know what else to do. Again, if I took my DVD writer and gave it to you but then you couldn't burn any data onto blank discs, what would you do?
June 28, 2010 8:28:13 PM

Have you tried a known good DVD burner.

Is the burning media defective? Have you tried different media?

And last, you could have a bad M/B circuit.

Best solution

a c 84 G Storage
June 28, 2010 8:28:27 PM

Jaunty_One said:
Hello everyone!

My XP running computer had a virus so my friend copied the contents of my old to a new and bigger hard drive.

Since then, my NEC ND-4570A doesn't read DVD-Rs I created years ago. I've put the discs in my PS3 and they work fine (mostly AVI movies and MP3's).

The drive will still read DVD movies and DVD data discs bought from the shops i.e. my Microsoft Works Suite/24 Days 1 - 6 box set. It even reads AND writes CD-Rs.

I've flashed it with the latest firmware update that I was running it with before I made these data DVDs. I've even opened the PC up myself to see if anything is unplugged; couldn't see anything but why would I right? The drive does work, only without it's full functionality.

I also installed the latest version of InCD from Nero's website. Still no joy. When I insert the discs, the green light stays on for a while and the drive makes sounds as though it's struggling to read a scratched disc.

Sorry this is such a long message but I've hopefully given all the necessary information.

Aaron

Re-flashing the drive would not have done you any good as you are flashing the internal firmware of the drive, which is totally separate from Windows. You are saying that it can't read or write ANY burnable DVDs? Lets say you make a DVD disk at another PC, yours will then not be able to read it? I did not see if you put in that it also won't write, but reading some of the comments makes me think that's the case, so the drive won't burn new DVDs as well? Reading store-bought DVDs is one test, but since they are made using a different technology, it's not the only things you should try. Try a few burned disks that your friends made.

Your issue may be hardware, if you have a chance, try another DVD player in your system. You did the right thing by trying InCD, that causes some read issues on burnable disks. In your case, the laser used to read the disks may have gone out of alignment, or the firmware reflash did something. DVD pits are much tighter than CD ones, and burned DVD disks look different than pressed ones you would get from say an Office DVD. Do a search for what a writable DVD looks like vs. a pressed one, you will see what I mean.
June 28, 2010 9:13:21 PM

Thanks for your responses guys. I guess I was trying to save myself some time and heartache. I didn't buy another DVD writer because I was convinced that my XP was the problem.

The discs I tried were my own that I burnt using my writer and Nero years ago that definitely used to work on my computer. The burning media I'm attempting to use now is made by the same Verbatim and Sony spindles of 50 DVDs I bought years ago.

Ages ago, my friend made copies of DVD films on to my Sony discs that can be read on any DVD player (including non-PC types); these are the only copied DVD media that my PC currently reads!! I don't know what software/hardware he used.

When I bought my writer (I think it was 2005), it was definitely a recommended one that performed well in tests done by PC review mags/websites. Unfortunately it's so old, NEC don't support it anymore and are ignoring my emails!!

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I gather from your responses that XP is unlikely to be the issue here. As far as having a bad M/B circuit... I wouldn't know where to begin with solving that dilemma!!! Let's hope that's not the case.

Thanks again!
July 8, 2010 7:55:11 PM

Best answer selected by Jaunty_One.
June 6, 2012 9:55:43 PM

I'm havibg the same problem.. I think as I had burned the DVDs 4 years back and haven't used them even once throughout the years, they might have stopped working. Unused electronic things gets wasted after few years after all.
a c 157 G Storage
June 7, 2012 12:20:10 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!