ASUS P6T vs P6T SE, confused about the $40 difference

PanSola

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Spec comparison on Newegg

Intuitively, "SE" sounds like "Second Edition" to me. Spec-wise it appears the only difference is SE can hold 12 GB more RAM. However, SE is $40 cheaper than the "original" P6T.

Is there any difference I am not noticing that would explain why apparently better SE is cheaper?

Edit: (oops accidently picked the wrong sub-forum. Can anyone move this to the ASUS subforum?)

Tango013

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I've been looking at this as well. As far as I can tell the biggest differences are:

1. P6T has 100% Japan made capacitors, so supposedly higher quality

2. P6T has DriveExpert Sata Ports

3. P6T supports both SLI and Crossfire where as the P6T SE only supports Crossfire

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

No, for Asus SE never means "Second Edition". It always means "Sucky Edition"...or better yet, just call them "Light" boards. Asus didn't remove much from the P6T SE, most noticeable is the SATA port multiplier that sucked anyway.

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
please awnser these questions: can i overclock well with it, i mean 3,2-3,8ghz
and will i have the simular preformance with this board as you will have with the more expansive core i7 boards. i want the best value board out there since i cannot afford a €250 board for the entire system. the diffrence between the 2 is about €70 here in the netherlands. i just want to build the best bang for the buck system and i only need a new screen and a mouse. i still have the logitech x230 speakers and the g15 keyboard. my buget is around 1k euro. i hope you guys can give me some advise what parts i should go for thank you

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It's a good motherboard. Look for a comparison of low-cost Core i7 motherboards at Tom's Hardware in about two weeks.

eaclou

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
It's a good motherboard. Look for a comparison of low-cost Core i7 motherboards at Tom's Hardware in about two weeks.

Oh perfect! That's exactly what I was waiting for. I can't decide between any of the x58 boards.

They're all crammed full of stuff I don't need, and apparently have an extremely high DOA / failure rate (every one has >5% 1star ratings).

I don't want 4 video cards in SLI, with a 50% overclock on everything, i just want a stable board that houses an i7, comes with RAID1, doesn't break, and doesn't make me pay for all the extras.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I haven't had troubles that were unsolvable with any of them. The biggest issues that occasionally must be solved by actually figuring out the problem have to do with memory:

1.) Memory banks are arranged from the CPU as Set-2, Set-1, Set-2, Set-1, Set-2, Set 1. People accustomed to the traditional slot order need to be aware that they need to start with the second slot from the CPU
2.) Memory manufacturers were so accustomed to pumping out high-voltage crap into the market that they got caught offgaurd by the need to keep voltage levels at or below 1.65V. The best way to get 1.65V or lower memory is to buy triple-channel kits.
3.) Even with triple-channel kits, some manufacturer's products aren't 100% stable at boot, even at the default lower speed. Using a single module to set memory voltage before adding the other modules can be helpful.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff