Sign in with
Your question

Which thermal compound to buy?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 24, 2010 11:12:26 PM

which thermal compound would you recommend for me. i plan to overclock my core i5 750 with my Xigmatek Thor's Hammer but i need some thermal compound.

i also plan on replacing the thermal compound on my GTX 470.

both heat sinks are HDTs, don't know if that makes a difference.

which thermal compound would you recommend and why?

i have used AS5 and don't feel comfortable with the fact that it can short circuit components... and generally dont prefer the long curing time which has to take place.

More about : thermal compound buy

a c 86 K Overclocking
May 24, 2010 11:23:13 PM

One of the more kinda newer popular ones is MX-2. One of 3-4 decent ones.

A link TO READ;
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23...
The indego xtreme is VERY tricky, so don't try it unless you have done 100+ CPU installs, please.

Be careful you don't tear the Tpads on the 470, might make sure you have new pads to replace the old ones. And yes, you need Tpads instead of Tpaste on a GPU.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

Some folks here hopefully will post the best application for Tpaste on an HDT. I watercool, so I pay no ateention.
m
l
May 24, 2010 11:24:14 PM

OCZ Freeze Extreme or Tuniq TX-3
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2010 11:42:28 AM

abhi_jollyguy said:
OCZ Freeze Extreme or Tuniq TX-3

Hi abhi can u suggest me too.

i want a very good one for my i7 860
m
l
May 25, 2010 11:51:03 AM

ruffandruff said:
Hi abhi can u suggest me too.

i want a very good one for my i7 860

Both are excellent though Tuniq TX-3 has an edge over OCZ Freeze Extreme
m
l
May 25, 2010 12:58:49 PM

abhi_jollyguy said:
Both are excellent though Tuniq TX-3 has an edge over OCZ Freeze Extreme

thanks
m
l
May 25, 2010 6:18:27 PM

Conumdrum said:

Be careful you don't tear the Tpads on the 470, might make sure you have new pads to replace the old ones. And yes, you need Tpads instead of Tpaste on a GPU.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

Some folks here hopefully will post the best application for Tpaste on an HDT. I watercool, so I pay no ateention.

so your saying that i need thermal pads on the GPU Processor or just the memory chips? i am assuming just the memory chips.

does newegg have any thermal pads? would it help if i replaced those on the GTX 470?

P.S. looks like i'm going to get tuniq tx-3 then. if thats not in stock on the egg then i will probably pick up cooler master fusion 400 and call it a day. thanks for the replies.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 26, 2010 2:12:46 AM

Quote:
so your saying that i need thermal pads on the GPU Processor or just the memory chips?

Just the VRAM sinks.

As for the TIM, any decent TIM, it IC Diamond, AS5, TX3,etc will work fine.
m
l
May 27, 2010 2:40:30 AM

So would applying a non-corrosive paste that doesn't conduct electricity on the VRAM modules which would be replacing the stock thermal tape be a good idea? or is this a nono?

i would like to do this because i do not wish to purchase some more stuff if i can just use some thermal compound that i already will be buying. Thanks for your replies.
m
l
!