metallicaman41

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I have an Intel Core 2 Duo e8400. Motherboard is Asus P5Q Pro.

Originally I was having problems with the computer randomly locking up and not posting. I sent the motherboard back to newegg and got a replacement for it.

I just did the install of the new motherboard today and everything boots up fine, but when I checked the CPU temp in the BIOS it was saying it was at 185 degrees F, the motherboard was around 70-80 degrees F. I tried shutting it down and restarting, in case maybe on first boot the thermal compound needed to seal or something, but after booting it was at 145 degrees and climbed to 165 within a minute.

First shouldnt the computer be shutting itself off at 185 degrees?

Second any ideas on why it might be getting that hot? I used Arctic silver 5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

It is possible I didnt use enough Artic silver? Here is a picture of the compound on the CPU prior to putting the heatsink on.

I followed the instructions here http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

Untitled-1-2.jpg

caniba

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
change your degrees to Celsius. check the temps with coretemp. Yes they are way to hot. reseat your heatsink and search google to see more picture of how to apply the compound. It should idle around 35-40 C, this is about 92-104F.

I'd check your heatsink to see if it is seated properly. I'd also be checking to see if the cooling fan on your heatsink is plugged in and running.

185F / 85C is way to hot. Especially if that's your idle temperature. It's going to activate thermal shut down or fry itself.

CoachB

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
If you put your finger on the heatsink, does it burn you? If the temp is really that hot, you shouldn't be able to touch it for long. If the heatsink isn't very hot, you could have a sensor issue OR the heatsink isn't mounted right as suggested above.