Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best Notepad replacement

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 10:52:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Got a Tungsten E (OS5), and would like a Notepad look-alike that uses the
320 x 320 screen resolution properly. The standard Notepad SEEMS to be 160
x 160 on the drawing area, because the lines you draw are very blocky, which
makes smalll writing hard to read.

I want something pretty simple - no need for any fancy functionality - and
I'm happy to pay if it's good.

Could anyone recommend something?

Thanks.

Steve

More about : notepad replacement

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 5:42:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Sunday 21 August 2005 07:52, Staiger wrote:

> Got a Tungsten E (OS5), and would like a Notepad look-alike that uses the
> 320 x 320 screen resolution properly. The standard Notepad SEEMS to be
> 160 x 160 on the drawing area, because the lines you draw are very blocky,
> which makes smalll writing hard to read.


I am fairly sure that that lines are 1/2-pixel wide (strictly 1 pixel would
be problemtic in lines that are not straight) and takes advantage of the
320x320 screen. I know this for a fact because I used to have Note Pad on a
160x160 screen and it was terrible. Have you selected the thinnest line? I
am pretty sure you have.


> I want something pretty simple - no need for any fancy functionality - and
> I'm happy to pay if it's good.


I saw BugMe being recommended:

http://www.electricpocket.com/bugme-palm/


> Could anyone recommend something?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve


Hope it helps,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"
http://Schestowitz.com
August 22, 2005 2:21:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:52:21 +0000 (UTC), "Staiger"
<nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Got a Tungsten E (OS5), and would like a Notepad look-alike that uses the
>320 x 320 screen resolution properly. The standard Notepad SEEMS to be 160
>x 160 on the drawing area, because the lines you draw are very blocky, which
>makes smalll writing hard to read.
>
>I want something pretty simple - no need for any fancy functionality - and
>I'm happy to pay if it's good.
>
>Could anyone recommend something?

What about "CardText"? Freeware:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/docs/cardtxt.shtml


Pete
Related resources
August 22, 2005 2:23:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:21:33 GMT, Pete <nosespam@my.nut> wrote:


>What about "CardText"? Freeware:
>
>http://www.freewarepalm.com/docs/cardtxt.shtml


Oops. Just realised you're talking about handwriting which CardTXT is
not ... Got confused with the word "NotePad" :) 

Pete
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:16:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Actually that CardText looks pretty good. However, I've just bought BugMe!,
which is perfect for my needs. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now, an interesting observation. I was wrong - the standard Notepad is 320
x 320, but for some reason the stuff you draw and write looks horribly
blocky. I've done some careful comparison tests with BugMe!, and the latter
makes your scribbles look LOADS better - much smoother.

Obviously BugMe! has a much better algorithm for drawing to the screen.
Weird, eh?


Steve
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:47:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 00:16, Staiger wrote:

> Actually that CardText looks pretty good. However, I've just bought
> BugMe!,
> which is perfect for my needs. Thanks for the recommendation.


Glad you took my advice. *smile*


> Now, an interesting observation. I was wrong - the standard Notepad is
> 320 x 320, but for some reason the stuff you draw and write looks horribly
> blocky. I've done some careful comparison tests with BugMe!, and the
> latter makes your scribbles look LOADS better - much smoother.


I have just taken a closer look at Note Pad. Indeed it tends to draw lines
that are 2 pixels wide, especially when drawling diagonals.

Peronsally, I stopped using Note Pad rather quickly after I had started
using it. It was over 3 years ago. I realised that I would not be able to
archive and search the data. I occasionally use Note Pad to sketch maps if
I go somewhere I don't know well.


> Obviously BugMe! has a much better algorithm for drawing to the screen.
> Weird, eh?


I am guessing that the size of the application is much larger. It might be
slower than Note Pad too because of added complexities.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
http://Schestowitz.com
!