quantumburnz

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I'm looking at a Dell Inspiron 1501 for a friend. 2/3rds of the right hand side of the LCD has gone black. It's not a driver issue or anything related to that because that portion of the screen is still missing during boot up/POST.

I've taken apart the laptop and checked all the connections, which are good. I've noticed when I switch the output between a monitor and the actually LCD, eventually a few vertical lines will show up on the non-working portion of the screen. Sometimes the lines are different colors and sometimes they're just white, but regardless of the color, they're bright and not dim.

I thought this problem could be related to the power inverter but it sounds to me like a faint image would still be visible, it's definitely black. Any ideas as to what the exact problem may be? I'm thinking the whole LCD needs to be replaced and I doubt it's a back light issue since there's bright vertical lines that appear when I toggle the output. Thank you for your help and input!

Chris

The output to an external monitor was OK, right?
Sounds like some of the integrated circuits that control when a charge is sent down a particular column or row have gone bad. Or it could be problems in the circuit wiring in the panel itself. My guess is that it would cost more to repair (if it were even possible) than to get a replacement screen.

quantumburnz

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks WR2. I agree with you. I just wanted to make sure the symptoms sound like the actual LCD as opposed to the power inverter. I'm going to check out the prices of LCDs on eBay and probably order a new one today.