Sata raid + sata drives on motherboard controller

openi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Anyone know HOW and IF i can install both a raid 0 volume and a separate SATA drive on the same motherboard controller on an MSI 790XT-G45 motherboard?
I tried a PCI sata controller for my esata backup and it doesn't get past 80mb/s (PCI bus limit) and I don't want to lose my data or sacrifice speed.
I used nLite for the install (great program) so I don't need a floppy and a full install with my application environment takes only 10 minutes but the key to safety is the external backups...
Help anyone?
cb

sub mesa

Distinguished
Depends on the chipset whether it allows normal disks when the controller is operating in RAID mode; Intel does allow this and i think AMD might too but i'm not sure.

You would need an AHCI-compliant OS, so Windows XP would not work without additional drivers.

If you would not be installing Windows to the RAID0, you can create a software RAID0 instead which may be easier and circumvents the RAID stuff as they would be three plain disks to Windows; with 2 of them in a dynamic striping configuration, meaning software RAID0