Oldtimer_74

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Hello,The Windows XP on my laptop [Panasonic Toughbook CF-48] will not start after initialy coming on. I get the introduction screen then no blue screen with the sign in/password logo, just the windows theme repeating,black, then start screen again.

Hello and welcome to Topm's Hardware Forums.

Can you start in Safe Mode by tapping Function 8 before Windows starts to load?

If you can, log in as Administrator and create another User Account then restart and see if you can log into that new account. If you can, it gives us a clue as to the nature of your logon problem.

Oldtimer_74

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Hya. Thanks for the reply. I can start in Safe Mode by pressing F8 but I cant seem to log in as Administrator. There seems to be no log in facility on the screen that appears. I can only log in with my normal log in code, which takes me back to the same problem.
Sorry to be a nuisance, put it down to old age. Thanks for your reply. T.

And old age made me miss your reply so sorry I'm a day late.

I've never known a hidden system Administrator account in XP before but it is hidden by default in Vista and Windows 7. Please don't think it insulting if I ask are you certain you have XP and were you definitely in Safe Mode when the screen failed to show the Administrator logon icon?

If you're sure about both, this is quite a problem and you would need to use a Linux Operating System to tunnel in and retrieve your personal files before reinstalling XP.

First, and if you have a Windows XP CD, pop it in and boot from it then select the first Repair option? At the Command Prompt on a black form, type chkdsk /r (including the space) then hit Enter and a five stage process will run which might help fix this.

Oldtimer_74

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Hya Addict. Sorry to be so late but I have been crazy busy today so have only just got on. I have nothing with the laptop at all so the cd option is out. So I suppose that the thing has had it?, unless there is a way of fixing it by doing what is said on here while trying to get it working. My desk top is working just fine, but of course its not portable!!!!so its a bit of a nuisance. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your reply. Regards. T.

Without being able to run checks which need the system running or a CD, your best bet is to scrap Windows completely annd install a Linux Operating System. Burn it to a CD and run it live without installing it until you decide if you like it or not. There are hundreds to choose from but my personal favourite is PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com - it doesn't take up much space, wlil work straight out of the box and find all the relevant hardware drivers.

Oldtimer_74

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

Thanks. I will look into it over the w/end as I am doing stuff tomorrow/saturday. I will let you know later what happens. Thanks again. T.