HTPC Graphics Card

G

I've been building a HTPC machine for my living room, the motherboard has a built in 7100, but I decided to beef it up a bit with a good graphics card so I could play a few games, nothing too OTT but enough to run the latest games at a good frame rate.

At first I opted for an Gigabyte ATI 6470 I quickly found out this card was rubbish, the fan speed was stuck at 100% all the time and it sounded like a hoover. They don't have any fan speed control at all.

I sent this back and bought an XFX 9600 GT. As soon as I booted it up the fan went to 100%, Started to get a bit worried however once the drivers were installed it throttled down and it was virtually silent. Great i thought!

Problem is if I put the PC into sleep mode the card throttles back up to 100% and I've got another hoover.

I've had bad luck so far, I've contacted XFX and they say a BIOS update isn't available I've tried tweaking it myself but nothing has worked.

Can you guys recommend a good card at this level that doesn't sound like a leaf blower?

Thanks

G

hey, thanks for the replies,

Rivatuner doesn't make a difference, the fan is fine when windows is on and the NVIDIA drivers are installed, when it goes into sleep mode though it throttles back up to 100% fan speed. Poor design if you ask me!

Sorry I forgot to say I've only got space for a single slot GPU, otherwise those two cards would be ideal.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Yea, your only real option for quieting it down would be editing and then flashing the cards BIOS. Its a risky process and likely voids any warrenty.

Safest bet is to take it back and get a passively cooled card or attach your own aftermarket passive cooler.

TRENDING THREADS