[New system build] - questions

I'm in the process of putting together / researching parts for a new system build. I built the PC I currently use, but that was several years ago and obviously much has changed since then.

I want a powerful system (goes without saying), but I don't necessarily need the most powerful system on the planet if that makes sense. I'm not much of a gamer, in fact the only game I currently play is Eve-Online, but I'd like the option to be able to play newer games if something catches my eye.

Here's where I'm at so far:

Motherboard: EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 Quad-Core Processor

GPU: XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition 896MB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB

RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

CASE: Antec P182 Gun Metal Black

MONITOR: ASUS VW246H Black 24" HDMI

PSU: I have no idea what I need

Some questions I have:
1) The case is a mid tower, do I need a full tower or might I regret not having one in the future?
2) The HDD, I've read some reviews stating a lot of problems with this one, anyone have any other suggestions?
3) The motherboard, $300 for a motherboard seems very expensive. I know it's the latest tech, but could I get away with something cheaper? Any suggestions?
4) The RAM, will I see any benefit from DDR3 1600, or should I go with DDR3 1333, and is this a reliable brand?
5) The monitor, anyone have any experience with this monitor at all? I know ASUS makes good motherboards, but how are there monitors. If you have a better suggestion I ask that it's 24" widescreen and has HDMI and DVI connectors.
6) PSU, I have no idea what wattage, etc. I need in a PSU. Totally clueless on this one.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you may be able to provide.
3 answers Last reply
More about system build questions
  1. I'd swap the Seagate for a 640 gig Western Digital drive. More reliable and the price is pretty good. Performance for the drive is good for the price.

You can use a mid tower. Unless you're going to put a lot of stuff in your tower, you don't need a full tower.

As for your motherboard, I actually bought the exact same one for my new rig (still waiting on it to be sent over here, so can't tell you any first hand experience).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128374
    That one is a little cheaper and does not look too bad. The specs say you need 2100+ or 1333 DDR3 memory, so it looks like it does not support 1600 memory.

You might see a small benefit going with 1600 but nothing too significant if you want to opt for 1333 mem. Might be better if you go with the suggestion I made to save a little more money. G.Skill brand is reliable and affordable. Go with that, if you can.

I haven't used ASUS monitors before, but that one looks good for its price. I would recommend performing a Google search on that monitor on reviews to get a good idea on the monitor.

As for a PSU, I recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011

It is a good PSU and it is dirt cheap... well, until the day after Christmas. So if you're going to buy, you need to get on the ball. For $70 dollars, it is awesome.
  2. I should have mentioned that at some point I'd probably end up buying a second video card. The PSU you recommended states it would only handle 2x 8800s or lower.
  3. http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

You can get some more info on some certified PSU's for a couple 260's. The links there brings you to the manufacturer's product page, so you might have to go to NewEgg to see if they offer it at a better price.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product