SMC Modem vs. Linksys(Reliability)

njxc500

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Hello all,

(Short version, SMC Modem hangs once a day, Comcast won't let me use a linksys)

I run a multi computer network in an office environment, and I have one credit card server using IP to process CC's. I use Comcast Business and they have supplied me with a modem, and I think it may be causing me a problem.

About two years ago we had a storm, and it fried my motorola surfboard modem, which was fine. They couldn't get a new one out to me for two days, so I forced them to let me run a Linksys. The Linksys was perfect, ran super for a year and a half, no issues at all. Then something came loose at the feed on the telephone pole, and I had the tech come out. They required that I hook up the modem, they had supplied me, and put my linksys on a shelf.

Now my SMC modem seems to stop occasionally for no reason. I use Chrome, and multiple websites will all stop, won't refresh, and will say, oops this link appears to be broken. This happens to me once a day, at least. It always starts back up within one minute, but this is super annoying. (I still have Router connection during this.)

Can someone shed some light on this, or come up with a way to force comcast to let me use my own router.

Thanks,

Nick

MomoCC

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Comcast forces its business account customers to use a specific router, making them use one that allows remote configuration. That's their policy and unfortunately I have no info on how you can change that.

What you can do though is demand they restore the connection you're paying for. It could be an ultimatum: either you let me use my router so that I won't have any future issues, or I take my business elsewhere.