Correcting File System Type error in partition table

April 13, 2004 8:59:49 AM

File system type in the partition table has been
misstakenly changed. The disk was originally formated as
a NTFS type now File System Type is blank or is not
recognized. How do I correct this problem? This was
my master disk. I now have it setup as the slave
drive. I'm trying to recover the data on the disk but
the system thinks the disk has not been formated. Any
ideas?
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 4:51:22 AM

"Bob Anderson" <Robert.Anderson@atk.com> wrote:
> File system type in the partition table has been
> misstakenly changed. The disk was originally formated
> as a NTFS type now File System Type is blank or
> is not recognized. How do I correct this problem?
> This was my master disk. I now have it setup as
> the slave drive. I'm trying to recover the data on
> the disk but the system thinks the disk has not
> been formated. Any ideas?

If you know your way around partition tables, try ptedit.exe. It's a
freebie available from ftp.powerquest.com/pub/utilities that allows you to
directly edit the partition-type byte in the partition table. I think XP
will block direct access to the hardware, so you'll probably need to run it
from a DOS floppy boot or similar.
!