HD4850 and Catylist Control Centre

Bobbyeagle

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Hey
I have a HIS Radeon HD4850 Turbo IceQ graphics card (CCC v9.11) which is overclocked at the factory by HIS. However, the clock speeds it came with are very unstable and I have been trying to get a stable clock speed for some time now. I was getting a lot of display driver crashes and I noticed that this occured less when I played around with clock speeds but I havn't managed to get rid of it all together

Possibly the biggest problem with this is that CCC limits the GPU clock at a 500 - 700 Mhz and the memory clock at 1100 to 1200 Mhz. I read (at the link below) a good stable clock speed for this card is 700/1050 but am unable to test this out. I did notice that the link I provided shows CCC allowing users to go below 1100 Mhz.

So I was wondering, is there any software I can use to properly overclock this card, or is there any way to derestrict CCC?
I should note that I've tried RivaTuner (doesn't support this card) and ATI Tray Tools (which clashes with my anti-virus).

Any help would be great
Rob

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252343-33-overclock-radeon-4850-beginners

PC specs -

HIS Radeon HD4850 Turbo IceQ GPU
Intel q8200 2.33ghz quad core processor
4 gigs DDR2 ram
Windows Vista 64bit (yeah i know, but i'm planning on getting windows 7 after I have a car)

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
48xx cards run at lowered clocks while in 2d, thus the 500 lower limit for ATI Overdrive settings which probably matches your 2d clocks of 500. The upper limit set by CCC is dependent on the model and the manufacturer's specifications. HIS Website lists the stock clocks at 650/2000, though there are later revisions that are higher clocked (685/2200) so perhaps you should post a screenshot of GPU-Z for us to mull over.

Perhaps updating your drivers to 10.4 (most current available) can help. If it causes issues, you can always go back to 9.11.

It is strange that the card can't run at the factory specs reliably. This may be a good case to utilize any RMA options you have, but only after you have ruled out your PSU. Please list your PSU model and any/all 12+ amperages listed on the side of the power supply. If have witnessed a 4870 running like your descriptions, and an upgraded PSU fixed the issue, as he was running a crap unbranded 500w unit.

Bobbyeagle

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

Oh and here's the info you requested... take no note of the current clock speeds. It's simply me experimenting

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9710/gpuzo.jpg

The psu is a Cooler Master 600w ATX12V

numbers listed on the side are...

+12v1 = 18A
+12v2 = 18A
-12v = 0.8A

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
That is a good PSU, so unless it is deffective, it is looking more and more like the card needs RMA. You should probably test the card out in another computer just to be sure, but at this point I would be looking at an RMA on the GPU.

Bobbyeagle

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

By RMA do you mean return materials authorisation or something? (ie - warranty replacement) If thats the case I do hope I'm still covered under warranty. In any case, thanks for the advice all!

There's no reason the card should be unstable at factory overclocks. I'd say definitely RMA it (and yes that is the warranty replacement).

However! For your future knowledge you may like to check out ATI RBE bios editor. This is a program that allows you to permantently set the GPU BIOS to whatever speeds and voltages you want while also allowing it to have idle state. It lets you tweak the fan speeds as well although I haven't had success with that so I still use Afterburner for fan control. Oh and you can set it's CCC limits too.
http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/