9800 GX2 probelm's with Asus Striker II

Sloppy998

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hey guys ive been having problems with my rig ever since i put it together.

My set up includes:
Mobo:Asus Striker II 790i
GPU:EVGA 9800 GX2
CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
HDD:500gig
PSU:BFG Tech 800watt

It seems like i am having an overheating issue with the 9800 gx2 combined with the Asus Striker II and with a little googling i found http://www.dv-depot.com/get/geforce-9800-gx2-heat-crashes/

I have replaced the PSU becuase it blew up once so im pretty sure power has nothing to do with it.

When the 9800 gx2 is stressed the system just locks for example when i play crysis or mirrors edge on high settings it lasts 5 mins max. When the settings are lowered it can last 30 mins max. I have played wow with almost no problems at all.

The only other strange thing i have noticed is when connecting my lg flatron l227wt monitor to the top dvi port (there is two dvi ports on the card) i get no video at all in vlc media player or any other media player (i have codecs). When connecting the monitor to the botton dvi port i have video fine. It seems to me the rig locks up faster while playing games when in the bottom port but im not sure if thats just in my head and isnt the case.

The link provided says a fan placed above the mobo south bridge solves the overheating issue but i dont know where to get a fan or what type or how to fit it etc :)

Any help and opinions would help a lot! thnx<3

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I wouldn't recommend BFG PSU, they've never been the best of quality. The Asus Striker 2 Extreme (which i'll assume is the 1 u have. Has mojor improvements over its much hotter and much more unstable little brother Asus striker 2 formula 780i ( trust me that board was a terrible 1, I just got rid of my 2nd 1 after the southbridge melted onto the Heatsink). So I doubt its a combination factor of the GX2 and the Striker 2 extreme.

First of all, what are your temps? If the system locks and you still have display it may be a motherboard issue, my Striker 2 formula use to lock up even at stock speeds on my q9450 when the NB would be running really hot.

Now if it freezes and you don't have an image it might be the video card. If thats the case, grab riva tuner, and put the fans on 100%. Yes it will be loud, but we'll see if theis is the problem or not. If everything works fine, then RMA the GX2 and tell them that its overheating, or see if there is anything you can do to improve air circulation in your case.

Sorry if I'm all over the place.

So again: Check your motherboard temps and make sure that your Northbridge is around 50-60 (63 idle may work but most ppl like to see 50s on idle).

Southbridge should be the problem for overheating it doesn't really get as hot as the southbridge does, but theres no harm in checking.

If the NB is around 65+ on idle I'd really suggest trying to lower the voltage (because some motherboards make them higher for no reason) or try to think of another route to lower it's temp.

Now moving onto the video card. The gx2 runs hot, every1 knows that. I mean mine would run around 65 on Auto fan idle, and arond 70-75 on load (still with the Auto fan) though some games made the temps higher.

Check to see that the temps don't go past the 90-95 mark, I mean even high 80s is alot, but BFG said these things have been known to hit even 100...but no1 likes a hot running card.

My theory is if you can't comfortably keep ur finger on any heatsink for more than 30 seconds its too hot:).

give those a try and let us know.

Sloppy998

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Ok i installed everest and nvidia system monitor to look at my temps (i havent checked them in a long time).

Since i have turned my pc on the temps on the gpu1 started at 70C and climbed to 125C?!?! The gpu2 climbed to 114C. This is idle just browsing the web and what not. I couldnt even get to see what the temps were under load because as soon as i started a game it just crashed. I get two types of crash, the first being that when im playing a game the screen will just freeze and the sound repeat itself over and over. The second crash my monitor just goes black and says power saving mode.

I downloaded riva tuner but im not too sure how to work it so i left it alone for now.

Im using an antec 900 it has 1 fan at the top of the case and 2 wind tunnels at the front but i dont think i can change there speed through a program. They are just connected to the psu not the mobo.

What do you think i should do? RMA?

Thnx

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I would strongly try to clear up some room so that the airflow is really not obstructed in your case.

Do you have an exhaust fan?

If you have nothing around the card and your doing everything right (can you get some pix of the inside of your case so we can see how everything is organized?

Worse comes to worse RMA, thats way past the temperature limits...thats even too much for full load next to the sun:)

With a card running that hot, your risking increasing the temps of your motherboard, and motherboard components.

Sloppy998

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hey liquid thnx for all your help btw, here are the pics

Case1.jpg

case2.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq317/Sloppy998/case3.jpg[img]

[img]http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq317/Sloppy998/case4.jpg

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Damn i forgot that the PSU in the Antec P900 makes the power supply blow air up :S

K everything looks good (some cable management wouldn't hurt:p but everything else is fine:D)

I mean look my system....its soo crowded yet I still do around 45-50 C degrees idle.

DSC00044-1.jpg

DSC00045-1.jpg

Sooo yeah I would try RMA, or call EVGA and see whats going on:p The PSU might be adding to the heat...sometimes they get really hot.

Gapius

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
HI!
I have the same problem with my Asus GX2! GPU temps go up to 125 C deegres. I use same processor and Rampage Formula. This is hapening for some weeks now. I will contact ASUS for support and keep you guys updated.

Gapius

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
HI!
I have the same problem with my Asus GX2! GPU temps go up to 125 C deegres. I use same processor and Rampage Formula. This is hapening for some weeks now. I will contact ASUS for support and keep you guys updated. :D

Gapius

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
HI!
I have the same problem with my Asus GX2! GPU temps go up to 125 C deegres. I use same processor and Rampage Formula. This is hapening for some weeks now. I will contact ASUS for support and keep you guys updated. :D