What would be a good video card for this system?

This is the system I'm building:

PSU Rosewill RP500-2 500W ATX12V v2.01
Ram Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz
MB MSI K9N2GM-FD AM2+/AM2
Hard drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM
and a DVD burner I bought at walmart

The only things I'm going to add to it is a video card and 2 more gigs of ram.

Here are some examples of some of the games I'm going to run:
Dead space
fall out 3
never winter nights 1 and 2
diablo 2
Doom 1, 2, and 3
The bladur's gate games
and basically a bunch of the older games.

Which would be a good video card for me to get later this year?

Also I'm going to be running windows XP and ubuntu 8.10 on this machine.
9 answers Last reply
More about what good video card system
  1. ATI HD4850 from the info you've given... what res you going to be plaing at?
  2. I'm not sure which res's I'm going to be playing at exactly.
    At the lowest 800*600 and at the highest somewere around 1240*960 I'm guessing I haven't played any of the newer games yet.

Also did I choose a good power supply to support a video card that will do what I want to do?
  3. yes whats the res? Do you want to run everything on max settings? And what is the price range? Fallout 3 would increase the quality of the card needed. So maybe ATI HD 4870 512MB. But that really depends on the res.
  4. For something like dead space or fallout 3 I want to run them at somewhere between medium to high res.
    And I want a card that is $200 or less.
  5. still the HD4850... the PSU seems fine, although i recommend a better montior for a better res... never put it as low at 800...
  6. This is a new build, right?
    If so I`d use a better PSU, something from Corsair, OCZ or PC Power and Cooling at around 550W and get a HD4850.
    Yes, I know the PSU is a bit too much, but if it`s a new build I`d expect at least 4 years out of it and the Rosewill just wo n`t cut it (12v 18A 12v 16A)
  7. OmegaStalker said:
    still the HD4850... the PSU seems fine, although i recommend a better montior for a better res... never put it as low at 800...

I already have a very good Samsung monitor that is capable of very high res's.

This time I'm building a cheap and good computer, After I add more ram and a good video card that's all
    I'm going to add to it for at least 4 or 5 years. And by that time you will need windows vista to run windows games.
    What I'm going to do for a while is try to add a bunch of the older windows games to my collection and a few of the new ones
    as I've already mentioned.

Thanks for the help guys.

Also I have one more question. Is the ATI HD4850 compatible with directX 9.0c?
  8. The HD4850 is a DX10.1 card so DX9.0c is fine for it.
    And I really mean it about the PSU, get something better.
  9. Thanks for the help guys. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics