Am I Safe? CPU Temp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
So I have been at around 4000 MHz on my i7-920 for about a week (maybe more I can't remember), with the RAM at 1528 8-8-8-24, CR 2. It's been completely smooth, and has not frozen even once! :)

HOWEVER, my CPU temp has gone up just a bit.. I was under the impression that increasing voltage would do this, but I never touched my voltage. Now my average core temp is 55 C. It used to be around 50 C. I saw something on the Intel website that indicated it probably is fine, but I want my PC to last me a few years (5?). Even though I might get another computer before that time, I still want it to last just in case.

Question: Is 55 C okay for the i7-920? I have attached a screenshot of my CoreTemp. This is pretty much what it looks like after the computer has been on for a while (I leave it on almost all the time). The highest it hits is around 70 C, but that is only here and there. I am not putting it under heavy load often. Is this okay? Should I slow my CPU down to get the temps lower? Please do let me know! :)

dobcs5.jpg

UPDATE: I just turned the CPU down to 3500 MHz and the temperature didn't change a bit. So I put it back at 4000 MHz for now. Please let me know about those temps? :)

Solution

Those temperatures are okay for your CPU, and well within Intel specifications.

However......

It does not make sense that your temps are the same regardless of your processor speed. (Maybe your sensors might be bad?) It does not make sense that they changed for no reason (maybe thermal paste degeredation?)

I agree with the others saying you should replace your heatsink, and I reocommend Cooler Master Hyper 212 +. This one is on sale for $20 if you have a microcenter near you...

CheckMate2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi, I'm a real novice, but i've got a hunch.

are your voltages just set to auto? I know that with my i7 860 when I raised the BCLK to 200MHz the voltage rose from 1.16 to 1.35 and the max IMC voltage is 1.7. and I think this step up of the IMC voltage may have contributed to temps going up.

Did you just reduce the multiplier when you backed off to 3500? If it is your IMC voltage that is causing the heat then maybe just reducing the multiplier won't affect the IMC voltage which might be why the temperature didn't change.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hey,

Yes, my voltages are set to auto. When changing back to 3500 I reduced the BCLK from 191 to 167, and left the multiplier at 21.

The default voltage for the i7-920 is 1.26 I believe. I can set it to that voltage manually and try using the 3500 and 4000 MHz to see if that helps. Maybe it was putting my voltage higher than I need..

I am using an ASRock X58 Extreme motherboard with stock Intel fan and heatsink.

Either way, you sort of didn't answer my question at all (although I appreciate what you have mentioned :) ).

dobcs5.jpg

I really want to know if those temperatures are "normal" and safe to go on with (50 C low, 55 C average, 70 C high--See image above). Anyone/Everyone please let me know! Thanks :)

CheckMate2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

When I was running prime 95 on my i7 860 also with the stock heatsink my core temp was around 77 - 80 degrees. I ran it for 5 and a half hours with no mistakes. When Idle my temps are 22-30 degrees. And my clock is just the factory clock at the moment. I'm supprised you have clocked up to 4GHz on just the stock heatsink!! I want to clock mine to 4 also but I have just ordered a corsair H50-1 water cooler to help me out. Also it sounds to me like you may not have stress tested it? I would suspect that if you have clocked to 4GHz without improving the cooling and stress tested it, and your idle temps are already 55 degrees, that it would get a lot hotter than 70 degrees when stress testing!! Have you done any stress testing?

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hi,

Once again (no offense at all :) ) you are not really answering the one question I have asked!

No I haven't stress tested it because then the temp will sky rocket! However, when I use my PC I am not under any heavy load. I am mostly an average user that is a student learning Graphic Design. So, it's not that I would ever have the CPU on 100% load...ever. After being on for a couple days my computers highest recorded CPU temp was 70 C. The average temp that it stayed around was 55 C.

Right now I am at 3507 MHz, 50 C average, 65 C high until I get an answer about those other temps:
16c9kc3.jpg

Once again--I want my PC to last me until December 2014 (which will be 5 years from the time I purchased). Please let me know if 70 C high and 55 C average are okay/safe/normal, and allow my computer to last that long (as far as you know)? That is all I am asking about right now. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can let me know their opinions on that because if they are okay I will go back to 4 GHz! :D

70C is fine as a maximum but if you have not stress tested it then oneday you could do something that causes the temps to go higher. Also if the voltage is set to auto then it will increase automatically as you overclock (most likely higher than needed). If you never cause the CPU to run 100% and want it to last 5 years then don't bother overclocking it.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Simon, and everyone,

As far as not bothering to overclock..Well, even in my every day use I noticed a real difference when I do overclock the CPU. It's nice to get it running as fast as I safely can. Honestly, I just turned the speed down to stock (BCLK 133 x 21 CPU Multiplier) and the temperature is still idle at 45-50 C depending on the core.. Under Prime95 blend test, the CPU reached 70 C with 100% load..

BTW, I changed the voltages manually. I also quickly realized that AUTO increases the voltage as I increase CPU speed. :)

This brings me to a couple questions:

1. What voltages are stable with the i7 920 at: 3507 MHz (167 BCLK x 21 CPU Multiplier), 3990 MHz (190x21), and 4015 MHz (191x21)?

NOTE: I had the 3507 running at 1.15 volts and it didn't crash at all..maybe that will help you estimate what would be okay for the others!

2. If I am hitting temps around 50 C when I don't overclock, should I just not worry and go ahead and overclock it to maybe 3500 MHz? What are your opinions on this? (see temps below to compare)

At 4015 MHz I am running at 55 C average, 70 C high (not under stress testing--just every day use).

At 3507 MHz I am running at 45-50 C average, 65-70 C high (once again, not under stress test--just every day use).

At 2800 MHz I am at 45-50 C average, 65-70 C high (tested in Prime95 with 100% load).

That being said, if I want my PC to last me for a few years (5), what should I do? Should I just not bother OCing? OR is it okay for me to OC since the temps between the three are so similar? I would really like to overclock, but only as long as my PC can last me! Are these temperatures okay?

I really want as many opinions I can get on this, so please let me know! :)

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I guess my real question in the end is: Will my PC/CPU be totally fine with the temperatures I mentioned?

Stock (2800) - 45-50 C, 70 C at 100% load with Prime95

Overclocked (3500/4000) - 55 C, 70 C at most with my every day use (but way higher if I test with Prime95--once again, I don't do anything to my PC that is as demanding as that test)

I understand Prime95 will make my CPU get hotter than 70 C when I overclock, but it doesn't get any hotter than that with my every day use. Even when it does hit 70 C it's not for that long--it's just brief random moments, but 90% of the time it's at 55 C. Keeping that in mind, is my PC going to last me until December 2014 as long as my CPU doesn't go above 70 C?

notty22

Distinguished
No, I think it might only last to Feb 5, 2013? lol, sorry couldn't help it.
There is no way, its a good thing to o/c a 920 to 4ghz with the stock cooler.
Start prime 95 and select 4 threads, thats out of 8 with hyperthreading. Thats 50% cpu load, report back your temps after 15 or so minutes. I'm thinking at 4ghz it will cascade up to the 80's/.

savior02

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Hello,
my idle temps for my 920 at idle are 53 51 52 48 and at load no higher than 75 am I safe? I have it overclocked at 3.8 1603 I would like my cpu to last forever I have never had a cpu fail on me..... So I would like to know..I have asus p6t deluxe v2 and zerotherm core92 heatsink

Edit: my cpu voltage is 1.09 its the lowest it can be for it to be stable...ran linx and prime95 with no errors or blue screens.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Savior, way to hijack my thread man... :p You should really read some forum etiquette before posting like that! If you have a question, and it is the same question I am asking about, just wait for a response instead of trying to ask about your own PC first! :p

Anyway, Notty, the thing is--I will never put my CPU under as much stress as Prime95 does. I understand that Prime95 is great for testing stability, but it's really overkill for trying to know if my PC will be okay for every day use... That is why I stated the temps that I did before. After being on for a couple days straight at 4000 MHz my CPU never went above 70 C. I am not a demanding user, seriously! :)

I understand Prime95 will make my CPU get hotter than 70 C when I overclock, but it doesn't get any hotter than that with my every day use. Even when it does hit 70 C it's not for that long--it's just very brief random moments, but 90% of the time it's at 55 C (talking about when I overclock..if I don't then it averages about 46 C).

Will my PC/CPU be totally fine with the temperatures I mentioned? Assuming that I am giving you an accurate temperature for my CPU when I use my computer, will it be okay and last me a few years? 55 C on average, 70 C high.

For now I am running it at 2800 MHz w/ 46 C until I get some more response :)

Thank you so much for everyone's time! Please continue to help me out :)

UPDATE: Okay, so now I have turned hyperthreading off and I am getting amazing results. I am now running the same temps as stock speed with 4015 MHz when HT is off!

So please consider this question as well: 2800 MHz w/ HT on, 1.15 Volts, and 45-50 C -OR- 4015 MHz w/ HT off, 1.26 Volts, 50 C?

Thanks again, I am looking forward to the responses! :)

savior02

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
trancelunes I wasnt attempting to highjack your thread since i havent seen anyone else respond I said what the heck maybe trance will have some input by matter of comparison thats all no need to get on the defensive about my post..i was just adding on because I really would like to know as well..

there is really nothing that makes my cpu to spike to 100% like prime95 does so im not that worried...but linx makes my temps go higher close to the 80's and to me that one is overkill...

notty22

Distinguished
Those temps are the Cpu 'case' temp.
At idle on intel cpu's the case temp is about 10c more than the cores, they don't scale completely linear. I5 750 is 73c, your cores would be in the 80's. Not sure if there is a 'max' core temp. At 100c core temp, the cpu throttles to save itself.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
One thing I am also noticing is that today I have the air conditioning on and my temps are way lower now! So right now at 3507 MHz my CPU is at 40-45 C :) ...However when it is warmer, the temps can hit 50-55 C, and 70 C under load (only for a second though--nothing constant). Please let me know about that temperature? As far as I know I have been told that if temps/volts are okay, then the CPU will last. My voltage is always 1.26 or less, and the temps sometimes go up to 55 C, 70 C under load (but just for a second, nothing constant!).

MY QUESTION: Given the fact that I want my computer to last me a few years (December 2014 is my time frame) and my voltage is always 1.26 or less, is it okay if my CPU runs around 50-55 C, and once in a while hitting 70 C under load (for just a second--not constant at all)?

OK the temps are OK but its anyones guess it may last 20+ years with the over clock or die in 2 at stock settings the only sure thing is any setting above stock will shorten the time scale. Also in the time frame software will advance and use more CPU power and you will be hitting higher temps more often.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
"..the only sure thing is any setting above stock will shorten the time scale. "

I've seen users on these forums say that they overclocked several PC's and had them running fine 5 years down the road! In all honestly, that is all I want..5 years. If I don't get a new PC in 5 years that would suck because I am sure it will be outdated by then. :p Anyway, I thought it is voltage/temperature that shortens life of CPU? If I have good voltage and temperature at 3500-4000 MHz, why would my CPU life span go down?

I look forward to hearing more opinions about my question!!

MY QUESTION: Given the fact that I want my computer to last me a few years (December 2014 is my time frame) and my voltage is always 1.26 or less, is it okay if my CPU runs around 50-55 C, and once in a while hitting 70 C under load (for just a second--not constant at all)?

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

You just don't give up, you want someone to agree with you that it will be safe.

NO ONE is going to do that, at least no one that has been doing this for a while. NO it is NOT safe to run an OCed i7 cpu with the stock cooler.

SO, just take your chances or get a good cooler, your choice, it's your computer after all.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
RJR, relax. I am not being stubborn, I am just simply looking for an answer about that question.

All you are saying is "No don't overclock with stock cooler."

What I am looking for is: "Yes, if your temps are ## C at the most it is okay." OR "No, those temps will not allow your CPU to last 5 years in my opinion/are not okay/safe."

So, if you want, give your opinion in regard to those temperatures.

Right now I am at 3507 MHz and my highest core is at 50 C..The PC has been on for a while now and the highest temp I have hit all day is 60 C. This is probably because I had the A/C on today...

QUESTION: That is why I want to know about 55 C, and 70 C during very brief peak moments (for 3507 MHz I use 1.15 volts, for 4000 I use 1.26).

Anyone/Everyone please let me know what you think about those temps. Will they most likely allow my CPU to last me a few years? My goal is to have this PC until December 2014..So I just need to know if those temps (55 C, 70 C during very brief peak moments) are okay for my CPU?

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I would buy a new CPU cooler and some arctic silver 5 compound if you use the stock cooler.
Those temps lock kind of high, to be safe at list change the thermal paste with AS 5. I managed to overclock my CPU not that much with stock cooler but the paste can help.
I do not have your CPU but i would recommend to buy a better cooler. If you do not want to spend a lot of money on it buy arctic freezer pro rev2 witch if i remember right supports 1156 and 1366 sockets.

If you really want to use your PC at those high temps i think it will last you 4 years..:).
But i can't guarantee, it can last more or less..he he..
The processors these days use high-k alloy that does not last as long as the old CPU's lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.