Sign in with
Your question

Cheap RAID Performance

Last response: in Storage
June 16, 2010 12:22:49 PM

I am sure this has been answered before but I can't seem to find a solid answer.

I am thinking about using a RAID 0 setup for my OS on my next build and instead of buying two nice drives, what if I went with three or even four cheaper drives. I know adding drives is supposed to increase performance, but is there diminishing returns when doing this?

Also can I rely on the motherboards RAID controller or would I need to get an external card?

This build will be used for a bit of gaming and as a mid level development server

More about : cheap raid performance

a b G Storage
June 16, 2010 6:48:40 PM

The more drives you put in RAID 0, the greater your risk of failure - any drive failure & you lose data on the entire array. For gaming, maybe that's not an issue - for development, is your data in a different location?

I'd stick with 2 nicer drives, or an SSD, plus frequent backup.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 16, 2010 8:22:29 PM

SSD for the OS

Raid 0 if necessary for development.

Raid 1 or NAS for backups
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 17, 2010 1:44:20 AM

raid 1 isn't backup, it's just a bit more redundant - external storage is best for backup (of course, if it was on a NAS it could be raid 1)
m
l
June 18, 2010 6:38:10 PM

From what I've read, you might consider WD's RE drives. I've heard that you shouldn't have any problems with a drive dropping out of the RAID do to the drive timing out. They cast a bit more, but if you data is safe...... that's the whole point.
m
l
June 18, 2010 8:00:20 PM

I just installed 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 gig HDs in raid 0 config in my second rig in my signature. I created a 250 gig first partition for the OS and games and another partition for data. It's fast! Got both delivered for $89!
m
l
June 24, 2010 10:51:27 AM

1 week later and the raid is running very well. I downloaded AMD's Raid Expert. Nice to look at status of the HDDs
m
l
a b G Storage
June 25, 2010 5:31:21 PM

Nice, I like the Samsung drives and may try some in my NAS. Will only buy SSDs from now on for any other computer in my house.
m
l
!