Cheap RAID Performance

vtmadcow

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
I am sure this has been answered before but I can't seem to find a solid answer.

I am thinking about using a RAID 0 setup for my OS on my next build and instead of buying two nice drives, what if I went with three or even four cheaper drives. I know adding drives is supposed to increase performance, but is there diminishing returns when doing this?

Also can I rely on the motherboards RAID controller or would I need to get an external card?

This build will be used for a bit of gaming and as a mid level development server

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
The more drives you put in RAID 0, the greater your risk of failure - any drive failure & you lose data on the entire array. For gaming, maybe that's not an issue - for development, is your data in a different location?

I'd stick with 2 nicer drives, or an SSD, plus frequent backup.

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
From what I've read, you might consider WD's RE drives. I've heard that you shouldn't have any problems with a drive dropping out of the RAID do to the drive timing out. They cast a bit more, but if you data is safe...... that's the whole point.

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I just installed 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 gig HDs in raid 0 config in my second rig in my signature. I created a 250 gig first partition for the OS and games and another partition for data. It's fast! Got both delivered for $89!