Asus P6T Deluxe V2 - New build with boot problems?

MasterRaichu

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Hi all.

I've been looking for a problem similar to mine on this board and others, and I'm stumped. I'm new at building machines, but I'm pretty tech savvy otherwise so I figured I'd give it a shot. I've built a video workstation for my freelancing business, but I'm having problems getting past the BIOS first boot. All parts on my build are brand new. Here are my specs:

built in an Antec Nine Hundred case:
Intel Core i7 940 (using stock cooler for now)
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Mobo
OCZ Reaper PC15000 DDR3 1866MHz (6x2048)
PNY NVIDIA Quaddro FX 3800
Ultra X3 1000w PSU
Hitachi 1TB SERIAL ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G (x4, going to make 2 sets of RAID)
Lite On 6X Blu Ray ROM/ 16X DVDRW

Assembly was no problem. When I booted up for the first time, I was able to get to the BIOS menu with no issues, either. However, after setting specs in the bios (making my DVD Drive primary boot and configuring RAID), saving and rebooting, I get nothing but a black screen.

I am able to reset CMOS and get back to the first boot screen. But once I access it for the first time, save and reset, I get the black screen again. No splash screen, no anything. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I read somewhere that people were having issues when their hard disks were plugged into SATA Ports 5 and 6, so I specifically set all 4 of my hard disks in ports 1 through 4. Still having the same issue. I also tried starting up and not configuring RAID, but I'm having the same problem.

I realize that I have more disks in this build than most people will, so I'm wondering if its a problem specific to that, or whether it has anything to do with it at all? I'm at a loss for what to try next.

Has anyone ever had a motherboard just not function past the first boot? I'd love to know what I can try next, and any input would really be appreciated!

Thank you!

niteman11

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
have you tried updating the bios?

MasterRaichu

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I did the BIOS update to the newly released 0406, and everything went exactly the same as it did with the old BIOS. First Boot worked fine, did all the manual settings with the disks, and it still reboots into the black screen.

I did check the QVL list for this board, and I realized that my RAM is not on it (the same brand is, but its a different call number). I guess it's not a good idea to use this then?

chinh_n

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
try disconnecting all peripherals, optical drives, and use only one stick of ram and just boot into bios. load setup defaults and save and exit. see if it can reboot. if not, i think its probably the board's bios is messed up not your ram.

MasterRaichu

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Hey guys, finally got everything working

It was a RAM issue. I've never built a machine before, so I didn't realize that I had to set all the timings and voltages manually. I learned how to do that, and everything went smoothly. ALSO, For some reason my board didn't have ExpressGate on it by default, so it was trying to boot into an ExpressGate that wasn't installed, causing the black screen issue.

Lessons I've learned from my first computer build:
1. Set RAM timings and voltages manually, even if your board has automatic settings.
2. Disable factory-installed OS's when attempting to install your own OS.
3. Check forums for lots of help

Thanks for everyone's assistance. I really did try all of the things you suggested here. I appreciate the help, and the fact that you were all nice about it! Thanks again!

BTW, for anyone else's reference who may try the setup I have, the RAM timings for OCZ Reaper PC15000 1866 memory are 9-9-9-28. I couldn't find that number anywhere.

varocketry

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
MasterRaichu:

ANy more specific advice for settings and configurations for this ASUS P6t V2 Deluxe build. I am doing one this weekend as a first time builder. I am not aware of many of the issues I read about in manual configuration but I Plan to read the MB manual thoroughly.

How do you update the BIOS when the system isn't built yet?
Thanks.