March 21, 2009 5:04:37 PM

So i recently built my new i7 rig.
EVGA x58
i7 920
6gb Dominator 1600 mhz
9800 gtx
(2) 320 gb in raid 0
700 watt OCZ gamerextreme
xclio a380 PLUS ---(case) -- have plenty of ventilation in the case with a 360 mm fan on the side, 250mm in the front, 120mm in the back, and another on the top.

i got the 1366 bracket for the cnps 9700 and used it with AS5. my idle temps on my i7 at stock are around 51 C! when i run prime 95 it goes up to 85 C!! help! i thought the 9700 was very powerful. could my cpu/ mobo be bad?

(i even tried pressing on the heatsink to see if the temps drop but no help)

More about : 920 idle

March 21, 2009 6:23:34 PM

I would try re attaching the heat sink that cant be right at stock speeds, even with a stock cooler thats high.

i just built my bro a core I7 system and ising a third party heat sink around £50 clocked at 3.6Ghz and 1.25v it hits a max of 54c on prime 95 and idels around 32c

Either the heat sink is not attached correctly or thier is summit up with the CPU or even MB perhapes. though i would look closely at heat sink first.

March 21, 2009 6:26:51 PM

Pressing on the heatsink will not do anything. Reseat it, check google for photo instructions and see if that helps. It is idling a little high and under load is ok, but it could be lower.
Related resources
March 21, 2009 6:28:10 PM

the heatsink lookslike its attached right. when i run prime95 and touch the heatpipes they are kinda warm and as i move away from the cpu they get cooler. im pretty sure its attached right because it can barely rotate and its not loose.
March 21, 2009 6:34:42 PM

That doesn't matter reseat it anyway.
March 21, 2009 6:39:05 PM

ok, will do now.
March 21, 2009 6:49:06 PM

i reseated the heatsink but i still get the same temps...oh yah just updated, my load temps are 85 not 75.
March 21, 2009 6:58:46 PM

Something isn't right. Did you clean off the old thermal paste with alcohol before reapplying? Is the heatsink fan plugged in and spinning?
March 21, 2009 7:02:15 PM

no, i didnt reapply the thermal paste. the fan is plugged in. i only have a little paste left and i thought that maybe i need a new cooler so i was gonna save it for that.
March 21, 2009 7:05:53 PM

You have to clean and reapply paste whenever you reseat. I would not run the machine until you do this.
March 21, 2009 7:16:11 PM

do you think this will help? i think the 9700 is not powerful enough for the i7 920... should i just get a new HSF?
March 21, 2009 7:22:38 PM

I am not sure with i7 but it should be at least better than the stock HSF.
March 21, 2009 7:22:46 PM

Heat sink may not be placed right so good contact isn't being established. That and you may want to load up on fans.
March 21, 2009 7:24:25 PM

mamw93 said:
Heat sink may not be placed right so good contact isn't being established. That and you may want to load up on fans.

i reseated the heatsink...no help. when i turn the 9700 fan all the way up its only a 2 degree drop. (celcius)
March 21, 2009 7:46:43 PM

Did you follow instructions on how to install the thermal paste? Arctic Silver states that you should only put a thin line of thermal paste on the CPU.

Heres a link to their instruction manual.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

You need to use fresh thermal paste when reseating a heatsink. Also remember to clean off the surface from residue before applying thermal paste. Rubbing alcohol will do the trick.

I would suggest not using the system until you manage to get some more AC5.

Good luck.
March 21, 2009 8:00:52 PM

9700 is poor design

heat pipes like 90 degree turns not curves

air blows out all over and instead through and sealed

over rated - as i said for years! but they are beastly in size

use these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250728-28-xigmateck-t...

by the way if your voltage is set to 1.4 qpi and 1.35v and speed is 4ghz that is good - it that is stock that stinks - you need more details
March 21, 2009 8:06:57 PM

dragonsprayer said:
9700 is poor design

heat pipes like 90 degree turns not curves

air blows out all over and instead through and sealed

over rated - as i said for years! but they are beastly in size

use these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250728-28-xigmateck-t...

by the way if your voltage is set to 1.4 qpi and 1.35v and speed is 4ghz that is good - it that is stock that stinks - you need more details

ok, i'm gonna get the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366 RT. Do you think i should (NEED) to get another fan so i could have two fans on the heatsink? will it imrove the temps much? im on a tight budget. if i do get another fans for dual fans, do i have to get this http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright-Ultra-120-Series-F... for the fan? thank you.
March 21, 2009 8:16:53 PM

no doubt the TRUE is good do not use a true to heavy unelss you are ok with it being heavy

xig is a lot light if that makes a difference

noctural makes the best cooler it appears but its double sided fan - add to fans to any cooler! http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/nonhsecpucof.html

check the review at another site

i use xigs by the way on most systems
i use TRUE or old 120 on some - but they are beastly

i am going to try the noc next -- it looks promising!

March 21, 2009 8:22:47 PM

dragonsprayer said:
no doubt the TRUE is good do not use a true to heavy unelss you are ok with it being heavy

xig is a lot light if that makes a difference

noctural makes the best cooler it appears but its double sided fan - add to fans to any cooler! http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/nonhsecpucof.html

check the review at another site

i use xigs by the way on most systems
i use TRUE or old 120 on some - but they are beastly

i am going to try the noc next -- it looks promising!

so the 120 is too heavy for the mobo? which one cools the cpu to the lowest temp? also will it fit the evga x58?
March 21, 2009 8:24:22 PM

The TRUE should be fine, it really helps lowering temps. You have to get another fan bracket, if you choose to have a push pull configuration.
March 21, 2009 8:26:00 PM

shadowthor said:
The TRUE should be fine, it really helps lowering temps. You have to get another fan bracket, if you choose to have a push pull configuration.

can you post the link to the fan bracket? i dont know whick kind it is...
March 21, 2009 8:48:30 PM

if i get the TRUE i 'have' to lap it right? how about the Noctua, do i need to lap it?
March 21, 2009 8:54:10 PM

You don't have to, but at least with the TRUE it has been shown a nice improvement with lapping.

Read what this guy did.
March 21, 2009 10:52:57 PM

all have merits

research which is best

you want max oc 4ghz then go true or noc
you want to save moeny run the xig

you want both run the xig with 2 fans!

y w!
March 22, 2009 1:12:32 AM

Here is a link to a lot of the Ci7 coolers done on an actual i7. Different coolers will perform differently depending cpu family and heat load. MCM chips are different than monolithic cores and small cores are different than large.

I personally like the TRUE and use two of them, but do agree that the base flatness leaves something to be desired. The standard took less than an hour to get nice and flat but the copper took many hours and isn't quite done (I have about 80% of the center area done but two sides are still untouched).

With two fans (Thermalright TR-FDB-2000) on my TRUE I idle in the mid 30's and load in the upper 60's (linx) at 4g (192x21) with HT off and a room temp 72f.
March 22, 2009 1:44:01 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. I decided to go with the Noctua. It offers the best performance for the cost. If i got the TRUE then i would have had to lap it and get it another fan for my tastes. I found out that the 9700 doesnt cool the i7 enough because of the surface area. The i7's are bigger (in size) than the core 2 duo or quad. Therefore, the 9700 bottom part is small enough for those CPU's. The i7's have extra pins which makes them bigger and require bigger heatsink footprints.
!