Running two displays as one with vista

All right so i have two acer p221w lcds hooked up to my 8800gt. What i want to do is configure the card so vista sees the two displays as one. By that i mean that instead of having two separate displays the picture will be stretched across the two monitors at a resolution that is both of them combined (sorry if thats confusing). I remember being able to do this with two crts and xp, i could run my desktop and games across the two (aka i could play cod4 at 2560X1024 and have one montior take half and the other take the other half. I dont see and option that will let me do this in the nvidia control panel anymore :??: . Does anybody know how i can get this to work? I would like to be able to use both of my monitors for games. Im running 178.13.
7 answers Last reply
More about running displays vista
  1. I think what this is called is a multimonitor span. Im downloading 178.24 right now, so ill see if that fixes it.
  2. 178.24 is for xp :(, now im getting 181.20. (sigh)
  3. You shouldn't have a problem, i also used that config under xp. I can't remember if i did under vista though.

Once you finish installing the latest drivers, go to the nvidia control panel. You should be able to find what you need under "setup multiple displays."
  4. Grrr.... just installed 181.20 and i didnt get a span option, im still stuck with dual-view, clone, and single. This took me under 15 seconds to set up with xp, why cant i do it in stupid vista (oh and ps this works fine for me in linux ;) )

Here is another tread of people with the same problem
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=21267

Are there any custom drivers that give you a horizontal span option?
  5. Well now im starting to get pissed off. Apparently nvidia DROPPED support for horizontal spanning in vista because of "incompatibles with dwm". REALLY? :fou: . Apparently ati and matrox cards have no problem with spanning in vista. This is complete bull, my 240$ monitor is now useless for gaming, all because of nvidia being too lazy to fix their friggin drivers :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou:

Im not happy.......................
  6. That's totally lame. The only thing i can think of is either revert to xp, or check this little thing out.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/

Horizontal span will just have to be another thing MS fixes in sp2
  7. You can return the card and get a Radeon. Or you can sell the 8800GT and get a Radeon if you really want that in vista. But that costs a lot so the best option would be install xp and play the game under xp.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Displays Windows Vista Graphics