How do you Remove Thermal Grease?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Wipe it off with a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol, and let it dry.

I use Heptane (Bestine). It can be gotten from any graphics arts supply. It also removes any rubber cement based stickers.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I have a bottle of 'cleaner' in my desk that I may take sips from after seeing certain customers. :p

Vodka is a little more pure, and leaves no residue compared to normal rubbing alchohol, which I use most commonly for Video equiptment.

Any alchohol will work though. I generally use old Tshirts I've sliced up. Though I've never thought of coffee filters, I dont think I could stand working with that texture.

bluzman32

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
i will also be replacing my heatsink for the first time. Is it recommended that I remove the CPU and clean it while holding it, or should I leave it on the motherboard slot? Also, is a credit card really necessary to remove the stock intel grease?

f1racer8292

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Do you think like a cotton ball with alchohol on it would work, and do you keep it on the motherboard or take it off the mobo? THanks

millwright

Distinguished
If you leave it in the socket you can't bend the pins if it is a pga.
If by stock intel grease, you mean pad, a credit card might help, pads are pretty tough. when trying to remove a heat sink I've pulled PGA processor right out of the socket with our lifting the lever they stick so hard.
solvents like mentioned above will remove a pad , but it takes a while. Even if you scrap it off with a credit card, you will still need solvent

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You can probably leave the CPU on the mobo. You will know when you try to remove the TIM. All of the TIM residue must be removed, if it won't come off easily then use something to scrape it off that won't scratch the top of the CPU (IHS).

Use pure rubbing alcohol i.e., no additives lanolin etc. and preferably 90% or better but not critical, 70% will do.

Lightly wet the coffee filter and rub the CPU, don't douse the CPU.

Don't use a cotton ball, either a coffee filter or other non shedding cloth.

Run the machine if you can and remove the HS when it is warm. Use a slight twisting motion to break the HS free. Be very careful with ZIF sockets e.g., Intel 478 etc.

millwright

Distinguished
don't use too much past either. the past is only for the places that don't touch directly between the heat sink and the processor.
If processors and heat sinks were perfectly smooth and flat on a microscopic basis you wouldn't need past at all. the past only fills the microscopic holes, no past made can transfer heat as well as the parts that touch directly