New build problem - SOLVED!

Snickerf

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Okay, for Christmas, I promised myself a new computer, and the last pieces arrived today (Christmas eve, yay!). So I assembled like a fiend, following every book, step by step. I've built systems before, so I'm not surprised at the current situation, but it's still exceedingly frustrating.

The suspects:

Case: Antec 900
Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro
Proc: Core2 Quad 6600 (With an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro w/ Artic Silver 5)
RAM: 2x 2GB GSkill (slotted in the "yellow" slots)
PSU: 750watt PC Power and Cooling
Video: Sapphire Radeon 4870 x2 (yes, the big honking one. I told you - it's Christmas). Slotted in the upper PCIe slot
HD 1: 500 GB Seagate 7500 RPM SATA (Formatted, blank)
HD 2: 1 TB Western Digital 7500 RPM SATA (Formatted, blank except a few applications I wanted to have ready to go)
Monitor: ASUS 22" DVI
OS: (If I ever get to install it): Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate

After assembling everything I didn't have anything unexpected left over. The connecters that came with the motherboard made plugging the power and reset switches in a breeze (something I usually fight with). Some of the power cables are a tight fit (next time, modular. Rails be damned) I have plugged both a 6-pin and a 6+2pin PCIe power from the PSU into the video card. Without those, the video card spins like mad, but has red lights all over it. So I'm falrly certain the power is in the right place.

On boot up, all fans start as expected, HDDs spin up and DVD burner light comes on. Keyboard and mouse are responsive, and there are no - repeat NO - POST beeps. Can this motherboard even produce them??? I removed the RAM to test and still got no noises...

Anyway, end result, and where I'm stuck is this: The system powers up, doesn't beep, and there is no indication from the monitor that anything is going on. If I switch DVI ports, the monitor acknowledges that it's been removed, but still reports no DVI signal, no VGA signal. I'm fairly certain that if I could get a video signal, I'd see it stopped at the "no bootable devices detected" error message, because pressing Power shuts it down instantly I'm lost guys, and desperately need your help if I'm to have a merry Christmas.

Thanks, and happy holidays to everyone!
Helpless in Houston

Snickerf

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Yes - for god knows what reason, they have a 2x2 cap over half the 8-pin socket on the mobo. Then they tell you to remove it and attach the 8-pin connector. *shrugs* It was probably designed by the Department of Redundancy Department.

So, that's not it. You thinking I don't have enough power? 750 watt power supply isn't enough?

Did you connect a speaker to the motherboard? Not all Antec cases include a speaker and your motherboard doesn't have one.

If the keyboard and mouse are responsive, then the system basically works , but the video card doesn't display anything. Is that correct?

When setting up a new system, I usually make sure that the motherboard can POST by installing the CPU, memory and a known to work PCI video card (those are not even worth $5, but they are very useful). That leaves very little that could be wrong and it makes debugging much easier. If it works, then I start adding other components like the keyboard to configure the BIOS, etc.

This sounds like a memory problem. Try with 1 stick of memory? Exactly what memory do you have? If it is volted higher than 1.8~9 volts, this could be the culprit as most boards will default memory voltage to only 1.8. Sadly, if this is the case, the only way to get going if it will not boot with just 1 stick is to find a stick of memory volted lower, get the thing to boot so you can go into the BIOS and set the voltage manually high enough for your higher volted memory to work. (if this is the case)
If not, start by removing the board from the case, lay it flat, put in just the CPU/heatsink, video card and 1 stick of memory, start from there.

Snickerf

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
It's G.Skill - 1.8~1.9v RAM, so that should be fine.
Yes, there are two power connectors for the video card, and both are in place. How would I plug a speaker in to the motherboard? Just rip one from another case?

I don't think the ASUS board has a speaker on it, (good ol cheap built ASUS)
My DFI board came with a very little tiny speaker that plugs onto the speaker header so you can hear the beeps, just like this......
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
If your board did not come with one, yeah, you'll have to find a speaker to hook up to it.

Or, actually my DFI board has an onboard speaker, it was another board I had, maybe an MSI board, but I do recall one of the boards I bought had this little speaker in the box to hook up to it.

Snickerf

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Okay, well, the ASUS didn't have one, but I have a bonepile to pick from so I ripped a speaker from an old case. I also found an S3 Virge 4MB PCI card in that case (and I think a fragment from the dead sea scrolls, too...) Plugged in the speaker, and got one single "I'm working just fine!" beep. So I pulled the RAM to force a POST error. That worked - I got the expected 1 long, 3 short, so at least I had a starting point. Put the RAM back in, swapped video cards, and the video appeared, but still nothing from BIOS. Pulled the RAM again, and tried one stick at a time. No go.
Finally, I decided to try a different slot for the RAM.

Bingo.

Apparently, the G-Skill doesn't like being put into the yellow "overclocking" slots until everything is configured properly. Also, it doesn't appear that the BIOS is properly auto-detecting the timing, so I'm going to set that manually and see if everything else works out. Had to go to work, so we'll see if I can get Vista 64 Ultimate installed tonight.

Thanks for all your help!!!