SATA HD compatability in RAID0

xxDoc_Hollidayxx

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Stupid Question but gotta ask. Friend gave me a WD5000AAKS, and a WD5000ABYS for my new build, on an M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/ Phenom II Black Quad...... are the 2 drives compatable to run in a RAID0 array? (Not my kinda luck tho) And if not (more along my kinda luck) should I buy another ABYS or another AAKS, or (this will prob. be me) do I have to, god forbid my mom's gonna kill me, buy new drives. If that's the case does Goodwill help out the needy with new 500GB sata hard drives? (hehe) HELP! By the way the thread on striping and short stroking.... kicked more ASHE than a donkey! Good Stuff. Teach me Sensei. sincerely THE FNG.

Solution
To comment on your 2nd post:

Installing SATA II 3.0Gbps drive to a SATA III 6.0Gbps mobo port will not change anything about the hard drive, it'll still go at SATA II speeds.

However, be aware that some drives don't even run on SATA III ports, even thought they should be backwards compatible.

And, hard drives don't even come close to flood the SATA II bandwidth. My drives, 2 in RAID 0 only get 150MBps, and my single gets 110MBps. That's approx. 1/3 the bandwidth. (Note my 150MBps is in RAID 0, so I should have double 3.0Gbps, but I don't.)

To comment on your first post:

I'll have to check the drive information.

I found that the WD5000AAKS is a Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal...

xxDoc_Hollidayxx

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
OH, also this mobo is 6GBs sata ready does this affect how I build my array (ie: how i actually cable it to mobo) and will I be able to effectively get somewhere near 6GBs by striping a RAID0 array with SATA HD's, or is that pretty much for the "BALLIN" SSD crowd? (No offense to any1, just adding some color to conversation)

To comment on your 2nd post:

Installing SATA II 3.0Gbps drive to a SATA III 6.0Gbps mobo port will not change anything about the hard drive, it'll still go at SATA II speeds.

However, be aware that some drives don't even run on SATA III ports, even thought they should be backwards compatible.

And, hard drives don't even come close to flood the SATA II bandwidth. My drives, 2 in RAID 0 only get 150MBps, and my single gets 110MBps. That's approx. 1/3 the bandwidth. (Note my 150MBps is in RAID 0, so I should have double 3.0Gbps, but I don't.)

To comment on your first post:

I'll have to check the drive information.

I found that the WD5000AAKS is a Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive. Blue is better than Green, not a good as Black.

I found that the WD5000ABYS is a Western Digital RE2 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive. Now, I think that the RE means RAID Enabled, recommend for RAID setup. And WD is very picky about this. They will not support non-RAID drives in a RAID array.

Now, they are the same size, cache, and RPM. So I think a RAID 0 will work fine. The only thing I'd check is read/write speed for them. If not equal, the array will be dropped to match the lowest drive rate.

Good Luck.

Solution

xxDoc_Hollidayxx

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Thanx for your help especially on the second question, in regards to the first, i just watched a tutorial on youtube listed as newegg raid0 setup, and they installed a raid 0 array on a 250GBdrive and a 750GB drive, both of same manufacture, but were different types and theirs ran ok, so maybe the Puter Godz smiled my way for once. Thanx Bro.