Building a router, where are the NICs?

Coltin

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I'm not currently building a router, but I plan to in the future. I'm in the "looking up parts and dreaming about them" phase. I want to build a physical machine I can use as a router, but my google'ing skills are so weak I haven't been able to locate any NIC's (if that's even what I should be looking for) that have what I want.

I want something with 4 lan ports for my PCs, and be able to do wireless for the laptops. I know such a thing exists, but I can't find any for sale.

If it matters, I've been looking at pfsense as my OS.

Edit: I'm looking for places to buy nic's, online or otherwise. I live in Canada.

Quad port Gigabit Ethernet adaptors are easy to find (PCI-X or PCI Express). You'll have to buy a separate wireless adaptor. It will be an expensive solution, but you'll have a good performance router.

NIC: http://www.ecsrv.com/ShopItem.aspx?No=566768&CatCono=136337&ProductNo=737048. You can google "Quad port Gigabit Ethernet" to find other NICs, but Intel and Broadcom probably are the best, particularly if high performance is required.

If your OS supports Realtek 8111C chips, you could buy a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 motherboard that already includes 4 LAN connectors.

What wireless adaptors can be used as a base station with pfsense?

TRENDING THREADS