Sign in with
Your question

CPU is idling hot w/ new heat sink

Last response: in Overclocking
May 26, 2010 6:19:02 PM

I just installed a new Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 because I am planning to overclock. Looking around at what temps people get, mine seem quite high in comparison keeping in mind its only a E6400 and its still at default clock speed. In retrospect I wish I knew what temps I got with the old heat sink, but I never checked. When I start my computer, the temp is at around 50 C, and it seems to settle around 58 C after being on awhile.

I have one solid idea why this might be happening. When installing the heat sink, the way I have it positioned it is coming into contact with the northbridge heat sink at one corner. Maybe this is preventing the heat sink from having full contact with the CPU? When installing it, I dropped a screw and I had to pick up the heat sink after I already placed it, and the paste was on it on both sides, so this might not be the problem. Still its the only thing I can think of.

I am using the paste that came pre applied. Room temp is approx. 26 C. Does anyone know why this may be happening and is there any way I can lower these temps?
May 26, 2010 7:24:33 PM

theres prolly a massive air bubble in there from applying the HS taking it off and reapplying. only thing i can think of. and if the hs is touching the nb then yea...wouldnt have 100% contact either
a c 158 K Overclocking
a c 218 à CPUs
May 26, 2010 7:40:05 PM

1. Yes, if the HS is hitting the NB, that's a problem

2. Yes, you must reapply the TIM

3. If you can't get it to fit, see if you have any better luck with this one.....comes in 3rd place in benchmarkreviews test right behind two $75+ solutions

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
May 26, 2010 7:52:03 PM

Well the only way to position it so it isn't hitting the NB is either pointing up or down towards the GPU or the PSU pretty much. If I'm going to do that I'm assuming that down to the GPU is better.

Also when I was installing I found the directions ambiguous and I wasn't sure which direction to put the fan in; does the fan blow out or suck air in to the heat sink? Right now I have the fan towards the RAM, because thats how I saw it in pictures of all the big review sites.
May 27, 2010 3:26:23 AM

I just switched it around so that nothing is obstructing it, although the air flow is probably worse. By the way, when I took it off the thermal paste was spread out across the CPU/ heat sink so I don't think the NB was a problem.

Anyway, I just started my computer after re doing everything, and it actually started hotter than before. Right now real temp is reading 57 and my computers probably been on for ~5 min.
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2010 3:50:52 AM

theacclaimed said:
I just switched it around so that nothing is obstructing it, although the air flow is probably worse. By the way, when I took it off the thermal paste was spread out across the CPU/ heat sink so I don't think the NB was a problem.

Anyway, I just started my computer after re doing everything, and it actually started hotter than before. Right now real temp is reading 57 and my computers probably been on for ~5 min.

Did you clean-up before re-applying the TIM? Use cotton buds and alcohol.
It needs to be really clean and really dry before you add the TIM.
May 27, 2010 4:29:51 AM

Yeah of course. I just got done playing a game and its at 64.
May 27, 2010 5:09:20 AM

A couple things I thought of:

1. For the current application I used arctic silver 5, which I've had around for awhile now (3 years or so). I have been storing it so it is pointed down, but its just in the middle of my room. Also when it came out it seemed more liquidy/wet than i remembered, but nothing crazy. Is it possible for thermal paste to go bad?

2. Maybe the heatsink I bought is defective somehow... was thinking about going back to the intel stock HS and see what temps I get. Thoughts?
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2010 5:11:20 AM

theacclaimed said:
Yeah of course. I just got done playing a game and its at 64.

If the thing's in a tube, try applying a big pea-sized dab in the middle.
If the TIM is in almost liquid form and comes with a brush, you could try leveling it with a credit-card.

Lastly, when attaching the hsf, try screwing down the screws or pins diagonally.

I.E.
1------2
| |
| |
3------4

Try screwing down only a bit of 1, then a bit of 4, then a bit of 2, then a bit of 3, then a bit of 1 again (repeat until the whole thing is down.

.... After that/If you already did that, I'm pretty much out of ideas.
May 27, 2010 5:36:16 AM

Well, there are actually only two screws, and yeah I try to go back and forth. I actually applied a line according to AS5 directions I printed out awhile ago. The only thing I could fault this time is that once I placed the HS down, I moved it around quite a bit in order to line it up with the screw holes and all that. I could probably do better, but I hardly think thats the problem as it'd be impossible to do it perfectly, and AFAIK you're supposed to rotate it to squeeze out air anyway.

I mean like I said I wish I had looked at temps before this because idk if I have always ran at these temps or what... Maybe its my case, but idk how to get a case temp.

Also just to be sure, how long do you recommend waiting after cleaning to re apply paste?
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2010 9:01:39 AM

theacclaimed said:
Well, there are actually only two screws, and yeah I try to go back and forth. I actually applied a line according to AS5 directions I printed out awhile ago. The only thing I could fault this time is that once I placed the HS down, I moved it around quite a bit in order to line it up with the screw holes and all that. I could probably do better, but I hardly think thats the problem as it'd be impossible to do it perfectly, and AFAIK you're supposed to rotate it to squeeze out air anyway.

I mean like I said I wish I had looked at temps before this because idk if I have always ran at these temps or what... Maybe its my case, but idk how to get a case temp.

Also just to be sure, how long do you recommend waiting after cleaning to re apply paste?

With 70% isopropyl, I think about a minute or so is good enough.

With 99%, it dries almost instantaneously.
May 27, 2010 11:41:11 AM

You'r problem is NB, try install on another position.... And go with one little dot or line of thermal paste...

I use line method on my i5 750 with CM Hyper TX3 and Cooler Master thermal compound, now my temps is fine. Under full load 100% in Prime95 my temps is 54-51-52-51C on stock speed, with artic freezer must be better.

And,
best position for one heatsink with heatpipes is a horisontal position, becouse in verical position fluid in pipes go down (simply gravity).

Try and you'r temp will be better for 2-3C for sure.
May 27, 2010 7:35:29 PM

Misko195 said:
You'r problem is NB, try install on another position.... And go with one little dot or line of thermal paste...

I use line method on my i5 750 with CM Hyper TX3 and Cooler Master thermal compound, now my temps is fine. Under full load 100% in Prime95 my temps is 54-51-52-51C on stock speed, with artic freezer must be better.

And,
best position for one heatsink with heatpipes is a horisontal position, becouse in verical position fluid in pipes go down (simply gravity).

Try and you'r temp will be better for 2-3C for sure.

I already did reposition it, and unfortunately the only way to do that is so the pipes are vertical, although the temps are the same anyway. None of this seems to be the issue, since twice now the temps have been the same.
May 27, 2010 9:48:59 PM

Look closely, maybe have broken pipe and liquid is out. Make sure to fill all crack between pipes and base with thermal paste, than go with vertical line or dot (i prefered line)

Also look closely, is base on the heat sink flat, go and put on mirror or pice of glass.
If you can, try this cooler on another mobo. And if still don't work go and replace this one for another...

p.s. i have you temps without fan, just a heatsink ( average temps. 48-51C idle) look you'r fan, he spin or not and is it correctly instaled...
If you have choice to change for another cooler take CM 212+, is better option... I don't go with 212+ only becouse this cooler don't fitt in my case :( 

I hope this will help....
May 28, 2010 1:19:58 AM

I don't know what I can use to control the fan, or see how fast it is spinning; I tried speedfan but nothing is labelled and idk if my mobo just isn't compatible but I wasn't able to set or change any fan speed.

I think I would've noticed a broken pipe, also there are no cracks between the pipes, the base is flat. From what you're saying my best bet is to just pop on the stock HS, because honestly theres no point in spending more money on another HS.

Also I did some google searching and got the idea that maybe its my mobo and the temp readings are wrong... but I don't know how to diagnose this. Also I read to check my voltage setting in BIOS, but CPU-Z says its 1.296, which from reading around is fine, maybe even lower than default.

edit: I went into BIOS, and my CPU fan is running at ~1850 RPM, is this decent? Also, I noticed that my MB temp is listed as 46 C, is this hot? Perhaps my CPU is hot because the MB is hot?
May 28, 2010 11:09:11 AM

I don't know what model of mobo you have, but i think that is little hotter of normal. I have MSI P55-GD65 and my temp is 31C.

Try this, go in BIOS and click on "LOAD OPTIMAL SETTINGS". Than save and exit, go in windows. Run CPIID Hardware Monitor and see voltage, fan speed and temps on every components. Then write here...

btw fan is ok, he spin with default speed about 50%. This is fine, on higher temps will spin faster....
May 28, 2010 9:19:13 PM

I don't know if my BIOS has that option but I will check right now. I could also reset it if thats what you mean.

Also I put in the stock heatsink, and it starts in the high 50s, so the other one seems like it works better and isn't the problem.

edit: yeah the only option like what you said is load setup defaults. For the record I have a ASUS P5N-E SLI

And heres what you asked for, although I didn't change anything in the BIOS yet:
May 29, 2010 1:05:40 PM

Everything looks normal, you'r CPU fan is FANIN0 and he spin good. You SYS temp is high becouse CPU is very high, SYS temp depend of CPU.

Max temp on E6400 is 61.4 and avoid to go above it (you idle temp is too high)

Nothing, i wanna help you but there is something wrong with CPU obviously. Go is store from where you buy CPU and tell him about you'r problem and change this CPU for another one. Or, try install this one on another mobo if you can...

btw go in BIOS and see what CPU temp is there...
May 29, 2010 8:38:26 PM

Well temp in BIOS was 47C last time I checked. Anyway I was planning on upgrading my PC and was just overclocking to see if maybe I didn't have to. At this point I mind as well just go ahead and upgrade and hopefully the problem will go away with new parts. Thanks for the help though.
May 29, 2010 9:15:24 PM

No problem, it's ok. Glad to help.

Just to know, in BIOS is always temp lower for 5-10C
!