E7400 Not Compatible With P35?

I have a MSI P35 Platinum Motherboard and i just installed an Intel E7400 cpu in it. It will not post. I read some reviews on Newegg that a lot of people are having problems with the msi p35 not working with the E7400. Is this a common problem or did i just get a bad cpu?
9 answers Last reply
More about e7400 compatible
  1. Did you try updating the mobo's bios?
  2. Yes the bios is the latest from MSI
  3. Is it on your motherboard's list of supported CPUs? If so, does it support the E7400 revision that you have?
  4. Intel Core 2 Duo is on the list of supported CPUs. Not sure what revision is?
  5. Intel Core 2 Duo being on the list doesn't imply that all Core 2 Duo
    CPUs will work. You have to check the list at MSI to be sure that a specific CPU is supported: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/P35_Platinum_(MS-7345).html

According to that site, the E7400 is supported with BIOS version 1.9. Is your BIOS at version 1.9 or more?
  6. Not 100% sure it is version 1.9, but i updated it about 1 month ago, so it should be. Im guessing i just got a bad CPU. Thanks for the help, I'll update this thread and let everyone know if my new CPU works after I RMA this one. Thanks for pointing me to that cpu-upgrade site Honorary Poster, great resource there!
  7. You should have BIOS version 1.10 since it was released on Nov. 10, 2008.
  8. Ok, I found the problem. Before I RMA'd my CPU I tried one last thing. I had 4 gigs of ram installed and decided to pull 2 sticks just to see what would happen. With only 2 gigs of ram it posted with no problems. Not sure why this was the case, but thought I'd let everyone know. Thanks for all the help!
  9. It depends on the memory modules that you have. It's always more difficult to drive 4 modules, particularly if they are overclocked, etc.
Ask a new question

Read More

MSI-Microstar CPUs Compatibility Motherboards