Audio device on high definition audio bus?

mattbm2001

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
First of all here is my computer

Asus M3N72-D mobo
AMD Phenom x4 9600 cpu
4gb of DDR21066 OCZ Reaper memory
ATI 5770 HD
2 1tb drives in Raid 0 configuration with dual boot system of XP SP3 and Windows 7 ultimate

Last November I won a 40'' HD TV which I have sitting aprox 5 feet from my computer. I have a hand full of HDMI Cables, and thought it would be cool to hook my TV up to my computer for some racing games. The first time I hooked it up I was booting in windows 7. I plugged it in, all worked great, full sound and video coming from my TV.

Round two, I am in XP, hook it up, get video, no audio. On Windows 7, HDMI showed up as an option in my sound devices, simple as can be. In XP all I see is my Realtek HD audio device, and my Razer Megalodon headset. I open up my device manager, and see two instances of Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus with the dreaded yellow question mark.

I have my sound drives installed, first through ASUS website, then through realtek. I upgraded to SP3, used windows hotfix number KB888111. I still have the question marks, and still no HDMI sound option. I would like to think of myself as a knowledgeable person when it comes to computers, but this one is really aggravating me.

Can anyone offer some advice, and possibly a solution? Thanks in advance

-Matt

mattbm2001

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
For some reason the link didn't work properly but I believe I found the one you were pointing to. I installed the nvidia drivers, and it got rid of one of the question marks, however I do have my TV hooked up currently and it still offers no sound device. The uaa driver is installing at the moment, will reply again when it's completed

Hmmmm... I have an ATI video card, an older one at that, and it has dual DVI outputs, and I use an adapter from DVI to HDMI and get sound just fine. I have several of these adapters. The one that allows sound does NOT have the four pins at the blade pin of the DVI plug. I've never been curious enough to find out the whole difference in the two types of adapters. The adapter with all pins including the 2 above and below the blade end of the DVI plug doesn't send sound.

If you don't have the ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
you can get it (52KB)
HERE.

Here is a couple screen caps of what to shoot for....

DevMgr.jpg

SoundDev.jpg