OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
hi i want to connect a normal 3 fin fan but i cant find the 3 pin on my mobo... is it not there or am i just blind... if its not there how do i connect it to a molex doing a diy style job dont want to buy an adapter...

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Many of the newer boards switched to a four pin fan connection, the switch allows for fan speed control by your CPU's power savings software. You can still use a three pin fan on these new four pin connections they have the tab keyed for use with three pin fans to make sure the fan uses the proper three wires. You just don't have the speed control for the fan like the four pin connection would. For your motherboard just look in your manual it will have a diagram of all the connections on the board which will show you where alll the fan headers are.

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
im already using the 4 pin for my cpu fan and want to attach another to draw out the hot air coming from my GPU so i screwed in a fan to the side of my case adjacent to my 8800GTX heatsink but cant work out where the hell to attach my fan... no spare 3 pin and 4 pin being used...

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
You arent going to do to well diy messing with splicing wires, since that's your only option without an adapter.

But a better question: Isnt the 8800GTX a dual slot cooler? In that case, all of the hot air is exausted out of your case anyways, and you'd just be creating a tidy little vacum that will make your 8800 blaze.

TRENDING THREADS