120C+ temps on 9800 GX2

Sloppy998

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hey guys ive been having problems with my rig ever since i put it together.

My set up includes:
Mobo:Asus Striker II 790i
GPU:EVGA 9800 GX2
CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
HDD:500gig
PSU:BFG Tech 800watt

When the 9800 gx2 is stressed the system just locks for example when i play crysis or mirrors edge on high settings it lasts 5 mins max. When the settings are lowered it can last 30 mins max. I have played wow with almost no problems at all.

The only other strange thing i have noticed is when connecting my lg flatron l227wt monitor to the top dvi port (there is two dvi ports on the card) i get no video at all in vlc media player or any other media player (i have codecs). When connecting the monitor to the botton dvi port i have video fine. It seems to me the rig locks up faster while playing games when in the bottom port but im not sure if thats just in my head and isnt the case.

Ok i installed everest and nvidia system monitor to look at my temps (i havent checked them in a long time).

Since i have turned my pc on the temps on the gpu1 started at 70C and climbed to 125C?!?! The gpu2 climbed to 114C. This is idle just browsing the web and what not. I couldnt even get to see what the temps were under load because as soon as i started a game it just crashed. I get two types of crash, the first being that when im playing a game the screen will just freeze and the sound repeat itself over and over. The second crash my monitor just goes black and says power saving mode.

I downloaded riva tuner but im not too sure how to work it so i left it alone for now. The GPU fan seems to be maxed.

Im using an antec 900 it has 1 fan at the top of the case and 2 wind tunnels at the front but i dont think i can change there speed through a program (their switches are on maximum).

What do you think i should do? RMA?

Thnx