Take a look at my BIOS settings?

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hi, what does everyone think about this? Is there anything I can do to make these settings better??

Intel Core i7-920 CPU w/ stock heatsink+fan+pre-applied thermal compound
ASRock X58 Extreme Motherboard

Running Temps (AVG, HIGH):
-2660-2800 MHz (Stock) @ 45-50 C, 70 C

-3507 MHz @ 50-55 C, 70+ C (under 100% load--it's not like I am ever pushing my PC that far..so the highest it ever goes when I use is 70 C for brief moments)

-4015 MHz @ 55 C, 70+ C (under 100% load--once again, it's not like I am ever pushing my PC that far..so the highest it ever goes when I use is 70 C for brief moments)

Here are my BIOS settings:
vg1zpz.jpg

1. I want to keep my CPU temp as low as possible, and CPU-Z is saying that my CPU is using 1.248 Volts. Does that mean I can bring it down in BIOS to 1.25??

2. Also, my CPU temp is 50-55 C on average and 70 C at higher end...is that okay/normal/safe?

3. Please offer any experienced recommendations to make these settings the best I can?

NOTE: I want my PC to last me for about 5 years! Please let me know any recommendations etc? Thank you! :)

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

NOTE: if you want your cpu to last at all, DON'T even think about OCing an i7 with the stock heatsink.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
RJR, the temperatures barely change if I put it at stock... what about those temps? Even at the stock speed it runs at 45-50 C (70 C under 100% stress test). There is literally nothing I can do to get those temps lower unless I bought new compound+heatsink/fan (which I can't do right now).

You really think I should just not overclock at all given my information? Does anyone else agree? Also, please continue to comment on my original post above!

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Post a screen shot at 3.5 Ghz and 4.0 Ghz while running Prime95 for 10 minutes (also coretemp or Realtemp displayed) so we know what 70+c means and then we can give you a more knowledgeable answer.

Just so you know, the thermal spec for the Intel i7 9xx series is 67.9c (tcase), so approx 70-73c core temp. I'm guessing your load temps will be WAY above 80c (most likely 90's) with those OC's and a stock heatsink.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Well, yea if I use Prime95 with stock speed it stays at 70 C or below. If I do the same with OC'd speeds it goes above that just like you are saying. Meaning yes maybe even 90 C if I leave it on that long.

However, that goes back to what I mentioned earlier--I don't use my PC for tasks that are as nearly as demanding as Prime95. So while I admit that those temps would get out of hand under Prime95 testing, I never push my PC to that limit (so they would never go there).

I want to get my PC as fast as I safely can, and I also realize that just because Prime95 makes it get hot, that doesn't mean it will ever outside of those tests...you know what I mean? Seriously, I am just a graphic design student that uses Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and rarely Flash. Other than that I just like watching movies and videos online, listening to music, average stuff.. I don't play any games that are really demanding..

I guess my real question in the end is: Will my PC/CPU be totally fine with the temperatures I mentioned?

Stock (2800) - 45-50 C, 70 C at 100% load with Prime95

Overclocked (3500/4000) - 55 C, 70 C at most with my every day use (but way higher if I test with Prime95--once again, I don't do anything to my PC that is as demanding as that test)

I understand Prime95 will make my CPU get hotter than 70 C when I overclock, but it doesn't get any hotter than that with my every day use. Even when it does hit 70 C it's not for that long--it's just brief random moments, but 90% of the time it's at 55 C. Keeping that in mind, is my PC going to last me until December 2014 as long as my CPU doesn't go above 70 C?

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Running your CPU constantly at a high temperature can be very damaging and may have the following implications
- Reduce the Life of your CPU
- Randomly Freezes or Resets your computer
- CPU totally burns out (this would take some time, at very high temps to occur, remember intel cpu temperature can get very hot especially prescott series)
Another great way to monitor your cpu temperature is to include desktop widgets to monitor your CPU temp at all times.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Ricky, I have no idea how you thought saying that would be helpful at all, but I guess I appreciate the effort..Lol, you really just stated a couple obvious lines there..

I will greatly appreciate if anyone else can also give their opinion on my question..

I guess my real question in the end is: Will my PC/CPU be totally fine with the temperatures I mentioned?

Stock (2800) - 45-50 C, 70 C at 100% load with Prime95

Overclocked (3500/4000) - 55 C, 70 C at most with my every day use (but way higher if I test with Prime95--once again, I don't do anything to my PC that is as demanding as that test)

I understand Prime95 will make my CPU get hotter than 70 C when I overclock, but it doesn't get any hotter than that with my every day use. Even when it does hit 70 C it's not for that long--it's just brief random moments, but 90% of the time it's at 55 C. Keeping that in mind, is my PC going to last me until December 2014 as long as my CPU doesn't go above 70 C?

UPDATE: Okay, so now I have turned hyperthreading off and I am getting amazing results. I am now running the same temps as stock speed with 4015 MHz when HT is off!

So please consider this question as well: 2800 MHz w/ HT on, 1.15 Volts, and 45-50 C -OR- 4015 MHz w/ HT off, 1.26 Volts, 50 C?

Thanks again, I am looking forward to the responses! :)

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Notty, that's not really answering what I specifically asked! Although, I appreciate your time and effort!! :) I am specifically asking about those temperatures which I mentioned.

One thing I am also noticing is that today I have the air conditioning on and my temps are way lower now! So right now at 3507 MHz my CPU is at 40-45 C :) ...However when it is warmer, the temps can hit 50-55 C, and 70 C under load (only for a second though--nothing constant). Please let me know about that temperature? As far as I know I have been told that if temps/volts are okay, then the CPU will last. My voltage is always 1.26 or less, and the temps sometimes go up to 55 C, 70 C under load (but just for a second, nothing constant!).

MY QUESTION: Given the fact that I want my computer to last me a few years (December 2014 is my time frame) and my voltage is always 1.26 or less, is it okay if my CPU runs around 50-55 C, and once in a while hitting 70 C under load (for just a second--not constant at all)?

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
OK, let's answer your question directly so there is no miss-communication here.

IMHO, only a moron would OC an i7 to 4.0 Ghz with the stock Intel cooler and expect it to last a long time.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
RJR, relax. I am just simply looking for an answer about that question which you actually still did not answer. If you want to be a complete asshole when I am coming to the forums for various opinions, just don't return to the thread! No one is forcing you to come here! :)

All you are saying is "No don't overclock with stock cooler."

What I am looking for is: "Yes, if your temps are ## C at the most it is okay." OR "No, those temps will not allow your CPU to last 5 years in my opinion/are not okay/safe."

So, if you want, give your opinion in regard to those temperatures.

Right now I am at 3507 MHz and my highest core is at 50 C..The PC has been on for a while now and the highest temp I have hit all day is 60 C. This is probably because I had the A/C on today...

QUESTION: That is why I want to know about 55 C, and 70 C during very brief peak moments (for 3507 MHz I use 1.15 volts, for 4000 I use 1.26).

Anyone/Everyone please let me know what you think about those temps. Will they most likely allow my CPU to last me a few years? My goal is to have this PC until December 2014..So I just need to know if those temps (55 C, 70 C during very brief peak moments) are okay for my CPU?

393Clevor

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I understand your question, I'm no guru but I would think that if you never load it to 100% like Prime95 does you'd would be ok. What application puts that type of demand on your system beside a game or Prime 95? so if you never use it like that then what harm will it do? Like a performance engine that puts out 700hp @ 7000rpms and you never run it that hard, you only run it @ 3500rpms it should last a long time with the occasional bast to 7000rpms.

Might be way off the mark here but I do understand the question....

notty22

Distinguished

Yes, sure, sticking with the car analogy, anyone with that engine. Would have a 4 core radiator with a aftermarket flex fan, high flow water pump. So when he drives it once a year to cruise the beach strip it doesn't need to come home on a flatbed. Taking it farther, the various voltage settings and passing stability tests is akin to having the timing and valve lash set on the engine, with high enough octane gas in the tank !

393Clevor

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Sorry I blew up like that...lol Like I said I'm no guru, but I'm learning all the time. It just seemed like nobody was answering the question or understanding it.

If the motor never overheats a cruising speeds and it never is at full throttle what harm is it doing to the motor. Don't get me wrong I like overkill with everything I do if I can afford it and I always recommend it. I think what he is asking is to have the extra speed he needs at low demand without the extra expense of a bigger cooler and what not, will it hurt the cpu? Myself I would not take the chance, he could back it down and not notice the difference if it's not being pushed hard.

I've been a mechanic for 30 years sorry for using what I know here.... It's just seemed to fit the scenario...kind-a..lol

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Lol thanks for the good intentions 393Clevor! :p

My BIOS settings are actually different now. I think I MAY have 4 GHz running stable.. If it gets too hot then I will slow it down. Here is what I have the voltages at:
102p6xc.png

As you can see my IOH and IOH CSI are both at 1.2.. Is that okay? IOH is normally 1.110 and IOH CSI is normally at 1.16 ..What does everyone think about this?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

He answered it perfectly. You keep telling people they are not answering you correctly. Your first sentence is always very negative for the people that are trying to help you. Sure you put a little smiley face or an lol but it is negative and sarcastic. No one if forcing you to post questions here :) LOL

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
g725s,

Actually, it wasn't being answered perfectly. I am pretty sure I can read properly. I asked about SPECIFIC temperatures and all I was getting back is "buy a different heatsink" or "make sure it's stable" without getting any response about the temperatures themselves. The reason I wanted to know SPECIFICALLY about 50-55 C is because I see that people in hotter climates actually get those temps with aftermarket cooling.

I have reasons for why I wanted to know about very specific question. If no one was giving me an answer which DIRECTLY concerned that question, I am going to keep asking until someone does. Again, when I ask, "That is why I want to know about 55 C, and 70 C during very brief peak moments" and I get responses which don't even mention anything about those temperatures, then I am not getting a "perfect answer."

Fortunately, I had a similar post on another thread and I got what I needed out of it. That's why I love these forums. There is always someone out there that will understand exactly the type of response you are looking for.

Lastly, I will say the same thing to you--I am the one that started this thread, so no one is forcing you to reply. I get notifications when I get a reply to threads I am part of, so that is why I came back here (because I got one for your reply). If it makes you upset (which obviously it did just a little bit otherwise you wouldn't have replied), just don't come to this discussion anymore! If it doesn't make you upset, then just let me get the help I am looking for. If I am not satisfied with the quality or type of response I am getting, that is my call to make!

For the record, RJR has been helping me on the other threads I have been on. That being said, I'm pretty sure he doesn't need you to be his lawyer.