mgph

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Hi everyone,

I'm using GA-EX58-EXTREME mobo but having some problems with it. I often got blue screen errors (sometimes even at idling), performance while playing games seems slower than I expected and make me feel like not getting so much from it after all.

So, I asked my friend who knows about hardware (not so much but at least better than me) and he said there may be so many facts but one thing I should change is RAM (like testing me cause it seems he also not 100% sure).

Now I'm using 1x1x1 = 3gb (triple channel as it's advertised) and he's asking me to change 2x1x1 = 4gb. He explained why do so in our language (so I don't how to interpret it into English :kaola: )

I still don't understand why ? And you guys, gurus, what do you think about that ? Do you think it could improve performance and prevent more from getting blue screen ?

I'm totally newbie and just wanna stay away from annoying because of blue screen + its rewards.

My Specs is -> Vista 32/64bit (yes, dual boot)
1x1x1 OCZ3P1600
CPU Quad Core 9400(I've to check when I get back home - now at home)
ATI 4870x2
Mobo GA-EX58-EXTREME

Can someone help me ?
ps. Forgive about my English

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Are you using an i7 CPU?? An EX58-EXTREME will NOT work with a Core 2 Quad. You need at least a Core i7 920 CPU. You do have the tri-channel RAM right. You are likely having problems because of the CPU. Although, I don't know how you even got Vista on there, if your CPU is wrong. Double check your CPU, and it is also possible that your GIGABYTE motherboard is toast. Your dealing with 2 different sockets here, LGA1366 vs LGA775. EX58-EXTREME uses LGA1366. Hope that helps.

mgph

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008

Ah....yeah....i7 920....
Sorry as I was confused with my bro's pc specs. thanks

How about RAM ? 1x1x1 or 2x1x1 DDR3 ? Will it be really noticeable improvement to change 2x1x1 on its triple channel ? I don't want to spend another 100bucks for not-so-sure case.

Help me advise please !

I don't see a benefit to doing what your friend suggests. For your motherboard to work in triple channel, you need identical DIMMS in each slot. In fact in Vista 32, the extra 1GB would be wasted due to limitations of a 32 bit OS. If you really suspect the RAM is bad, and bad RAM is notorious for causing BSODS (had it happen myself with a OCZ Dual Channel kit DDR), it would be prudent to test your RAM. Download this: http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip . Burn it to CD and boot from it. Let it run for at least 8 hours (or less if it starts to error before 8 hours is up) to make your RAM is OK.

Now you didn't mention whether or not you adjusted the DIMM voltage. I am not familiar with Core i7 systems, I am still rocking a C2Q, but some of the principles are common. Voltage is important, but more caution is required with a Core i7 system as the memory controller is on-die and Intel has advised that it should not be raised beyond a certain point (don't remember offhand what it is though). I would put a little research into the specific parameters that OCZ gives for your RAM rather than leaving everything in the BIOS with regards to RAM settings, set to Auto.

mgph

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008

Thanks so much for your valuable information techgeek. So, I'll try the memtest myself first to know my friend's suspect is right or wrong. For the cautions you've suggested, I never try OC or such relevant things (changing voltage, CPU freq, etc...) unless a tech guru like you, is beside me :D

really appreciate your help...!

by the way, will 1x1x1 vs 2x1x1 be not so different in performance ? I also think so because as far as I heard is that such dual/triple channel will perform best only if the RAMs are the same.

suggest me please!