First time builder... i7

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Hey guys. Need some help deciding on a new computer... I'm a first time builder and have decided to go with i7... Be as harsh as you can be if I am mixing anything up or being stupid... I wanna make sure that this is all pretty good and is gonna work... And if you think I should change something up or just have an opinion PLEASE PLEASE do say so... That includes... brand... model... or make... or even things I should maybe wait for as the new year comes...

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128361) (Is there a reason why I should go with the UD5 instead of extreme... Only a $40 dollar diff. figure I should go with the stronger one)

Video Card - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801)

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202) (This is because I cannot afford the 2.93. Since I'm going with i7 would it be better to wait another month or so until I can get the 2.93 cpu?)

PSU - Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012) (Would it be ok to just go with the 850w instead? I would go with silverstone but thats alot more money)

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284)

Memory RAM - This part is still sort of blurry for me... I could use ideas here... I was thinking of going with 6 gb and therefore choosing the OCZ XMP Ready Series... 240-Pin DDR3 16000 (PC3 128000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory... If you have better ideas for the memory please help with that...

Sound Card - Creative XFI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty...

And thats pretty much it... Please please do help me... How does this build sound... What would you change... I am sort of on a budget but I can wait another month and probably get a little bit more... If there is anything I could downgrade I wouldn't really mind... I'm getting the i7 for more upgrade-ability later on... Not thinking of overclocking quite yet, not that experienced... OOO... and the Antec 1200 Case... And definately 64 bit Vista for system builders... not sure if ultimate or what not yet...

Thanks for the replies... I'll be checking this often... Ryan
:bounce:

Multiplicity

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
That is a pretty solid setup you chose.

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_ComparisonSheet.aspx?ProductID=2960,2961

This shows a comparison of those two motherboards. The only difference I see is the thermal solution the boards use. Not sure the extreme board is worth the extra money for that. I am unsure if going with Gigabyte is a good idea if you look at the reviews for the boards. Might want to look into EVGA motherboards.

You want the i7 920 because it is better value for your money. The difference is not much and overclocking can make the two i7's almost identical.

You'd be all right going with an 850W PSU instead if you do not have any intention on going with CrossFire with your GPU sometime in the future.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
you can get by with a lower psu, 700, 850 watt from like corsair

the 920 cpu can be OC'd to reach 2.93 speeds pretty easily from what i have seem, the 920 is the best buy right now

6gb should be fine for now in terms of memory

vista home premium 64bit usually does the job fine, no need for ultimate

you can even skip the soundcard, the onboard nowadays is pretty good

the antec 1200 is a nice case, you could even go for the antec 900, a bit cheaper and a bit smaller

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Alright... So I think I'm going with the 850 PSU from antec now... just because it has a good $100 deal off... Hope thats not because it sucks... Getting the ultimate vista... Theres a $50 rebate... And then instead of that memory I'm getting the other OCZ Gold 6 gb memory... DDR3 1600 - PC3 12800...
And I think thats the system I'm sticking with now... It's 1400 from newegg with combos... Not including shipping or warranty does that sound about right?
Thanks
Ryan

B_Cox

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
If i were you i'd take a look at the comparison between ultimate and home premium, theres very few differences, and even with the 50 dollar rebate, its still 30 dollars more for ultimate (i'm assuming you are looking at newegg)

if you need those extra bits for ultimate, by all means, but if its because of the rebate, you're probably better off getting home premium...

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
b_cox thanks so much for that, it turns out I was looking at a different premium haha... that does save me alot of money... knowing me i wouldnt of done the rebate either.... any other ideas on how to save money? maybe I could downgrade my hard drive as that is easier to replace than the motherboard... cpu... and graphics....? any other suggestions would be nice right now... dont wanna end up ordering someting a regretting it

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Alright so I decided I might downgrade on the graphics card for now and get a new nice one when it comes out... Maybe the gtx 295 or w/e it is... cant remember the exact # right now... What do you guys think about that? Instead of getting the 1gb 4870 should i downgrade to a 512mb 4870 or just go with a lesser radeon? I'm willing to try nvidia too for now... I plan on saving up for SLI or a completely new grpahics card since the new year is coming? Would appreciate the responses.... And any other ideas bout my build :D

Ryan

optional22

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The GTX 295 isn't a downgrade. It comes out in January and is the equivalent of two top end video cards screwed together. It will retail for $500-600.

If you are looking to downgrade, you should look at a 4870 512mb or a 4750. If you are running at 1600 or below resolution, you probably don't need 1 gigabyte of video RAM, so a 4870 or 4850 512mb would be a good fit. The 4870 512mb is about ~$30 cheaper, and the 4850 costs about ~$150.

ATi uses Crossfire, not SLI. No newer video cards expect for the GTX 295 are coming out until next summer, most likely. That is when the next generation of video cards comes out. If you like nVidia, you should look at GTX 260. Most people would recommend ATi right now, since the 4870 1gb performs better than the GTX 260 and slightly below the GTX 280, but also costs a hell of a lot less.

Cheaper nVidia cards include the 9800 GTX, which comes in several varieties. It is comparalble to the 4850, though the 4850 outperforms it in most areas.

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
SOrry I was tired when I was writing that and probably getting things mixed up. I know the 295 is not a downgrade... I think I'll plan on gettin the 4870 512 or the 4850 for now... And when the new gtx 295 comes out... I'll spend all my money on that... Next summer seem slike a bit far hehe...
Thanks for all the help guys... If you have any other suggestions for the comp plesae say so

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I am building a similar system. I am in the same process of finding deals and making decisions on parts.

I am getting the same processor. So far I am thinking about the UD5 board but I find so many mixed reviews on all of the X58 MB's, so I am indecisive on the MB right now.

I know I want to have 3-way crossfire or SLI just so I will have more upgrade options when this thing starts getting long in the tooth. So the asus P6T deluxe is out. I read bad things about the Gigabyte and the EVGA, so Im not sure about those. The MSI MB is out of the question. Just too many bios issues there.

So far I am stuck on the UD5.

I am also trying to decide on video cards. between the 4870 1 gb and 260/216 . I am getting one for now and will upgrade to two then 3 when needed. Having trouble deciding.

Ok.. Now onto helping you. Here is what I have found as far as deals...

I am getting this PSU. Its the new Corsairs TX850 PSU. This is the best deal I could find it for. $114.99 after rebate:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009821

You can get the CPU at tigger for $269.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4240166&Sku=CP1-I7-920

I am getting this RAM. IMO it is the best bang for the buck and this is the best price I could find it for

OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB PC3-12800+ (DDR3-1600+) Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Retail ***Free Shipping***
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009623

I am getting a CM HAF for $144 here

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001EPUQAE/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A256KD9C1BPC5J&v=glance

I still need to find a good place to get my Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme-1366 RT cooler.

Here is a link to my thread about my build. I have subscribed to your post. I will keep you up to date on deals I find. Please let me know what you find.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259300-31-yippee-weeee-gonna-help-please

Hope this helps. Please anyone.. jump in if I have something wrong or you think I can do better somewhere.

RoofusGreen

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
The GTX 295 is just two GTX 280s clocked at core 216 GTX 260s speeds wedged together. Its set for release on January 8th, so if you can wait, that would probably be the best option. If you buy the Radeon card now, you'll just have to throw if out when you buy your new card (can't run SLI or crossfire obviously).
As for ryankn852's post, it looks good to me. I got G.SKILL RAM, but OCZ is good too. As long as its not cheap low density stuff. You can get your cpu cooler off of frozencpu.com, but it'll be pretty expensive. I got a Vigor Monsoon III, which took my temperatures down by 20 degrees Celcius. I also have both the Antec Twelve Hundred and the Haf 932. Both are good cases. Similar noise level. HAF has slightly better cooling performance and more options on the front input panel, but Antec seems to have better build quality. I would go with the HAF, especially with the 50 dollar price difference.
I have the ASUS P6t motherboard, which I would highly recommend. My only complaint is that the setup doesn't allow for 3 double slot graphics cards. Its probably done that way to force you to pay an extra hundred bucks and go for the Rampage. But then again, if you're going to put in a sound card, you won't have room for that third graphics card anyway because you'll need the PCI slot right under it.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Checkout new egg combo deals. I am getting one for the UD5 and a SSC 260/216 for $528 ! They also lowered the price on the 920 to 279.99 !

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Ok so I've decided to go with the same combo you have for the video card... Although I'd rather the 4870 1gb this does save a little more money... I already have the antec 1200... It was $80 off a few weeks ago on newegg so I grabbed it right away. The ocz is always good and it did get a good review so I'll stick with that. Gigabyte had good and bad reviews but in my opinion it has always been a good company and the x58 mobos seem to stay really cool... I think I'll stick with it too. How easy is it to replace the PSU in the future... When I go SLI, or Crossfire depending on what new cards I buy will the PSU and Video Card be easier to replace than most? And should I downgrade the harddrive to something a little bit smaller maybe? It's my understanding that once I have an internal harddrive i should stick with it and not replace it as it has everything on it, I wouldnt want to have to restart it all and reinstall windows, etc etc. O and when roofus metnioned the cooler from frozenscpu.com is that going to be required... Some stuff I read now said never run a cpu without a cooler... Is that the case?

fahdh2

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
With your CPU you definitely need a cooler.

Suggestions: When you first install windows with all the updates, make sure to do a backup onto a DVD or 2, so that you can just use that to reinstall windows when you need to (less updates that way). Replacing HDs aren't that bad, actually. Just backup all your important documents (every time you save an important document/picture/movie/game/etc, back it up onto a DVD +RW (like a flash drive). This way if you ever replace your HD, you will already have everything backed up.
Before buying a CPU cooler (heatsink and fan), make sure it fits in your case-check the overall dimensions (usually on manufacturer website or can be found online when you google the cooler). Some of the coolers are HUGE, so you don't want something that doesn't fit in your case. I'm not sure what's good for i7, but check out CPU coolers on newegg.com, and you should look at the latest reviews...see what they say about them and i7. A cooler should cost anywhere from $30-$80 for your needs, just to give you a starting point. Just google "best core i7 coolers," and then research the coolers you find.
Hope I could help.

fahdh2

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Also look on the motherboard at components around the CPU. How much clearance do you have with regards to L, W, and H? That must be taken into consideration also. The cooler should be at least 1 cm from the other side of the case. Also make sure to check how much weight can be put on the mobo socket since coolers can get quite heavy, and you wouldn't want to destroy your CPU. You should be all right for most coolers, though.