Sign in with
Your question

AMD 955 C2 at 3.6GHz. Temps of 58-63c while using intelburn?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 27, 2010 9:00:58 AM

I just put my AMD 955 BE C2 to 3.6GHz using the multiplier and i ran 20 tests of intelburn on it. The temp hovered around the 60 region and very briefly it went to 63 before going back down again. do you think this would be safe to use for gaming etc? I have an aftermarket cooler on it but its not the best. A thermaltake minityp 90
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2010 9:27:11 AM

I have a 550BE with the 2 extra cores unlocked running at 3.55GHz and prime 95 takes it to 50C max when I get it to 3.6 which needs about 3 notches of voltage the temps go to 55-56C using a coolmaster hyper TX3. I think the temps you are getting are OK but quite aggressive and I would be worried if they go much higher.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2010 9:32:44 AM

hmm. those temps seem high for your setup. If it is hitting 63C loaded that's too high.

What voltage are you running? Have you checked to make sure the HSF is seated properly? How about thermal grease, did you apply this properly? Sometimes too much is very bad for temps.

If you aren't 100% certain, I would pull the heatsink off and look at the TIM on the CPU. Should be a thin layer across the surface touching the heatsink.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2010 9:35:07 AM

Hey simon, isn't the core temp reporting disabled when you unlock cores?
May 27, 2010 9:37:34 AM

The voltage is at 1.36v. ive taken off and reseated the heatsink a few times thinking there might be a problem with that. I applied a rice grain sized blob in the middle of the processor. It idles around the mid 30's. It always ran quite hot with the stock heatsink too. Maybe i just got a dud cpu? lol
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2010 10:01:40 AM

I'm wondering why you didn't grab a Hyper 212 if you wanted a budget HSF? :) 
Anyway, I would look at upgrading the heatsink if you want to continue overclocking.
The c2 is a 140Watt part, isn't it? If so, you need a HSF capable of dissipating 140+watts since you're overclocking. my guess is the mini typhoon ain't cuttin it.

How's your system temp BTW?
May 27, 2010 10:24:35 AM

Just had a look and the minityp 90 is rated to 130w TDP and the 955 c2 is 125w so yeah i can imagine i cant OC much with it. I really should do my research before buying crap. My system temp is 27c. doesnt drop when i take off the side cover either. Ive just set it back to default clocks instead. Thanks!
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2010 2:20:41 PM

buzznut said:
Hey simon, isn't the core temp reporting disabled when you unlock cores?

Yes I am going by what the board reads
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2010 5:22:52 PM

frenchy0312 said:
Just had a look and the minityp 90 is rated to 130w TDP and the 955 c2 is 125w so yeah i can imagine i cant OC much with it. I really should do my research before buying crap. My system temp is 27c. doesnt drop when i take off the side cover either. Ive just set it back to default clocks instead. Thanks!

Yeah, I think its wise to limit your overclocking while looking for better cooling.

simon12 said:
Yes I am going by what the board reads

I believe what the board reports is CPU ambient temp. Most motherboards have a sensor that sits in the middle of the CPU socket that monitors and reports the temp on the outside of the CPU.
From what I've seen with different various AMD processors, the core temps are typically right around 10C higher than the reported CPU ambient temp.

So if your CPU temp is all you have to go by, and you're hitting 63C ambient and your CPU is rated for 73C max TDP, you're already too high. Because your core(s) are at 73.

62C is max safe operating temp for the X4 955 C2, you can see it here.
!