Broken Capacitor - Faxconn P35S-A

TobiAlex

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Hello.
First sorry for my bad english, but I hope to you understand me. When I'm mount DVD I'm broke capacitor (position EC76, top right side on motherboard). At moment computer works fine without this capacitor, but I have ask to you. Why motherboard works and what might be happen later? Please assist.

Best regards,
Slawek

PS.
Now I can't send motherboard to service.

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Honestly, Your quite lucky. If a capacitor breaks than usually the Motherboard is done. Personally, I would replace that motherboard ASAP. The only reason your computer is still turning on, I guess its because this broken capacitor is not really essential to the power going to the CPU or RAM. In short, none of the circuits/traces are totally broken. If I were you I would still replace it, even if that means getting a new motherboard. This maybe a good time to save up for a P45 motherboard. Hope that helps.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
It might be that it keeps on going for a very long time. I guess most likely this cap buffers some current peaks and lows so you might stress your MB, CPU, RAM or cards a little more than usual, which could lead to failure eventually.
You can never know.