Enough voltage?

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Ok so i just bought a new graphics card and i just really checked if it was the right pin set rather than if my system could handle it. It is the EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB (link at the bottom). My mother board is the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe 975x ATX and the power source i'm using is Broadway Com Corp OKIA-BLACK-550 550W ATX (cheap i know but its worked)
OK so the first time i plug it in it just beeps really loud at me so i turn off my comp. It just kinda scared me so i didn't check where the beep was coming from. So i take it out and put it back in to make sure its in all the way and as soon as i turn it on my powersource blows up. Its under warrenty so i get another and now here i am asking for help.
The power supply setting is at the lower 115V and here is some other info in case its relavent

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116001
Overclocked to 3.0GHz and water cooled

Old Graphics card:
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3628156

New Graphics card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130410

Kari

Splendid
ok... the loud beed was the 'low power' piezoelectric siren on the graphics card telling it wasn't getting enough power. and since the old psu blew up already, get something higher quality instead.. corsair, PC P&C, antec, ocz, silverstone or something

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009

So turning the power up to the 230 volt setting wouldn't do anything?

aboutblank

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
What you need to do is turn it up to 11. Sorry, a little Spinal Tap joke. Um, the 115/220 volt switch is for what kinda juice you're plugged in to. Your house current. It'll be 115V in the US. You don't want to go changing that switch unless you feel like toasting and returning yet another PSU.

No, no, no. Plugging a PSU set to 230 VAC into 115 volts will not hurt it. It just will not work because the outputs will be too low.

The loud beep from the video card is eVGA's way of telling you that you forgot to plug in the aux power plug. Click on the newegg link. When the video card picture comes up, click on the third of five pictures (fan side of the card). Look at the upper right corner of the card. You will see a 2X3 connector there. It needs 12 volts. If your PSU does not have a 6 pin connector, use the molex to 6 pin adapter that was packed in the box with the card.

Many of the recent videocards require more power than the motherboard can provide through the PCI connector. Some of the upper end cards even have two connectors.

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
ok ty. This is the most helpful answer so far. My power source does have a 6 pin connector so i will do that as soon as i get my replacement PSU in the mail. If its not to much to ask i was wondering if you could give me some help on another problem i've been having but with my RAM. The people on that thread are giving me answers that aren't really addressing my question. The thread is here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250637-29-resets-bios#bas

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Thats ok. But i do have one more question.
After looking at my new graphics card i see the 6pin extra power connector but the video card didn't come with anything. No adapters, no extra wires, not even a manuel or a paper saying what it was. I bought this from newegg.com so i would think if it was supposed to come with wires then it would have.
On the PSU i do have it comes with an 8pin connector that has 4 black wires on top and 4 yellow wires on the bottom. If i stretch one of the sides out a little bit it does fit onto the 6pin on the graphics card, But i've been going through power sources like candy so i thought i should ask if anything bad would happen first.

Again, sadly, no. Many of the newer PSU's have both a 4 pin and 8 pin 12 volt cable for CPU power. The pinouts are different. If you were to plug that cable into the video card, you would short the 12 volts to ground. And hopefully, the protection circuits in the PSU would activate and electronically shut the PSU down.

What kind of PSU? It's kind of strange that the PSU has both 4 and 8 pin cables for the CPU, but no 6 pin PCI cable.