Mother board Help, Help pick Graphics card, Liquid cooling questions!

king_play334

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Alright, im doing my first build, for a start my dad got me a thermaltake sopranoRS on boxing day for $30, but now it turns out that the case is way to small for my build. Go easy since im only 15,
My specs are-

-Asus P5N-D ATX Motherboard
-Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad
-Thermaltake Ruby Orb CPU Heatsink fan.
-8GB Ocz SLI Ram
-(x1)1TB Seagate Barracuda(Slave)
-(x1)500GB Seagate Barracuda(Main)(buying next week or so)
-LG Securedisk DVD/CD Burner(main)
-LG LightScribe DVD/CD Burner(Slave)(Buying next week or so)
-2 Cold Cathodes
-Nexus Venus Cold Cathode and 3 Fan controller (3.5)
-(x1) 120MM Thermaltake Fan
-(x2) 90MM Thermaltake Blue LED Fans
-Ultra X3 1000WATT PSU(buying next week or so, i had an OCZ 600WATT PSU but it was Weak for SLI so i put it in my dell replacing a 300watt psu)

CASE-COOLER MASTER HAF 932.(Buying next week or so)

Graphics card options-

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ Black Edition Video Card (I will be running in SLI)
*Tiger Direct link- http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4327043&sku=P450-98440

BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE Video Card- (I will be Running in SLI)
*Tigerdriect link- http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4151772&sku=B52-261

Motherboard Questions-
I went to a computer store and the tech guy said that the P5N-D is not good for running the GTX 260's in SLI, But i post here becuase I dont trust that guy. He wanted me to buy some motherboards from his store and was insisting alot, so me and my dad left.
SO IS MY ASUS P5N-D GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE SLI OPTIONS I PRESENT?

Liquid Cooling Questions-
I choose the HAF-932 Becuase it is a full tower which is ideal for water/liquid cooling. I would like to liquid/water cool my CPU(Processor), and my GPU'S (I will be using SLI). I just would like to know if the following are good enough-
Cooler Master Aquagate Duo Viva (for DUAL GPU)
Cooler master Aquagate Max (For CPU)

If you have a better setup in mind please post it, and im not looking for a $1000 liquid cooling kit, lol, im only 15 and this PC is being built with my own money, i have enough but would like to also be smart with it.

Now im a total N00B at liquid/water cooling so is that a good setup? And how the Heck is the Cooler Master Aquatage Duo Viva powered?, is it PCI?

Thanks!. i know its a long post but just bear with me :)

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Q8X00 or Q9x00 is a better choice, faster and runs cooler.

-8GB Ocz SLI Ram
I hope you didn't buy that because you're running SLI. Any RAM will work.

-(x1)1TB Seagate Barracuda(Slave)
-(x1)500GB Seagate Barracuda(Main)(buying next week or so)
It's a good idea to avoid Seagate until they resolve the issues they are currently having.

-Ultra X3 1000WATT PSU(buying next week or so, i had an OCZ 600WATT PSU but it was Weak for SLI so i put it in my dell replacing a 300watt psu)
600W is plenty for SLI with the 9800GTX+ or GTX260.

Graphics card options-

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ Black Edition Video Card (I will be running in SLI)
*Tiger Direct link- http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4327043&sku=P450-98440

BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE Video Card- (I will be Running in SLI)
*Tigerdriect link- http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4151772&sku=B52-261
What resolution is your monitor?

Motherboard Questions-
I went to a computer store and the tech guy said that the P5N-D is not good for running the GTX 260's in SLI, But i post here becuase I dont trust that guy. He wanted me to buy some motherboards from his store and was insisting alot, so me and my dad left.
SO IS MY ASUS P5N-D GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE SLI OPTIONS I PRESENT?
He is correct. The only SLI mobos I would recommend are X58.

Liquid Cooling Questions-
I choose the HAF-932 Becuase it is a full tower which is ideal for water/liquid cooling. I would like to liquid/water cool my CPU(Processor), and my GPU'S (I will be using SLI). I just would like to know if the following are good enough-
Cooler Master Aquagate Duo Viva (for DUAL GPU)
Cooler master Aquagate Max (For CPU)

If you have a better setup in mind please post it, and im not looking for a $1000 liquid cooling kit, lol, im only 15 and this PC is being built with my own money, i have enough but would like to also be smart with it.

Now im a total N00B at liquid/water cooling so is that a good setup? And how the Heck is the Cooler Master Aquatage Duo Viva powered?, is it PCI?
A good air cooler will outperform the prefab water cooling solutions such as those.

king_play334

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I got the Q6600 In january, so it seemed good at the time, i would also like to get into overclocking and heard it was a good processer to do so, i bought the 8GB sli ram becuase it looked cool and for the price it was a bundle! $50 for 8GB..lol My monitor res is 1280 X 800, ive had my P5N-D since February so i'll run with it, this PC is not always going to be used for gaming, probably just for a year or so, then ill give it to my dad with a 9800GT SLI or w/e is in date by then. Thanks for the help guys!, keep posting i like hearing feed back!

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
SLI will do you no good at 1280x1024, most cards nowadays will take that resolution out back, rape it brutally, say 'thank you, ma'am', then go off monster truck racing. That said, 9800GT is your best bet, the GTX would go to waste unless you were planning on upgrading to a 20-24" monitor (1680x1050 to 1920x1200)

With that said, the PSU is massive overkill. Also, I'd suggest going air cooling on your first build, you'll be nervous enough around expensive parts without adding liquid that could kill most of your components if there's a leak.

Why get a fan controller if you're looking at liquid cooling?

king_play334

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I want to SLI, becuase this is my first Build, might aswell so it if i have the money now

What cards do u recommand?

I play games like Crysis, GTA IV, BattleField 2142, Need for speed pro Street, World of warcraft, Counterstrike-source, Grid, Burnout paradise-the ultimate box, Left 4 dead, alot of graphic entensive games basically, lol.