Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

I7 920 Build Freezing Randomly All The Time

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Build
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
March 22, 2009 2:26:51 AM

I just built a new 920 build and it keeps freezing in Vista and I can't figure out why. I have tried reinstalling Windows and different drivers for all my hardware and everything goes smoothly and then within about 15 minutes everything freezes. I can't even move the mouse cursor. I think a few times it froze I could move the cursor but I couldn't click on anything. After this started happening I started running benchmarking programs to try to test things. The only weirdness i noticed was that when I ran the CPU tests in Sandra the computer slows to a hault and frezes temporarily but then returns unlike the other freezes. I am running memtest86+ right now and its been running for some time with no memory errors. I updated my BIOS, tried both the drivers from the hardware cds as well as the newest ones available online and nothing seems to fix the problem. I have good airflow and cable management in the case and the cpu idles between 37 and 43 C and at loads can go as high as 80 C at first. I tried removing the heatsink and reinstalling it and that brought the load temps down. Also I am not overclocking at all. Can anyone please help?

Here is what I have:
ASUS P6T
i7 920 w/ Stock HSF
Corsair 750TX
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB x2 in RAID0 Config
ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit
LIAN LI PC-7B plus II

More about : 920 build freezing randomly time

March 22, 2009 7:26:47 AM

email me at my website warpesystems.com - send you contact info and time to call in bottom box

i set you up with all the settings - we ship 4ghzz systems everyweel

I DO NOT SELL SYSTEMS TO thg MEMEBERS!

I AM NOT POSTING what we do and our specs - but i be glad to help you free
March 22, 2009 7:30:21 AM

#1 increase your memory voltage DRAM BUS TO 1.62-1.64
SET YOUR LATENCIES MANUALLY


if you do not fine the problem i am pretty sure i know what it is
Related resources
March 22, 2009 4:16:06 PM

I would also consider that the hard drives could be a cause. My 1.5 seagates would cause random freezing when they would act up. One thing I noticed was that my cpu usage would go up during the time they were acting up, I don't remember which service in Vista that showed the usage but in XP task manager it would show like 98% system idle but cpu usage over 50%.

Of the three 1.5 drives I bought all have had problems 1st died within 2 months (but was brought back to life temporarily with latest firmware update and died shortly after). The second died a couple weeks ago and the third seems to be doing ok right now but have no confidence in it any more.
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2009 4:19:43 PM

Agree with Ancient_1, your HD is the most likely culpret because I've had the same issue before.
March 22, 2009 4:39:41 PM

Hmm i test my memory 3-4 days ago with memtest86 and no errors , but ram was BAD.
Thats prove that memtest 86 is not best option to be sure 100% ;) 
March 22, 2009 5:50:02 PM

dragonsprayer said:
#1 increase your memory voltage DRAM BUS TO 1.62-1.64
SET YOUR LATENCIES MANUALLY


if you do not fine the problem i am pretty sure i know what it is


I tried setting that voltage and it still froze the same. Thanks for the suggestion though.
March 22, 2009 9:49:56 PM

Ancient_1 said:
I would also consider that the hard drives could be a cause. My 1.5 seagates would cause random freezing when they would act up. One thing I noticed was that my cpu usage would go up during the time they were acting up, I don't remember which service in Vista that showed the usage but in XP task manager it would show like 98% system idle but cpu usage over 50%.

Of the three 1.5 drives I bought all have had problems 1st died within 2 months (but was brought back to life temporarily with latest firmware update and died shortly after). The second died a couple weeks ago and the third seems to be doing ok right now but have no confidence in it any more.


See I thought about that too. I knew the drives had reliability issues before i bought them but they were also cheap and got really good reviews as far as performance is concerned. They are a lot louder than I thought they would be. Could it really be a Hard Drive causing freezes like that? I figured with a hard drive the concern would be more so it failing in general and not being able to boot windows or maybe getting read or write errors. I am not getting any error messages or blue screens. It just straight up locks up. I guess tomorrow I will throw the only other drive i have (an old ide 160 gb) in there and try to install windows on that and see what happens. One weird thing I have noticed is that under the vista problem solutions thing it is saying there is an incompatibility with my version of windows for the intel qpi chipset controller or something like that and it recommends a new version of the inf driver but when I click on the link to intel it says the driver i already have installed is newer. I don't know if this is related. My experience tells me that occasionally this utility finds problems that aren't actually problems. The is only thing close to an error message I have gotten.

The only place I have been able to replicate the freezing is when i go to nbc.com and try to watch any episodes in HD. it locks up the computer every time i start the playback.
March 22, 2009 9:53:15 PM

SuperNova19 said:
Hmm i test my memory 3-4 days ago with memtest86 and no errors , but ram was BAD.
Thats prove that memtest 86 is not best option to be sure 100% ;) 


One interesting thing is that when I was running memtest86 it was the longest my computer has gone without freezing. In fact it did not freeze at all. If memtest is not reliable how can I tell if my RAM is bad or not before the time period I have to return it runs out?
March 23, 2009 1:28:04 AM

Ancient_1 said:
I would also consider that the hard drives could be a cause. My 1.5 seagates would cause random freezing when they would act up. One thing I noticed was that my cpu usage would go up during the time they were acting up, I don't remember which service in Vista that showed the usage but in XP task manager it would show like 98% system idle but cpu usage over 50%.

Of the three 1.5 drives I bought all have had problems 1st died within 2 months (but was brought back to life temporarily with latest firmware update and died shortly after). The second died a couple weeks ago and the third seems to be doing ok right now but have no confidence in it any more.




I never use seagates...they are the worst. Always use Western Digital....even Samsung is better.
March 23, 2009 1:31:32 AM

Seagates are trash. Always use western digital. Even Samsung is better. I have not had any problem with my I7 Core 920 build. Did you install ALL Vista updates? And always use Nod32 for virus protection, because other virus programs slow your computer.
March 23, 2009 4:24:27 AM

Ancient_1 said:
I would also consider that the hard drives could be a cause. My 1.5 seagates would cause random freezing when they would act up. One thing I noticed was that my cpu usage would go up during the time they were acting up, I don't remember which service in Vista that showed the usage but in XP task manager it would show like 98% system idle but cpu usage over 50%.

Of the three 1.5 drives I bought all have had problems 1st died within 2 months (but was brought back to life temporarily with latest firmware update and died shortly after). The second died a couple weeks ago and the third seems to be doing ok right now but have no confidence in it any more.


Well it's officially not the Hard Drives. I removed them and used an old PATA Hitachi 160 GB and it still froze in the same way. One thing I remembered though is that when i removed and reseated the Heatsink on the CPU I didn't use new thermal grease cause I didn't have any. I have just been reusing the stuff that came on the stock sink. Could that cause these problems? Like I said the processor seems to run at ok temps. Could it be spiking at high temps and freezing cause of the reused imperfect thermal pad? and maybe I just don't see it cause it happens so fast?
March 23, 2009 8:04:12 AM

dumboguy said:
Well it's officially not the Hard Drives. I removed them and used an old PATA Hitachi 160 GB and it still froze in the same way. One thing I remembered though is that when i removed and reseated the Heatsink on the CPU I didn't use new thermal grease cause I didn't have any. I have just been reusing the stuff that came on the stock sink. Could that cause these problems? Like I said the processor seems to run at ok temps. Could it be spiking at high temps and freezing cause of the reused imperfect thermal pad? and maybe I just don't see it cause it happens so fast?



My first thought was temperature... if you have been reusing thermal compound, you have committed a computing sin!
You've built a very expensive rig and reused compound?? Get that sorted immeadiately...
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2009 9:41:57 AM

^ Agreed, TX-2 or AS5 is like $5 max.
March 23, 2009 12:08:03 PM

i have the pc description & the same problem like you :

description :
core i7 920
msi x58 platinum motherboard
6GB 3x2Gb OCZ platinum
1st HDD : hitachi 500GB with buffer 16mb
2nd HDD : hitachi 1T with buffer 16mb
Video Card : Gigabyte 9800GTX + 1GB
windows vista ultimate 32bit

1st try : i bought a segate HDD 1.5T at the first time , then i change it to 2XHitachi
2nd try : i changed my video card to new one
3rd try : i changed my motherboard to new one

the problem is still the same problem freeze all the time in games,windows...
the problem that when i take it to the ivory lab (technical computers) they check all the hardware units & they say to me that everythin is OK. no problem
& i cant prove to them that the pc still freeze. cause it freeze randomly ex : after 1 day or after 3 days or in one day more than 4 times i cant prove this to them when this will happened ?

it freeze with me many times in GTAIV in windows xp & vista
it freeze with me 1 time in the login screen
it freeze with me 4 times when i enter a hotmail site without openeing any program just FIREFOX

what can i do to this problem can any one help ???????????
March 23, 2009 1:07:00 PM

i have the same problem as well.

i send my cpu for repair and they said bout hardisk faulty and stuff. I'm not sure bout this but it seems like i7 have problem with certain hardisk?

i have tried everything to the best of my knowledge but nothing seems to work. everytime I played any game its freeze up in minutes.

anyone have and an answer for this?

I think i7 or p6t mobo have certain hardrive compatibility problem.
March 23, 2009 2:59:52 PM

i see that all we have difference cards & different memories
but we have the same cpu : core i7 920

i think we have a big problem with this core , therefore the place that i bougth the pc from him checked my cpu on a program that will load to it a big load and he do fine .
but when it freezing , it will freeze in a small processes like IE or firefox or without start any process
i changed all my pc approximatly still the memory & cpu
and i think the problem in 1 of them
but all of u have another kind of memory but same cpu , so i think that the problem in the cpu


i think that we have a problem with core i7 Manufacturing ....
what r u think about it ?!!!
March 23, 2009 11:59:50 PM

I think so too. but mine froze when playing game. that means it froze with heavy loads.

could be i7, but also could be i7 compatibility prob with certain hardware rite?

how come best claimed processor have this kind of prob.
March 24, 2009 1:03:57 AM

Sorry to hear all of you are having freezing problems too. I think i figured out my problem though. It was my damn Linksys WMP54G PCI Wireless Card. It doesn't have official Vista 64 drivers but alot of people claimed that if you use the generic drivers from the chipset manufacturer (Ralink) it would work fine. And it did sort of except it constantly froze up my computer! After swapping everything else around I figured I would try taking the WMP54G out and everything was fine. I ran games and DVD movies and it didn't freeze. Left it on all night and it didn't freeze. Today I decided to look for a wireless adaptor with true Vista 64 support which ended up being a major pain in the ass. Alot of them say they work even on the box but then there are no drivers available. I ended up buying a Linksys WUSB100 which quite honestly I don't even know if it has a true vista 64 driver but it works ok with the software on the CD it came with and the box claimed to work with Vista 64. I would really like to have a PCI adaptor instead but nothing for Vista 64 seems to be available.
March 24, 2009 1:37:14 AM

Disable the auto time server syncronization
March 24, 2009 3:26:47 AM

how to disable the auto time serve sync? is this connected to i7 freeze prob?
March 24, 2009 7:41:12 AM

with me not happened in a heavy load it can be happened with no load , cause in one time it's freeze in the login screen before it enter to windows
that's will make me crazy :S
April 5, 2009 7:13:42 AM

I'm having the exact same problem!!! I have no idea what it is. No matter what I do (BIOS settings, hardware troubleshooting, software), I can't figure out what the deal is. I hope someone is able to help us fix this problem with the Vista/P6T/Core i7 920 freeze issue.
April 7, 2009 9:31:36 AM

I just wanted to let you guys know that I too have an i7 and it was locking up all the time, however mine was mostly related to locking up when using the internet browser but I had occasional lockups when just sitting at the desktop. These problems happened in both 32 and 64 bit vista as I installed both OS trying to figure out this dang problem. Oddly enough what fixed the problem for me was installing Java. I did not have it installed before since windows update doesn't install it anymore and nothing seemed to prompt me to have it installed. But I did some pretty thorough testing and without java I lock up but with java i seem to be rock solid stable. Hopefully this helps everyone else too!

My pc specs are:

Vista 64 bit.
core i7 920
biostar tpower x58
6 gb crucial ddr 1066
2 x 74gb raptors raid 0
geforce 9800gt
soundblaster xfi xtreme music edition
April 9, 2009 8:19:38 PM

I have the same problem on 64 bit vista ultimate sp1. However, my system runs great on 32 bit xp pro sp3. It is very stable on xp, on the other hand, it sucks on vista x64. I have updated bios too. i did not try installing java. i thought it was about my audio drivers but it freezes even if i did not use anything that uses audio drivers. But weirdly, it generally freezes while i was listenning music. It also freezes frequently while i was surfing the net. it even freezes while i was doing just nothing! It is more like there is a counter and it counts to freeze the vista because even if i try to make a huge load on ram and cpu it is not affected at the first 5-15 minutes after startup. I'm really confused about this problem! I'm afraid that i'll become crazy :pt1cable:  just because of this. Someone please help!

My specs:

Vista Ultimate sp1 64 bit
core i7 920 (non-over-clocked)
asus p6t
9gb corsair dominator 1600 (3x2gb + 3x1gb)
seagate 500gb 7200.12 (ncq) (runs vista)
samsung 320gb (runs xp)
club 3d hd4870 512mb
creative audigy 2 zs
ocz stealtxstream 600W
April 9, 2009 8:39:08 PM

dumboguy said:
Sorry to hear all of you are having freezing problems too. I think i figured out my problem though. It was my damn Linksys WMP54G PCI Wireless Card. It doesn't have official Vista 64 drivers but alot of people claimed that if you use the generic drivers from the chipset manufacturer (Ralink) it would work fine. And it did sort of except it constantly froze up my computer! After swapping everything else around I figured I would try taking the WMP54G out and everything was fine. I ran games and DVD movies and it didn't freeze. Left it on all night and it didn't freeze. Today I decided to look for a wireless adaptor with true Vista 64 support which ended up being a major pain in the ass. Alot of them say they work even on the box but then there are no drivers available. I ended up buying a Linksys WUSB100 which quite honestly I don't even know if it has a true vista 64 driver but it works ok with the software on the CD it came with and the box claimed to work with Vista 64. I would really like to have a PCI adaptor instead but nothing for Vista 64 seems to be available.

I have linksys WMP300N wireless card and i didnt find its proper x64 driver too so i installed 32 bit driver for it. However that driver worked fine in my previous configuration and didn't make vista freeze.
April 19, 2009 2:46:30 AM

I got...

Core i7 920
Biostar x58
12gb corsair xms
4 HDs (raid0 and raid1)

Freezing all the time, I notice that when I take it down to 4 GB it stops freezing, but it doesn't matter which 4GB. 8GB it freezes after 10 minutes, 12GB it freezes almost immediately
April 19, 2009 6:20:50 AM

I fixed my problem after changing card by card ...
the problem for my freezing in the CPU , therefore the hardware programs tell me that there is no problem with it, but when i change it i explore the the problem with it
just CPU CPU CPU CPU
i changed and everything is ok now ....

-----------------------

wildert : the problem with your memory cards could be not in the memory
cause you say when you try card by card dont freeze , so the memories not have any problem i think but to make sure that there is no problem with the memory
Test them with this program : memtest86 (run it by booting cd)
if there is no problems with any ram so the problem with the slots in the motherborad i think ....
May 3, 2009 9:30:50 PM

I'm having the same issues of random freezes, but I'm not using the i7. I have a Q6600. I thought it was RAM, tested each stick with no errors. Then I thought it was my Hard drives, tested them individually, no errors. I'm at a loss as to what it could be. I'm running RAID 0 and thought it might be the array. I deleted the array, and rebuilt it with a clean install, and still the same issues. I've had this setup for about 2 years, and never had these problems before. Could it be something that changed in Vista 64? I'm leaving my hardware setup, so if anyone can tell me anything about it and possible problems in Vista 64. Any help would be appreciated.


OCZ Game Xstream 700W PSU
EVGA 780i SLI mobo
Q6600 CPU w/ ASUS cooler
4GB OCZ PC8500 DDR2 SLI RAM (4 x 1GB)
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 32MB cache
(Running in SATA RAID 0 with Nvidia MediaShield)
EVGA 8800GT Video
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Music Audio
Linksys WMP54G Wireless Card
Lite-On DVD-RW Drive (IDE)






September 12, 2009 6:17:31 PM

Hello Friends,

I am also having same issue with newly built i7 desktop. Following are the specs:
1. ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard
2. 2.5TB (500GB x5) Western Digital HD
3. 12GB Patriot Memory 10600 DDR3
4. ATI DDR5 1GB Video Card
5. Vista Ultimate x64 & Server 2008 x64
6. 1000W Power Supply Xion brand
7. Full Tower Cooler Master HAF 932
System Problem - Freezes when idle (say 10-15 minutes). There are no conflict in the device manager. I have updated with the latest BIOS 610 for the motherboard and Vista & Server is running SP2. I am running multi boot system. The system temp is 38c (CPU) & 42c (Motherboard).
What is causing the system to freeze when IDLE? I am searching the NET for possible solution. Unable to find anything.
Appreciate your help pls.

Thanks

Ram
September 17, 2009 6:28:43 PM

I was also having freezing problems with my i7 setup. I had it overclocked to 3.3 ghz. I went into the bios and set the motherboard to load optimized defaults. That reset the overclocking, but since then it has not freezed up on me one time. I know it wasn't an overheating issue, as the cpu never raised above 45°c under full load. It just wasn't stable. So if you are freezing up then try resetting the bios to the optimized defaults. Worked for me.

Here is my system

msi x58 motherboard
i7 920
1 tb WD Caviar 7200rpm
6 gig OCZ gold ddr3
ati 4870 2gb gddr5
windows 7 rc x64
550w antec true power II
coolermaster V8 cpu fan
September 17, 2009 7:48:04 PM

dragonsprayer said:
email me at my website warpesystems.com - send you contact info and time to call in bottom box

i set you up with all the settings - we ship 4ghzz systems everyweel

I DO NOT SELL SYSTEMS TO thg MEMEBERS!

I AM NOT POSTING what we do and our specs - but i be glad to help you free


ban.
September 27, 2009 6:49:29 AM

I got the exactly same freezing issue.

My config:

MB: ASUS P6T deluxe V2
CPU: i7-920 (I have tried also w5580 3,2GHz before and it was the same)
MEM: 3x2GB CORSAIR 1600MHz
VGA: ASUS EN8800GT 512MB
PSU: Corsair 520W

I have the newest BIOS 0610
Its freezing in all 64bit systems.. (I thing that in xp more often than in Vista)

when it freezes, I can see the last screen and I have to use hard reset. When I turn it on by power button, the numlock on my keyboard stay shining after power off.

I have tried lot of BIOS Settings like disabling C1E support, CPU TM function, Intel speed step technology, Intel C-state technology, A20M (disable for Win Vista/Win7) and enable for other OS.
I have also hard set up my CPU:
CPU ratio:20
BLCK:133
Dram freq: 1066
UCLK: auto
QPI link data rate: 4800MT/s)

and my mems to 9,9,9,24 2N
+ also some other settings like
Dram Bus Voltage 1.56V
Load lne calibrate: enabled
CPU diferential amplitude: 900mV

but nothing was effective :( 

Pls, help..
mems to 9,9,9,24 2N
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 8:08:42 PM

I had the same proble as you are describing..and I was rly crazy from it..
try to remove battery for 5sec. It was effective for me. (not just use "load default settings" in BIOS)


arda said:
I have the same problem on 64 bit vista ultimate sp1. However, my system runs great on 32 bit xp pro sp3. It is very stable on xp, on the other hand, it sucks on vista x64. I have updated bios too. i did not try installing java. i thought it was about my audio drivers but it freezes even if i did not use anything that uses audio drivers. But weirdly, it generally freezes while i was listenning music. It also freezes frequently while i was surfing the net. it even freezes while i was doing just nothing! It is more like there is a counter and it counts to freeze the vista because even if i try to make a huge load on ram and cpu it is not affected at the first 5-15 minutes after startup. I'm really confused about this problem! I'm afraid that i'll become crazy :pt1cable:  just because of this. Someone please help!

My specs:

Vista Ultimate sp1 64 bit
core i7 920 (non-over-clocked)
asus p6t
9gb corsair dominator 1600 (3x2gb + 3x1gb)
seagate 500gb 7200.12 (ncq) (runs vista)
samsung 320gb (runs xp)
club 3d hd4870 512mb
creative audigy 2 zs
ocz stealtxstream 600W

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 8:08:27 PM

ignore this post pls. This is not working. It was just luck that it hasn't freeyed for some time :??: 
October 29, 2009 12:15:32 AM

i had same issue with i7...thought it was my ocz vertex..but actually it was my sata dvd-rw

it was freezing up 10 min ago i pulled the connections off the rom completely and it's working perfectly..

hope this helps someone
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2009 6:33:41 PM

The problem described with the I7 920 randomly freezing is happening to a friend of mine with a biostar x58 mb and corsair dominator ram 6gb at 1866 mhz. Odin 800W PSU and windows 7 64bit. Even running stock settings system freezes randomly.

Temperature is not an issue as it stays well below 40 degrees. You said in your post on toms hardware that you suspect you know what the issue is as the timings didn't help nor the voltage change. Any help would be appreciated.

Bios settings:

uncore freq : 3733
dram freq: 1867
cmd rate: 1T
vcore : 0.160v
cpu vtt: 1.440v
dram: 1.640v

CPU running at 2.66 ghz.
November 7, 2009 7:32:58 PM

try uping the vcore?
November 29, 2009 2:27:51 PM

Anyone who is experiencing frequent crashes with seemingly no pattern, especially crashing that locks the entire rig (screen freezes, mouse pointer freezes, and hdd light is completely inactive), I highly recommend that you find a software that monitors your PSU voltages. many higher end builds are using psu's that simply cannot handle the job. I have already repaired 2 puters with this problem and mine had the problem a few years ago. It is obscure there is nothing to trace so it is very hard to diagnose and the voltages will be ok sometimes and then drop under load (gaming, vid rendering apps). Make doubly sure you are getting over 12v, over 3.3, and over 1.6, and that the rig can sustain those voltages under load. A computer will run with lower voltages until under load or sometimes just a few minutes until it locks.

Since it is hard to diagnose sometimes, you can simply go to your fav. puter store and buy a new psu, something not only with high wattage but more importantly with high amperage. I highly recommend Corsair psu's, simply compare their amp specs with other manufacturers. If it works you're happy, if not you can usually return the psu for a refund, no problem. Don't be surprised if it works, and dont' skimp on the PSU for your high end builds, it will come back to bite ya.
December 18, 2009 4:24:47 AM

Dear Sirs,

I am experiencing the exact same problem that has been said throughout this thread. My PC will randomly freeze although it usually freezes if I am playing Left 4 Dead.

The game will run perfectly fine for about 10-15 minutes. Then all of a sudden it will just lock up. There will be no sound loop, just a freeze frame. Temperature reads 29-33 degrees on the mobo, around 40-47 for the cores in the EVGA monitoring program. It has frozen on me using adobe premier and a couple of times using outlook.

I have the following specs:
Core i7 920
GTX 260
OCZ 1600 mhz memory (6GB)
antec 850w PSU
EVGA X58 mobo
WD 1TB caviar green HDD

I am using Windows 7 Pro


These are the measures I have taken:
1.I have swapped the video card for an HD4890, same problem.
2.Ordered another set of memory, Same problem. I ran Memtest on each stick, they all checked out, on both sets.
3.I just swapped out the PSU for an OCZ ModXStream 700W, same problem.
4.RMA'd motherboard for no reason, because i still have the same problem.
5.Just got a WD 2TB HDD, same problem.

The only thing i have not swapped out is the CPU.

Could that even be a possibility? The CPU works but then busts while in use, only to work after a restart? I've never heard of a partially failing CPU, but is it possible? I have tried a fresh install with just L4D and it still freezes, so it's definitely not a software problem. I tried using vista , same issue. Then i tried vista 32, but that was no help either.

Is anyone else still having this issue?



EDIT : I forgot to add that I made this build back in January. Everything was 100% ok until about July/August. I had overclocked the system but only to 3.0 GHz since i felt it was fast enough for my purposes. Currently it is not overclocked at all and the BIOS is up to date and default settings.
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2009 8:15:30 AM

Make sure your ram is running at its rated specs. Look up the voltage required for your ram and make sure it is set to that amount along with the correct timings.

Also I dont have any proof of this idea but I do it anyways. I disable all the power options on vista/7 for the hdds. I do not like the idea of turning off hdds after 10mins of idle or whatever it is.
December 18, 2009 8:09:38 PM

someguy7 said:
Make sure your ram is running at its rated specs. Look up the voltage required for your ram and make sure it is set to that amount along with the correct timings.

Also I dont have any proof of this idea but I do it anyways. I disable all the power options on vista/7 for the hdds. I do not like the idea of turning off hdds after 10mins of idle or whatever it is.


Voltages are set to what is specified, still nothing.

Like i said, It was working for a good 6 months before it started doing this.
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2009 12:01:26 AM

You try safemode? Only thing I can think of then is a driver or software issue causing the problem. If you still cant figure it out you can also do this. Dual boot with any other OS you have. Preferably windows so you can run your games and see if the system fails. You can also use a linux distro and toss some heavy loads at the machine and see if it crashes.
December 19, 2009 12:51:38 AM

someguy7 said:
You try safemode? Only thing I can think of then is a driver or software issue causing the problem. If you still cant figure it out you can also do this. Dual boot with any other OS you have. Preferably windows so you can run your games and see if the system fails. You can also use a linux distro and toss some heavy loads at the machine and see if it crashes.


I appreicate the help but, like i said in my previous post, It is not software related and I have installed 7 and vista both 64 and 32 bit. And the problem started after 6 months, which means there was no problem from janurary - july/august. Definitley nothing to do with the OS, but thanks anyway.
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2009 1:16:13 AM

You simply cant rule out software because you did not have any problems for the 1st six months. By trying the three different clean installs of the OS you can though.

Next thing to would be the same drivers you used 6 months ago. If still no luck get a hold of Intel and see if you can exchange the cpu.

a b à CPUs
December 19, 2009 1:30:59 AM

ministerpaul said:
Seagates are trash. Always use western digital. Even Samsung is better. I have not had any problem with my I7 Core 920 build. Did you install ALL Vista updates? And always use Nod32 for virus protection, because other virus programs slow your computer.


Don't bash on a company just because you've experienced a few defect products from them.

Seagate is one of the best companies out there, their Barracuda is very highly rated, equal to WD's Caviar Black & Blue series.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2009 11:22:27 AM

Hey guys,


I'd also like to add another one experiencing random system freezes at idle. There is nothing I can see that seems to be directly causing this. I can run programs at full load and have no issue then be doing something like playing a youtube video or even switching applications and have it freeze on me. The specs are as follows:

Core i7 920
Asus P6T Mobo
Noctua U12P heatsink
G.Skill 3x2gb Trident DDR3 2000
Antec 750w PSU
Asus 8800GT
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Seagate 1TB HD
64Gb Gskill SSD for OS

I've tried changing ram timings, disabling the turbo mode and reseating the cpu and heatsink but still having the same problems. The RAM timings I've tried have been 9-9-9-24 1.65v which clock it at around 4000hz.

Idle temps are around the 45-50c mark which increase to around 65 when playing games. I thought it may have been heat related but when blowing cool air from a hair drier onto the cpu and bringing the idle temps down to 36c it still froze so it must be something else.

One thing worth mentioning is even though I have the power plan on high performance and set 0 throttling of the CPU in the bios I notice the multiplier jumps anywhere from 13 - 20 which is strange since I thought it was disabled.

This seems to be a really common problem among 920s and the x58 chipset. It definitely sounds like a compatibility issue but not sure how to fix it.
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2009 11:39:13 AM

Quote:
Hey guys,


I'd also like to add another one experiencing random system freezes at idle. There is nothing I can see that seems to be directly causing this. I can run programs at full load and have no issue then be doing something like playing a youtube video or even switching applications and have it freeze on me. The specs are as follows:

Core i7 920
Asus P6T Mobo
Noctua U12P heatsink
G.Skill 3x2gb Trident DDR3 2000
Antec 750w PSU
Asus 8800GT
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Seagate 1TB HD
64Gb Gskill SSD for OS

I've tried changing ram timings, disabling the turbo mode and reseating the cpu and heatsink but still having the same problems. The RAM timings I've tried have been 9-9-9-24 1.65v which clock it at around 4000hz.

Idle temps are around the 45-50c mark which increase to around 65 when playing games. I thought it may have been heat related but when blowing cool air from a hair drier onto the cpu and bringing the idle temps down to 36c it still froze so it must be something else.

One thing worth mentioning is even though I have the power plan on high performance and set 0 throttling of the CPU in the bios I notice the multiplier jumps anywhere from 13 - 20 which is strange since I thought it was disabled.

This seems to be a really common problem among 920s and the x58 chipset. It definitely sounds like a compatibility issue but not sure how to fix it.


I haven't used a hair drier since the 1980s. They can actually blow cool air now? I know its unrelated but eh.
December 27, 2009 1:05:23 AM

Quote:
Hey guys,


I'd also like to add another one experiencing random system freezes at idle. There is nothing I can see that seems to be directly causing this. I can run programs at full load and have no issue then be doing something like playing a youtube video or even switching applications and have it freeze on me. The specs are as follows:

Core i7 920
Asus P6T Mobo
Noctua U12P heatsink
G.Skill 3x2gb Trident DDR3 2000
Antec 750w PSU
Asus 8800GT
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Seagate 1TB HD
64Gb Gskill SSD for OS

I've tried changing ram timings, disabling the turbo mode and reseating the cpu and heatsink but still having the same problems. The RAM timings I've tried have been 9-9-9-24 1.65v which clock it at around 4000hz.

Idle temps are around the 45-50c mark which increase to around 65 when playing games. I thought it may have been heat related but when blowing cool air from a hair drier onto the cpu and bringing the idle temps down to 36c it still froze so it must be something else.

One thing worth mentioning is even though I have the power plan on high performance and set 0 throttling of the CPU in the bios I notice the multiplier jumps anywhere from 13 - 20 which is strange since I thought it was disabled.

This seems to be a really common problem among 920s and the x58 chipset. It definitely sounds like a compatibility issue but not sure how to fix it.


I'm also having this problem and i was just wondering if your problem just started or if it magically appeared recently like mine did?
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest