Computer Wont turn on?

elitezero

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
So recently my computer would not turn on. So I automatically thought it was either my psu or my mobo. Since I was already going to buy another psu I just went for it and bought one. I installed it, and upon pressing the power button it fired up, I was happy.
About 3 minutes later, after I was already on the internet, it shut down again. I pressed the power button to try to turn it on and nothing happened.
So I tried changing sockets on the wall for some reason, and it worked. Computer came back up, I checked the bios for overheating but I was running at 34 degrees so I continued starting up, only to find the computer shut down upon window's startup.
I tried plugging the cord into a different socket and every time it fires up again for only 2 seconds now. If I dont change the plug then nothing happens whatsoever.

Any Ideas?

Please

elitezero

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
600 W Psu, ATX 12v 2.0
Gigabyte S-serious GA-EP35-Ds3l Motherboard
1 Radeon 4870
4 Gigs of Ram
E4600 duel core processor

I've tried unplugging things and plugging them back in but so far no success.

sharp256

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
hi

huh not PSU or CPU

i dont think its motherboard because if its not working it just wouldnt start at all

I say one of your Rams is the problem.
How is your RAM setup i say it be 4x 1Gbs if this is the case try remove the RAM one by one you should found out what RAM is not working

cya

elitezero

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah I'm with you on the psu.

I took out one piece of ram and my computer fired up, stayed on for around 3 minutes. Not even enough time to run the test. It shut down, next I took out that piece, put in the other one. Nothing. Computer wouldnt even turn on. Waited 30 minutes, and then I got another 30 seconds out of it.

caniba

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
To make sure. Everything worked fine together and then one day your pc just wouldn't turn on? So you swap psu and now it does this semi work thing? Do you still have the old psu?

If you do still have it do this test. Plug it into the wall and stick a paper clip into the green wire on the 20 pin mobo connecter and put the other end of the paper clip into any of the black wires on the same 20 pin connector to create a short if the psu works the fan will spin. If it does not spin then we know your new psu is faulty.

TRENDING THREADS