Whats next after the x58 chipset

speed_junky

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I would like to upgrade my current motherboard. I'm a gammer and I have a need for extreem multi-tasking with up to 6 high end 3D clients running at the same time.

The x58 chipset can handle 36 PCI-Express 2.0 lanes, but that still puts me at 16x,16x,4x or quad 8x.

Neither of these setups work well for me and I'm reluctant to upgrade if a chipset with 64 lanes is just around the corner.

Anyone know if this technology is in the works?

Anyone know if there is a current chipset that I have missed that has this capability?

Honestly, it isn't likely that there will be a chipset with more lanes anytime soon. The next one expected from Intel will be a lower performance one for use with i5.

However, if you actually need a tremendous number of PCI-E lanes, then this wouldn't be a bad choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131358

It will run up to 3 PCI-E x16 slots at full 16x, and if you have enough cards, can also run 1 @ 16x plus 4 @ 8x plus 1 @ 4x (yes, it has 6 PCI-E slots).

speed_junky

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Thanks cjl

You know I've been all over newegg and never ssen this mobo. Anyone know how it gets 52 lanes? I've seen some say that x58 could do 40 lanes but thats a long way from 52.