computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Hi, I've got a 400cx PSU from Corsair, and these are the voltages I'm getting from it (with ASUS PC probe II) as I type this:

+3.3v = 3.46v
+5v = 5.05v
+12v = 12.68v

Are the voltages supposed to be this far off? (especially the 12v?) Any advice or voltages of your own psu's would be greatly appreciated.

And one last thing: I still don't understand what active PFC does... Does it keep power going in my computer clean, or does it just save power for my electricity company? When I bought this psu, I was kinda hoping for PFC to be some kind of built-in power conditioner...

Thanks

(1). The 3.3V is right at the 5%, the +12 V is 0.08V over the 5% which is not a cause of real concern as opposed to the low end, ie 11.36V

(2). What does bios show, have you tried a third party such as CPUID hdware monitor, and my BEST CHOICE is to use a DVM to verify readings.

(3) PFC (Power factor correction) is primarily to improve effiency. It make a load appear as a resistive load (opposed to reactive load). This results in the Max voltage and max current being inphase. Very little to do with cleaning up noise on the outputs. However a company that invest in good PFC will PROBABLY also invest in good powersupply filtering.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

I've wiki-ed pfc before posting about it, still confused me. RetiredChief has cleared that up for me :)
I was getting these voltages at idle while typing the post, using ASUS Probe.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

1. Do you think I should or could get an RMA from Corsair? I called them a few months ago when the 12v was at like 12.4, and they said the psu would be considered bad if it was at least 5% off...

2. I don't have access to the computer right now, I'm outside ;) I'll check the voltage and get back to you when I get home :) And I don't have a DVM at home lol

3. Thanks, that explains it. So can I put it this way: PFC helps the power grid, but doesn't help the power coming in my PC at all, so if I wanted to protect my pc, PFC would have nothing to do with it?

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
From BIOS, it seems that my Vcore only goes like 0.02 lower than what I have it as (good ol' ASUS :)), 3.3 at just over 3.4v, 5 at 5.05, and 12 at 12.44-12.50. It's within 5%, but would you guys feel satisfied running an enthusiast set-up on this? (I don't have a too expensive set-up, but I still want to protect it :)) In other words, would you guys RMA it for one with cleaner voltages? I'd appreciate it if some people could post up voltages from their own PSU's :)

the daveman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I've built computers where the software/BIOS voltage readings (such as from PCProbe) are way off, but when I verify using DVM, the numbers are rock solid. So you can't always trust the software voltage readings.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
:D Thanks, that's exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Hopefully, it is just an inaccurate reading, and hopefully, my PSU is giving clean voltages. Thanks for all the comments, guys. Do I need to close this thread or mark it as 'answered' or something?