Mobo has power but comp wont boot! HELP!

thomlonger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
So today for x-mas i got a new power supply, a new graphics card and also a tower. So i swapped my motherboard into the new case and put everything in place. Go to start it up.... nothing. My Mobo has power but none of the fans move when i try to start it. I have tried another power supply and it also wont boot it..... any ideas??

Also when i tried the new power supply the same thing happened. Mobo light on, but nothing else has any signs of life...

Need full system specs for all your parts.

First, put all your old (working) parts into your new case. Does it work? If not, either something picked that moment to die or you have something installed improperly that is shutting down the PSU.

The LED on the motherboard that serves as a power indicator does not indicate a working power supply. It's powered by a completely separate small power supply called something like "Standby Power Supply". It has nothing to do with the main power circuits in the PSU.

So, the first step is to get back to a working configuration - your original parts. Second, add the new PSU. If the system does not work, you have a bad PSU. Third, add the new video card. If the system does not work, your problem is either the video card or PSU. The video card could be overloading the PSU.

Over the last few years, the quality of power supplies has become more critical as CPU's and video cards have gotten more powerful.

thomlonger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Ok, i now put everything back to normal in the old case.... and the same thing is now happening in this case.... im at a complete loss.

System specs

Intel DuoCore P4 3.0
4GB Ram (Kingston)
Radeon 3400 HD
Seagate 500GB HD

thomlonger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I forgot new Specs

new tower case
Geforce 8800 is new card
and 4 GB of OCZ is new ram... but havent changed that yet...
Power supply was stock in the old case 500 W
new power supply is 700 W cant remember the brand, will look it up.

Double check all your cabling. Do you have both the 24 pin main power plug and the 4 or 8 pin 12 volt plug connected to the motherboard?

Either you have overlooked something fairly simple or something major failed during the transfer process.

Double check the 4 pin cpu power. There are 2 places you should have your psu plugged into the board. The 4 pin controls the power to the cpu, no power=no play. Make sure the new graphics card is seated properly. If it doesn't work, try booting with only 1 memory chip, graphics card, and hard drive. You can unplug everything else from the board, and boot with only the essential items.