ST2 Stairs with landings

Last response: in Video Games
February 2, 2005 6:25:14 PM

We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A real
split staircase in one room.
I am rather pleased with it.

http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...

Granny - switching off now. The 'kid' is arriving to put in the new power
supply (that frightens me) and the Radeon 9800 (which doesn't) I still think
the case won;t be big enough. 8(((

More about : st2 stairs landings

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:25:15 PM

"Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
message news:uh6Md.5512$8B3.4605@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A
> real split staircase in one room.
> I am rather pleased with it.
>
> http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...
>
> Granny - switching off now. The 'kid' is arriving to put in the new
> power supply (that frightens me) and the Radeon 9800 (which doesn't) I
> still think the case won;t be big enough. 8(((

Granny, you did good!!! It really looks great and so inspiring!!
Thank you for posting this.

............B
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:33:26 PM

Wow, very nice. How did you do that?
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:52:31 PM

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A real
> split staircase in one room.
> I am rather pleased with it.
>
> http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...
>
> Granny - switching off now. The 'kid' is arriving to put in the new power
> supply (that frightens me) and the Radeon 9800 (which doesn't) I still think
> the case won;t be big enough. 8(((

Wow, that looks fantastic! I love how you've tied all the elements together
with the appropriate railings.

Next week, could you show us how to make a switch-back staircase, please? :)

Katiya.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:58:08 PM

Ooh, I like that! I had gotten as far as this even up
to putting the trees, but never thought to add the
pillars and two-level window. That definitely completes it!
Nice work!

Laura

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A real
> split staircase in one room.
> I am rather pleased with it.
>
> http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...
>
> Granny - switching off now. The 'kid' is arriving to put in the new power
> supply (that frightens me) and the Radeon 9800 (which doesn't) I still think
> the case won;t be big enough. 8(((

February 2, 2005 9:18:34 PM

"Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A real
> split staircase in one room.
> I am rather pleased with it.
>
> http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...
>
> Granny - switching off now. The 'kid' is arriving to put in the new power
> supply (that frightens me) and the Radeon 9800 (which doesn't) I still
> think the case won;t be big enough. 8(((
WOW!! That is a great staircase. I'm gonna have to try it - somehow! Did
you start with the stair first?

PS: Hope the powersupply and (awesome) graphics card work. :-)

--
deb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:25:14 GMT, "Granny Crabapple"
<plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A real
>split staircase in one room.
>I am rather pleased with it.
>
>http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...

That is absolutely beautiful. I wish I had the know-how and patience
to try to construct a similar one - not gonna happen today though (I'm
fighting the flu).

Viv
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:38:44 PM

"Katiya" <katiyaNO@SPAMhotmail.THANKScom> wrote in message

> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>> We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A real
>> split staircase in one room.
>> I am rather pleased with it.
>>
>> http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...
>>
>> Granny - switching off now. The 'kid' is arriving to put in the new power
>> supply (that frightens me) and the Radeon 9800 (which doesn't) I still
>> think the case won;t be big enough. 8(((
> Wow, that looks fantastic! I love how you've tied all the elements
> together with the appropriate railings.
>
> Next week, could you show us how to make a switch-back staircase, please?
> :)

I couldn;t show you how to do the split landing, never mind a... What IS a
switch-back staircase?

is it like the one we have here, bent like a hairpin? Up six, turn right. Up
one, turn right, up six, fall through the bedroom door.
if so, then you need an expert on getting walls close to floors. 8((((

Granny.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:43:20 PM

"Vivia" <vivia@nodomain.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:25:14 GMT, "Granny Crabapple"
> <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A real
>>split staircase in one room.
>>I am rather pleased with it.
>>
>>http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...
>
> That is absolutely beautiful. I wish I had the know-how and patience
> to try to construct a similar one - not gonna happen today though (I'm
> fighting the flu).
>
> Viv

"Vivia" <vivia@nodomain.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:25:14 GMT, "Granny Crabapple"
> <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A real
>>split staircase in one room.
>>I am rather pleased with it.
>>
>>http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...
>
> That is absolutely beautiful. I wish I had the know-how and patience
> to try to construct a similar one - not gonna happen today though (I'm
> fighting the flu).

I will exchange you your flue for my old Nvidea settings. I believe I will
get the best of the deal.
New power supply purring like a well-fed cat. New graphics board, Radeon,
has been rejected and spat out. Yes, the board works fine on any computer
that hasn't had a Nvidea card fired up first.
The lad has gone home leaving me battling with nasty file removers. Then my
modem died. That turned out to be the serial to USB drivers. Solved that.

I have decided, this will be an IDEAL time to completely reformat my hard
drive and shift that partition about a bit.
I will get rid of Nvidea, you see if I don't. Massive back-up attack is on
the cards now.

The stairs. More by good luck than good management, I fear. I was lying in
bed last night, brooding about a new Posh Shop and thinking a real Victorian
place would have wide-sweeping staircases for wide sweeping skirts.
I thought me of a shop in Brum whch used to be a hotel where they have
retained a beauty of a staircase and started to plot.
Remembered the talk here about using raised land, and started experimenting
madly with those little step things.
Eventually I got it.
The tall window was after thinking of an old cinema hereabouts which has a
whopper running along the same lines.

To make the final Victorianish look all it took was a bit of old iron and
lots of plants - ah, and a posh pillar or two thrown in for good measure.
Panel all the rest and add flock walpaper...

Sheer luck. 8))) Now I have to add the male and female clothing area and...
Oh, I can;t be bothered. 8(
Let them go to the Ruptured Duck and have a pint instead.

granny.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:07:19 AM

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> The stairs. More by good luck than good management, I fear. I was lying in
> bed last night, brooding about a new Posh Shop and thinking a real Victorian
> place would have wide-sweeping staircases for wide sweeping skirts.
> I thought me of a shop in Brum whch used to be a hotel where they have
> retained a beauty of a staircase and started to plot.

The Waterstones on New Street? Love that place! A real bookshop in
comparison to the "book galleries" (some tables with some books on it,
lots of space, not a lot of shelves).

Last weekend was the weekend I always went back to the University of
Wolverhampton, I actually miss some things (UGC Broad Street,
Birmingham, Wolverhampton, the Asda) and things I don't (loud and very
messy students who I shared the kitchen with).

I already made floorplans to build both Walsall and Wolverhampton Halls
of Residence and tried it out:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v333/rumpel_teazer/Wolver...

Now back to Jane Austen!

Bianca
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:07:20 AM

"Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>
>> The stairs. More by good luck than good management, I fear. I was lying
>> in
>> bed last night, brooding about a new Posh Shop and thinking a real
>> Victorian
>> place would have wide-sweeping staircases for wide sweeping skirts.
>> I thought me of a shop in Brum whch used to be a hotel where they have
>> retained a beauty of a staircase and started to plot.
>
> The Waterstones on New Street?

WOW!!!!

Love that place! A real bookshop in
> comparison to the "book galleries" (some tables with some books on it,
> lots of space, not a lot of shelves).
>
> Last weekend was the weekend I always went back to the University of
> Wolverhampton, I actually miss some things (UGC Broad Street, Birmingham,
> Wolverhampton,

Just a minute... Hold on.. You MISS Wolverhampton????

the Asda) and things I don't (loud and very
> messy students who I shared the kitchen with).

Ah, I see. Young and daft.

> I already made floorplans to build both Walsall and Wolverhampton Halls of
> Residence and tried it out:
> http://photobucket.com/albums/v333/rumpel_teazer/Wolver...

Gosh, you have been busy.... They look very good... I say, do you try to
zoom and rotate when you look at snaps of Sim buildings?

> Now back to Jane Austen!

I am just waiting for Regency clothes then it's hello, Darcy!
or rather, Catherine Morland and Henry Tilney, a far more entertaining
couple, I always think.
A Sim Northanger Abbey?
Rather a tough job. 8(

Granny.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:20:09 AM

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>
>>Granny Crabapple wrote:
>>

>>>The stairs. More by good luck than good management, I fear. I was lying
>>>in
>>>bed last night, brooding about a new Posh Shop and thinking a real
>>>Victorian
>>>place would have wide-sweeping staircases for wide sweeping skirts.
>>>I thought me of a shop in Brum whch used to be a hotel where they have
>>>retained a beauty of a staircase and started to plot.
>>
>>The Waterstones on New Street?
>

> WOW!!!!

How can you miss that place if you really love books? It got less books
than the big Waterstones, but it got this great atmosphere! Spend a lot
of time there.

> Love that place! A real bookshop in
>
>>comparison to the "book galleries" (some tables with some books on it,
>>lots of space, not a lot of shelves).
>>
>>Last weekend was the weekend I always went back to the University of
>>Wolverhampton, I actually miss some things (UGC Broad Street, Birmingham,
>>Wolverhampton,
>

> Just a minute... Hold on.. You MISS Wolverhampton????

It would be worse if I said that I miss Walsall, but yes, I kind of miss
Wolverhampton. Somewhere on the internet there is a webcam which shows
Registry, a couple of weeks ago I saw one of my teachers walk by!

I just miss campus life and university. Now I live with my parents and
attend uni here in Utrecht (language department is literally around the
corner), but English teachers are much better than the Dutch ones, they
actually answer your questions and reply to your emails.

With a bit of luck I'm going to go to Birmingham for a midweek during
the summer holidays, certainly going to visit Wlv. take loads of
pictures, go to the UGC (to see if ticket-man and popcorn-man are still
there) and maybe even visit Walsall. I have so little souvenirs from
there, just 2 postcards (one still with the ugly plastic sculpture on
Centenary (?) square which went up on flames 1.5 years ago.

> the Asda) and things I don't (loud and very
>
>>messy students who I shared the kitchen with).
>

> Ah, I see. Young and daft.

Most were older than me. Last year I basically lived on salads,
fruitmix, pasta salad and noddles for 4 months, the kitchen was
disgusting. In the end I complained so that I wouldn't be fined with the
rest of the people in my hallway!

Although it was better in Wolverhampton than staying on the same floor
(or building) with course mates (our course attracked people who had
"some" problems) in Walsall, at least the Asda was close by and we had
our own bathroom, so you needn't to worry about disgusting showers and
toilets, and we had free internet access in our rooms.

>>I already made floorplans to build both Walsall and Wolverhampton Halls of
>>Residence and tried it out:
>>http://photobucket.com/albums/v333/rumpel_teazer/Wolver...
>

> Gosh, you have been busy.... They look very good... I say, do you try to
> zoom and rotate when you look at snaps of Sim buildings?

No, I needed a break from studying. I made the snapshots to show a
friend of mine who did the same course and went to WLV as well, so she
knows what I mean with it. Have to make some better green walls for
Walsall though.

>>Now back to Jane Austen!
>>

> I am just waiting for Regency clothes then it's hello, Darcy!
> or rather, Catherine Morland and Henry Tilney, a far more entertaining
> couple, I always think.
> A Sim Northanger Abbey?
> Rather a tough job. 8(

Doing English 19th Century this semester, start in 1.5 weeks, so already
reading ahead. Tackled Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell today and
started Pride and Prejudice, hopefully can finish that this week and
start on Frankenstein. I am not looking forward to Wuthering Heights
though, it's always been my most problematic book.

Bianca
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:35:38 AM

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A real
> split staircase in one room.
> I am rather pleased with it.
>
> http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...
>
> Granny - switching off now. The 'kid' is arriving to put in the new power
> supply (that frightens me) and the Radeon 9800 (which doesn't) I still think
> the case won;t be big enough. 8(((

Gee your good!
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:51:18 AM

used to be a hotel where they have

>>>The Waterstones on New Street?
>>

>> WOW!!!!
>>

> How can you miss that place if you really love books? It got less books
> than the big Waterstones, but it got this great atmosphere! Spend a lot of
> time there.

I was just surprised anyone picked up my rather vague reference. 8))
I haven't been to B'ham for years and years, but I have visited the W'ton
Waterstones lately. It just isn't the same as the marble halls in Brum.
It is sad but I find that unless I need a book I much prefer to browse old
bookshops than new ones.

>> Love that place! A real bookshop in
>>
>>>comparison to the "book galleries" (some tables with some books on it,
>>>lots of space, not a lot of shelves).

Oh yes, and the dreadful 'Buget Book' places? Which are useful for sudden
finds but.... Just a minute. There are some people who, if they didn't buy a
pretty coffee table book, wouldn;t buy a book at all, so I must stop being
critical.
It's like the theme CDs of say ' nicest tunes to whistle from Rachmaninov'?
Better some people whistle the pretty bits than buy a whole symphony and
never play it because parts of it are boring.

Believe me, I know someone who said just that.

>> Just a minute... Hold on.. You MISS Wolverhampton????
>>

> It would be worse if I said that I miss Walsall,

Whoooo!!!! I do believe we have talked before. 8))

but yes, I kind of miss
> Wolverhampton. Somewhere on the internet there is a webcam which shows
> Registry, a couple of weeks ago I saw one of my teachers walk by!

That must be the most boring outside webcam in the UK, though not if you
like watching buses. It shows part of the uni, does it? I never knew that.
But I am a brummie by birth and have only been up here for thirty years so I
can be excused not knowing my way about. 8(

> I just miss campus life and university.

I understand then, and you are forgiven for missing Wolverhampton. 8)

> With a bit of luck I'm going to go to Birmingham for a midweek during the
> summer holidays, certainly going to visit Wlv. take loads of pictures, go
> to the UGC (to see if ticket-man and popcorn-man are still there)

This is nice. I still retain memories of Birmingham from back in the early
1950s and think of things like the Old Bullring 'handy carrier' lady and the
escape artist who rolled about, would all up in chains.

one still with the ugly plastic sculpture on
> Centenary (?) square which went up on flames 1.5 years ago.

Who did that? An art critic?

>>>I already made floorplans to build both Walsall and Wolverhampton Halls
>>>of

I made the snapshots to show a
> friend of mine who did the same course and went to WLV as well, so she
> knows what I mean with it. Have to make some better green walls for
> Walsall though.

Aren't green walls supposed to soothe the soul, or something like that? Did
you feel soothed when you were there?

>>>Now back to Jane Austen!
>>>

> Doing English 19th Century this semester,

Envy!

start in 1.5 weeks, so already
> reading ahead. Tackled Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell today

BAW!!! No Envy!!! Sympathy!!

'Prisons are built with stones of law; brothels with bricks of religion....'
I like that line, though, and that is probably all I do like about Blake.
Sorry. 8( I prefer more robust poets.
You have to have a good grounding in... Oh dear, what's the word, not
metaphysics... Blake was vary strange. He can be read on so may levels. I
suppose you can say that about any decent author/poet.

Oh, but if you want to start a serious fight, then mention Ruskin and I will
explode and tear off your head.

and
> started Pride and Prejudice, hopefully can finish that this week and start
> on Frankenstein. I am not looking forward to Wuthering Heights though,
> it's always been my most problematic book.

I am not sure now if I do envy you. I have always read and enjoyed novels up
to 19th century but if I 'had' to study them would I lose the pleasure?
Example... I was reading Peacock's 'Headlong Hall' once and laughing, and
attracted the attention of 'an expert'. he knew his stuff, I will give him
that, but insisted on explaining 'why' this was put in such a way' and why
Peacock, said such and such... and I can no longer read these bits without
thinking about him and scowling.
Yes, I know sometimes you do need references about historical facts which
might be obscure to the modern reader (Swift is a devil for that) but that
is not the same as cutting right into the style of writing. I don't really
care if this chapter is just to build up tension. I just want to read it and
feel tense.

Do you see what I mean? I am an uneducated happy reader. 8)
I like Frankenstein. Hollywood has completely spoiled that book.

Granny.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:34:40 PM

"Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> We were talking about this not long ago. Well now I have done it. A real
> split staircase in one room.
> I am rather pleased with it.
>
> http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wumpus/sim/st...

More anon. These stairs seem to have hidden snags. Sims get stuck on the
middle landing. Do that arm-waving and showing a wall symbol.
However, if you are controlling them you can click upper floor or down and
they use either stairs without problems.
Sometimes the game-ran Sims can go up and down okay. Sometimes they start to
wave.

Most strange.

Granny.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:45:29 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:43:20 GMT, "Granny Crabapple"

>The stairs. More by good luck than good management, I fear. I was lying in
>bed last night, brooding about a new Posh Shop and thinking a real Victorian
>place would have wide-sweeping staircases for wide sweeping skirts.
>I thought me of a shop in Brum whch used to be a hotel where they have
>retained a beauty of a staircase and started to plot.
>Remembered the talk here about using raised land, and started experimenting
>madly with those little step things.
>Eventually I got it.
>The tall window was after thinking of an old cinema hereabouts which has a
>whopper running along the same lines.
>
>To make the final Victorianish look all it took was a bit of old iron and
>lots of plants - ah, and a posh pillar or two thrown in for good measure.
>Panel all the rest and add flock walpaper...

I love it all. You must be English, right? My hubby is a Londoner
(we met on Usenet in 1998!) and he hasn't been back to England in six
years. We're hoping to go over for a visit this coming October or
so...and then maybe I can see some of the Victorian architecture
that's providing your inspiration :)  Until then I'll have to enjoy it
in the Sims, LOL.

>Sheer luck. 8))) Now I have to add the male and female clothing area and...
>Oh, I can;t be bothered. 8(
>Let them go to the Ruptured Duck and have a pint instead.

The Ruptured Duck, lol.

Vivia

>granny.

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:38:13 PM

>>To make the final Victorianish look all it took was a bit of old iron and
>>lots of plants - ah, and a posh pillar or two thrown in for good measure.
>>Panel all the rest and add flock walpaper...
>
> I love it all. You must be English, right?

Does it show? 8( English, with a bit of Northern Irish, Southern Irish and
Belgian, thrown in.

My hubby is a Londoner
> (we met on Usenet in 1998!) and he hasn't been back to England in six
> years. We're hoping to go over for a visit this coming October or
> so...and then maybe I can see some of the Victorian architecture
> that's providing your inspiration :)

See some? My dear, you won't be able to miss it!!!!

>>Sheer luck. 8))) Now I have to add the male and female clothing area
>>and...
>>Oh, I can;t be bothered. 8(
>>Let them go to the Ruptured Duck and have a pint instead.
>
> The Ruptured Duck, lol.

In fond memory of a hand-knitted duck made by an aunt, for a cousin, way
back in 1960s.
You know how some ducks have a sort of bump under the tummy? Not a smooth
single curve from neck to tail? Well this knitted and stuffed duck had a
bump to be proud of. In fact, in the end it was all bump with a sad little
head flopping on the top and two feed sticking out at opposite sides of a
plum-pudding shape.
Everyone called it the Ruptured Duck although I didn;t know what a rupture
was then.

I tried to do a graphics to stick on the front brickwork of the pub but it
turned out so horrible and disturbing it frightened me and gave me bad
dreams.

Must think up a new name...

Granny
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:04:52 PM

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> I couldn;t show you how to do the split landing, never mind a... What IS a
> switch-back staircase?
>
> is it like the one we have here, bent like a hairpin? Up six, turn right. Up
> one, turn right, up six, fall through the bedroom door.
> if so, then you need an expert on getting walls close to floors. 8((((
>
> Granny.

That's the one!

Oh well... one day they'll make it possible...one day :)

Katiya.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:03:47 PM

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>

>>It isn't a budget bookshop, it's actually the bookshop with the best
>>reputation here, but a year ago they changed the "formula" and now there
>>are less bookshelves, more tables (or rather "platforms") and loads of
>>space. The English section has been reduced to 3 bookcases of literature,
>>1.5 bookcases of crime, 1 on sciencefiction (with also has the horror
>>section strangely) and 1 with only Tolkien and Pratchett books.
>

> 8((( And have they installed sofas and coffee machines yet? That is the
> kiss of death in my view. I am a terrible snob.

There is a watercooler, 4 big info desks have appeared on the first
floor (and it isn't that big inside) and they have 3 bookcases of
'novelty items' and gift things and the suddenly have magazines. I
usually order books online anyway, can't get along with the guys in the
English department, they always tried to persuade you not to order books
("but it is an expensive book, do you know for sure you are going to
pick it up?" "it will take six weeks").

>>>Who did that? An art critic?
>>>

>>LOL, probably, saw it on the news last year, smoked pretty good! They've
>>replaced it with the statue of Watt and his friends that used to be across
>>the street.
>

> I shall stop myself from saying Which Watt?
> I rather like the older statues of famous people that appear in our towns.
> Do you know Victoria Square in brum? I think it has been renamed now. Right
> in front of the Town hall, anyway. There is a statue of Queen Victoria
> looking very disapproving and down her nose.. At one time she stared
> straight into the second storey windows of a strip club.
>
> (I still don't think that 'storey' looks right. 8(

It is still Victoria Square, at least last June it was.
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_IT...

>>I liked the Chimney Sweeper, did that in high school, also during my
>>English oral exam. Four years ago I wrote an essay on it (got a very happy
>>sister now, she uses it to learn for her high school exam).
>

> Lor, if you can write an essay on that you are good.

No, just know how to fake it, we should have gotten a degree in
bullsh**ting along with our HBO diploma and English BA.

> I am my own literature critic. My bed faces the door and one small step and
> down the stairs you go. With practice I can now lie on my bed reading and
> throw a book hard enough so it disappears down stairs, bounces off the wall
> and ends up in the hall. from there it gets kicked into the street.
>
> Not that this has anything to do with Blake... Oh no... 8)

I know books I want to do that with; Portnoy's Complaint for instance.

>>ago I decided to read it properly, but only got half way through, found it
>>very boring and very little happened.
>

> You sound like Alice looking at her sister's book 8))
> You can always skip those parts and just look for conversations....
> I bet your tutours would love that.

I don't think my teacher would like that, we have to make weekly
assignments about the books. Last semester I did 18th C English with the
same set-up, I learned it is best to take a look at the assignment
before I finish the book, then you know if you have to finish it or not.
Thankfully I did not need to finish Pamela or Virtue Rewarded, the
others I finished.

>>>Do you see what I mean? I am an uneducated happy reader. 8)
>>>I like Frankenstein. Hollywood has completely spoiled that book.
>>>

>>I have never seen a Frankenstein movie, closes it gets to is probably Van
>>Helsing (say that as you would say it in Dutch to an English movie ticket
>>seller and they'll be very confused).
>

> Why?

especially 'van' is pronounced differently without going into phonetics
the 'a'sound sounds like a rasta saying 'man'. It confused our
ticketlady greatly, three times in a row!

> Well i strongly advise you NOT to see a movie if one turns up on TV until
> after you have read the book. Then you will wonder what the heck the script
> writer thought he was doing.

That's with most adaptation, seen The Crow? Totally different from the
comic (that was my dissertation topic) or Stephen King's Dreamcatcher. A
couple of weeks ago there was an adaptation of Beowulf on tv, incidently
I just read it for Old & Middle English,
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120604/

> I have this strong urge now to build my Sims a public library. 8(
> But without split stairs!

In a couple of weeks time, together with Walsall and Wolverhampton Campus.

Bianca
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 4:06:42 AM

I am whacked out tonight. Spent the afternoon battling with this new
graphics board. Anybody out there had to install a Radeon after Nvidia has
moved in? Ghastly.
Managed to get into Windows in Safe mode using standard graphics but soon as
I go into the control panel it's click, ping! And I get a blue screen of
death, Damn thing tells me... you have installed new hardware, please
install the drivers.

Will it let me? No, it will not.

Removed the radeon again. 8((((
Looks like it will be a complete reformat after all and can't trust the XP
disc not to mangle both partitions.
I feel old and fed up and snappish and tired.

>> 8((( And have they installed sofas and coffee machines yet? That is the
>> kiss of death in my view. I am a terrible snob.
>>

> There is a watercooler, 4 big info desks have appeared on the first floor
> (and it isn't that big inside)

Manned by four people?

and they have 3 bookcases of
> 'novelty items' and gift things and the suddenly have magazines. I usually
> order books online anyway, can't get along with the guys in the English
> department, they always tried to persuade you not to order books ("but it
> is an expensive book, do you know for sure you are going to pick it up?"
> "it will take six weeks").

Charming.
There is a lot to be said for a hand-held book reader. Most texts can be
downloaded.

>>>I liked the Chimney Sweeper, did that in high school, also during my
>>>English oral exam. Four years ago I wrote an essay on it (got a very
>>>happy sister now, she uses it to learn for her high school exam).
>>

>> Lor, if you can write an essay on that you are good.
>
> No, just know how to fake it, we should have gotten a degree in
> bullsh**ting along with our HBO diploma and English BA.

HURRAH!! It's a knack. Not 'faking it,' You are expanding your answer into
interesting byways. Exams, if you like writing, are fun.
I am cursed with the kind of mind that can soak up information and spit it
out again on paper so it sounds good. However... when I try to put what i
know into practice, I make a right mess of things.

>> Not that this has anything to do with Blake... Oh no... 8)
>>

> I know books I want to do that with; Portnoy's Complaint for instance.

Choke!! Splutter!!!! Errr. Yes dear.

>> You sound like Alice looking at her sister's book 8))
>> You can always skip those parts and just look for conversations....
>> I bet your tutours would love that.
>>

> I don't think my teacher would like that, we have to make weekly
> assignments about the books. Last semester I did 18th C English with the
> same set-up, I learned it is best to take a look at the assignment before
> I finish the book, then you know if you have to finish it or not.
> Thankfully I did not need to finish Pamela or Virtue Rewarded, the others
> I finished.

Gawd. The time of the three volume novel? have you ever read The Monk? It's
a horror.. No, I mean, the story is quite horrid. I am afraid anything that
included 'virtue rewarded' in the title would put me off.
Wistful... There must be masses I haven;t read yet.

>> Well i strongly advise you NOT to see a movie if one turns up on TV until
>> after you have read the book. Then you will wonder what the heck the
>> script writer thought he was doing.
>>

> That's with most adaptation, seen The Crow? Totally different from the
> comic (that was my dissertation topic) or Stephen King's Dreamcatcher. A
> couple of weeks ago there was an adaptation of Beowulf on tv, incidently I
> just read it for Old & Middle English,

Oh, ... Oh, dear, oh lor..... Now... yes. I couldn;t read it. I started,
decided it was bad, and threw it downstairs... Whatever.
Is a thing good because it is old? I have my doubts about Beowulf. Nasty
thuggish thing that he was. That goes for seigfried as well.

Funny you should mention Comics. There was a bit about illustrated books on
TV last night and I sat and watched it. They never mentione Neil Gaiman and
the Sandman series, and I say!! Sandman Sim?
I never 'saw' The crow but did read it. Old school friend of my son isan
addict and brings all his new illust. books up here for me to read. 8)))
Gaiman is my favourite for sheer breadth of learning and his wonderful
graphic design. Oh, those chapter heading pages make me drool.

Oh, I am switching off now. At least this machine is purring quietly now.
There are more fans inside than in a production of the Mikado. The draught
round my legs is something terrific. 8(

Granny grumping.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 6:02:21 AM

I put a Radeon 9600 Pro in a machine that had previously had an NVIDIA
GForce 4 440. I don't remember having any extreme problems.

Stupid Question - have you uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers before putting the
Radeon in?

MM

> [...]

> Is a thing good because it is old? I have my doubts about Beowulf. Nasty
> thuggish thing that he was. That goes for seigfried as well.
>
> Funny you should mention Comics. There was a bit about illustrated books
on
> TV last night and I sat and watched it. They never mentione Neil Gaiman
and
> the Sandman series, and I say!! Sandman Sim?
> I never 'saw' The crow but did read it. Old school friend of my son isan
> addict and brings all his new illust. books up here for me to read. 8)))
> Gaiman is my favourite for sheer breadth of learning and his wonderful
> graphic design. Oh, those chapter heading pages make me drool.
>
> Oh, I am switching off now. At least this machine is purring quietly now.
> There are more fans inside than in a production of the Mikado. The draught

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 11:39:14 AM

>I put a Radeon 9600 Pro in a machine that had previously had an NVIDIA
> GForce 4 440. I don't remember having any extreme problems.
>
> Stupid Question - have you uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers before putting
> the
> Radeon in?
>
> MM

Oh, Madame Mim, we have tried every which way but sideways, used the Nvidea
file removers, the lot.
The card works perfectly in my son's computer.

I googled, and found there were others in the same boat (the Titanic) and
reformatting is the last resort.
It really is a baffle now. Logic tells me I should be able to do this one
way or the other but once I started getting the endless, and varying
blue-screen messages I had to give up. Now way to restart except with a hard
reset.

The hardware is okay. The comp works with the old card. No problems with
power any more and yes, i did plug the Radeon into the power supply.. It
soon tells you if you do not. The radeon was in System hardware profiles but
any attempt to load drivers and 'you have no graphics card...' Crash! Out
we go.

I am starting to wonder about the motherboard now but son tells me not to be
so silly. 8(((( HOLD ON...... What is the Voltage specs of the radeon... Oh
lor.... Can't find it anywhere.. Oh, this is daft. I am grasping at straws.
The damn thing wouldn;t fit in the AGP slot if the power wasn't right. 8(((

If you were doing a reformat (will try just the C drive, but back up
everything just in case) at which point would you change the graphics card?
I know what i would do with Win 98, but am not sure how XP CD handles
things.

Oh why can't we just command line everything and Fdisk all over the place.
So easy.

Granny - in a tizz.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 12:27:07 PM

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> I am whacked out tonight. Spent the afternoon battling with this new
> graphics board. Anybody out there had to install a Radeon after Nvidia has
> moved in? Ghastly.
> Managed to get into Windows in Safe mode using standard graphics but soon as
> I go into the control panel it's click, ping! And I get a blue screen of
> death, Damn thing tells me... you have installed new hardware, please
> install the drivers.
>
> Will it let me? No, it will not.
>
> Removed the radeon again. 8((((
> Looks like it will be a complete reformat after all and can't trust the XP
> disc not to mangle both partitions.
> I feel old and fed up and snappish and tired.

Good luck, I usually wait to install important new hardware untill I do
my yearly reformat.

>>> 8((( And have they installed sofas and coffee machines yet? That is the
>>>kiss of death in my view. I am a terrible snob.
>>>

>>There is a watercooler, 4 big info desks have appeared on the first floor
>>(and it isn't that big inside)
>

> Manned by four people?

No, info desks are scattered around the first floor, cooler is near the
info desk of the art section, they watch you like a hawk that nobody
uses it.

>>No, just know how to fake it, we should have gotten a degree in
>>bullsh**ting along with our HBO diploma and English BA.
>

> HURRAH!! It's a knack. Not 'faking it,' You are expanding your answer into
> interesting byways. Exams, if you like writing, are fun.
> I am cursed with the kind of mind that can soak up information and spit it
> out again on paper so it sounds good. However... when I try to put what i
> know into practice, I make a right mess of things.

I only remember the interesting bits, I did English and Education and
for Education we got a load of theory (especially in Amsterdam) about
different teaching methods and who were the people that developed them.
Can't remember a thing about it.

>>I don't think my teacher would like that, we have to make weekly
>>assignments about the books. Last semester I did 18th C English with the
>>same set-up, I learned it is best to take a look at the assignment before
>>I finish the book, then you know if you have to finish it or not.
>>Thankfully I did not need to finish Pamela or Virtue Rewarded, the others
>>I finished.
>

> Gawd. The time of the three volume novel? have you ever read The Monk? It's
> a horror.. No, I mean, the story is quite horrid. I am afraid anything that
> included 'virtue rewarded' in the title would put me off.
> Wistful... There must be masses I haven;t read yet.

Our teacher recommended The Monk...

>>>Well i strongly advise you NOT to see a movie if one turns up on TV until
>>>after you have read the book. Then you will wonder what the heck the
>>>script writer thought he was doing.
>>>

>>That's with most adaptation, seen The Crow? Totally different from the
>>comic (that was my dissertation topic) or Stephen King's Dreamcatcher. A
>>couple of weeks ago there was an adaptation of Beowulf on tv, incidently I
>>just read it for Old & Middle English,
>

> Oh, ... Oh, dear, oh lor..... Now... yes. I couldn;t read it. I started,
> decided it was bad, and threw it downstairs... Whatever.
> Is a thing good because it is old? I have my doubts about Beowulf. Nasty
> thuggish thing that he was. That goes for seigfried as well.

I liked Beowulf, there are lots of other books we had to read I just
want to chuck in the canal outside my door. But I usually finish books
I've started reading, even if I hate them (Portnoy, Robinson Crusoe, etc).

> Funny you should mention Comics. There was a bit about illustrated books on
> TV last night and I sat and watched it. They never mentione Neil Gaiman and
> the Sandman series, and I say!! Sandman Sim?
> I never 'saw' The crow but did read it. Old school friend of my son isan
> addict and brings all his new illust. books up here for me to read. 8)))
> Gaiman is my favourite for sheer breadth of learning and his wonderful
> graphic design. Oh, those chapter heading pages make me drool.

In Sims 2 University you can ressurect dead sims, so a true Crow can be
made.
Doing my dissertation on the Crow put my off of the movie. First I liked
both as two different products, but now I've compared them...

> Oh, I am switching off now. At least this machine is purring quietly now.
> There are more fans inside than in a production of the Mikado. The draught
> round my legs is something terrific. 8(

I've got to go to work, my father has a new rule that on Saturday he
wants to start at 0930, half an hour before the store opens, but I
haven't heard him yet, so I have to take care of the new girl.

Bianca
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 3:07:14 PM

If you're doing a reformat (XP? Boot from CD - 98? Boot from floppy) it
should be fine to have it in right from the start as you won't be accessing
any drivers (or anything else) from the HD.

I couldn't find anything on the net that sounded like the errors you're
reporting. The closest thing I could find was an ATI help page explaining
what to do if your installation failed. I have included a link here in the
hopes that it may help -
http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html

As for a lack of power (or insufficient) you'd get the no video card beep,
or the system would completely fail to boot.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you put the card in and then half
pull it out and wiggle it up and down. I have never heard of dirty pins
causing what you are experiencing - but I know that new Radeons are known
for dirty pins (same as poor seating) and that dirty pins can cause the
video card to not detect (beeps) and the whole computer to not boot at all.
All that doesn't explain why it works in your sons machine, but it won't
hurt to try.

MM

> "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> >I put a Radeon 9600 Pro in a machine that had previously had an NVIDIA
> > GForce 4 440. I don't remember having any extreme problems.
> >
> > Stupid Question - have you uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers before putting
> > the
> > Radeon in?
> >
> > MM
> >
> Oh, Madame Mim, we have tried every which way but sideways, used the
Nvidea
> file removers, the lot.
> The card works perfectly in my son's computer.
>
> I googled, and found there were others in the same boat (the Titanic) and
> reformatting is the last resort.
> It really is a baffle now. Logic tells me I should be able to do this one
> way or the other but once I started getting the endless, and varying
> blue-screen messages I had to give up. Now way to restart except with a
hard
> reset.
>
> The hardware is okay. The comp works with the old card. No problems with
> power any more and yes, i did plug the Radeon into the power supply.. It
> soon tells you if you do not. The radeon was in System hardware profiles
but
> any attempt to load drivers and 'you have no graphics card...' Crash! Out
> we go.
>
> I am starting to wonder about the motherboard now but son tells me not to
be
> so silly. 8(((( HOLD ON...... What is the Voltage specs of the radeon...
Oh
> lor.... Can't find it anywhere.. Oh, this is daft. I am grasping at
straws.
> The damn thing wouldn;t fit in the AGP slot if the power wasn't right.
8(((

> If you were doing a reformat (will try just the C drive, but back up
> everything just in case) at which point would you change the graphics
card?
> I know what i would do with Win 98, but am not sure how XP CD handles
> things.
>
> Oh why can't we just command line everything and Fdisk all over the place.
> So easy.
>
> Granny - in a tizz.

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 4:50:27 PM

> If you're doing a reformat (XP? Boot from CD - 98? Boot from floppy) it
> should be fine to have it in right from the start as you won't be
> accessing
> any drivers (or anything else) from the HD.
>
> I couldn't find anything on the net that sounded like the errors you're
> reporting.

Gosh. I jolly-well have, though I sidetracked to my motherboard. 8((
Whaa-haaa.
Seriously, there are a lot of people out there gnashing their teeth about
everything from serial-booting, with either a ping, or a click or a
ding-dong in between to the external modem disappearing if you change any
hardware whatsoever. BIOS flash available for that. It happens to me all the
time.
I have an Asus mboard and wish I hadn't. Just downloaded quite a few
Flashes to try including support for AGP 8X. Oh my.

I was quite happy with this computer last year.

The closest thing I could find was an ATI help page explaining
> what to do if your installation failed. I have included a link here in the
> hopes that it may help -
> http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html

I really don't think this ia ATI problem. I am moving towards the theory
that this mboard just cannot cope with the strain.

> As for a lack of power (or insufficient) you'd get the no video card
> beep,
> or the system would completely fail to boot.

Quite. I did mention that the the 'men' but you know how it goes. 'yes,
dear, now go back to your knitting...'
Son has run back home and nobody is answering the phone.

> The only other thing I can suggest is that you put the card in and then
> half
> pull it out and wiggle it up and down.

8))) Ahhh! The hand of god!! I can remeber one of my computers in the way
back when, actually needed to be picked up and shaken a few times when
things went wrong.

I have never heard of dirty pins
> causing what you are experiencing - but I know that new Radeons are known
> for dirty pins (same as poor seating) and that dirty pins can cause the
> video card to not detect (beeps)

I will check this... Well i can check the cards connections, but how the
heck to check the slot? .. No, pin-strip looks golden and lovely and current
card running okay.

The thing is the comp IS recognising the card, and listing it. But when I
start 'download drivers', it tells me there is nothing there to drive.

This is the same problem I have been having with the external modem. It
disappears and computer says 'you have no modem...' I have been fixing that
by unconnecting it, then reloading all the drivers again. A pest.

and the whole computer to not boot at all.
> All that doesn't explain why it works in your sons machine, but it won't
> hurt to try.

It's fun, isn;t it? 8(.... just keep plugging away. For the record, I am
now keeping a complete log of every step i take and the result, therefrom.
Either sooner or later it will work, and I might know why. or I will have to
reformat, and no guarantee that the new card will work then, if indeed it is
a more serious problem than left-behind NVidea drivers.
This reason is starting to sound a bit weak.....

I will soon have enough spare bits and pieces to build another computer.
8(((

Granny.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 8:24:25 PM

> The only other thing I can suggest is that you put the card in and
> then half pull it out and wiggle it up and down. I have never heard
> of dirty pins causing what you are experiencing - but I know that new
> Radeons are known for dirty pins (same as poor seating) and that
> dirty pins can cause the video card to not detect (beeps) and the
> whole computer to not boot at all. All that doesn't explain why it
> works in your sons machine, but it won't hurt to try.
>
> MM

Maybe the slot is bad? Try a different one.

Jeanie
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 12:53:44 AM

That'd be why I couldn't find reports on your error. A search is only as
good as the info you put in - and I was concentrating on the Radeon/NVIDIA
side of things.

Send me a PM to mad dot mim at bigpond dot net dot au with as complete specs
of your computer that you can give and all the details about the error
messages as well and I will get my boss to look at it tomorrow. Maybe a
professional tech will have some new insight.

MM

"Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D a4Nd.8038$8B3.7119@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> [...]
> disappears and computer says 'you have no modem...' I have been fixing
that
> by unconnecting it, then reloading all the drivers again. A pest.
>
> and the whole computer to not boot at all.
> > All that doesn't explain why it works in your sons machine, but it won't
> > hurt to try.
> >
> It's fun, isn;t it? 8(.... just keep plugging away. For the record, I
am
> now keeping a complete log of every step i take and the result, therefrom.
> Either sooner or later it will work, and I might know why. or I will have
> reformat, and no guarantee that the new card will work then, if indeed it
is
> a more serious problem than left-behind NVidea drivers.
> This reason is starting to sound a bit weak.....
>
> I will soon have enough spare bits and pieces to build another computer.

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 2:21:53 AM

> That'd be why I couldn't find reports on your error. A search is only as
> good as the info you put in - and I was concentrating on the Radeon/NVIDIA
> side of things.

Oh, absolutely. I didn;t go into details because this isn't the place. We
have gallopped.. galloped.. yeah, galloped, off line as it is.
I started off with: New Radeon problem Nvidia remove driver, and went on
from there. 8(

> Send me a PM to mad dot mim at bigpond dot net dot au with as complete
> specs
> of your computer that you can give and all the details about the error
> messages as well and I will get my boss to look at it tomorrow. Maybe a
> professional tech will have some new insight.

8)))) I will get on it first thing in the morning. I will have to kill the
Nvid drivers, then put the Radeon card back in and take note of what
happens.
Since then my floppy has died.. Perhaps, considering I was going to flash me
BIOS, that is just as well. 8(

I can also kill watches, both wind-up and digital, just by wearing them and
at times I get static shocks from a wooden fence post.
Not really suitable for yanking bits of computers about, me. 8)

Granny.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 4:42:47 PM

Madame Mim!

Ghastly morning here getting nowhere. I have sent of an email. THEN son
phoned and has shouted at me for suggesting the motherboard is at fault as
he uses the same one!

He is pushing for a reformat, and shove in the new board while I reboot. I
am pushing for a cup of coffee and a nice nap.

Granny - utterly fed up.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:28:18 AM

Granny I haven't seen this message. What was the subject? Do you still have
it in your sent items?

It is possible that I didn't recognise the 'from' and/or if it had no
subject it would have been automatically deleted by my guards.

Send it again with "From Granny" as the subject if you think I might have
lost it, rather than it is still in transit.

MM
ps - whenever possible _always_ chose a nap over doing something rash.
;')

> Madame Mim!
>
> Ghastly morning here getting nowhere. I have sent of an email. THEN son
> phoned and has shouted at me for suggesting the motherboard is at fault as
> he uses the same one!
>
> He is pushing for a reformat, and shove in the new board while I reboot. I
> am pushing for a cup of coffee and a nice nap.
>
> Granny - utterly fed up.

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 9:51:28 AM

Granny - still haven't received any mail - but I spoke to my boss (David).
He says it may be as simple as the drivers that shipped with your card are
out of date. He has actually seen your error message in situations where
downloading the latest drivers and using them instead fixed everything. Your
Radeon will have either a TI or an NVIDIA chipset and, he NEVER uses the
shipped drivers with anything NVIDIA as they are almost always too old to be
any good. You need to download the latest drivers for your card and OS.

Oh God - or do I mean OhMikeGhod ;') - I hope this isn't something you've
already tried and that it works for you).

MM

"Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Madame Mim!
>
> Ghastly morning here getting nowhere. I have sent of an email. THEN son
> phoned and has shouted at me for suggesting the motherboard is at fault as
> he uses the same one!
>
> He is pushing for a reformat, and shove in the new board while I reboot. I
> am pushing for a cup of coffee and a nice nap.
>
> Granny - utterly fed up.

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:35:04 PM

> Granny - still haven't received any mail - but I spoke to my boss (David).

Yes... yes?.... <agog>

> He says it may be as simple as the drivers that shipped with your card are
> out of date. He has actually seen your error message in situations where
> downloading the latest drivers and using them instead fixed everything.
> Your
> Radeon will have either a TI or an NVIDIA chipset and, he NEVER uses the
> shipped drivers with anything NVIDIA as they are almost always too old to
> be
> any good. You need to download the latest drivers for your card and OS.
>
> Oh God - or do I mean OhMikeGhod ;') - I hope this isn't something you've
> already tried and that it works for you).

Fear not, my little pumplin, I have never managed to get that far!!! With
the board in, the option of loading the drivers never arose. The option of
doing anything at all apart from swear never arose.

You ask him... What would make the computer crash once the board is in, with
nothing on C drive at all?
You know what i think. See Other post.

Granny. Time for my nap.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:35:04 PM

> Granny I haven't seen this message. What was the subject? Do you still
> have
> it in your sent items?

Boo-hooo! No! I have reformatted since then and hereby hangs a worse tale.
With the Radeon card in the computer just will not load windows. It took
three goes to reformat. And once the comp just wouldn;t start at all. Black
screen from scratch.
But load in windows? No way. I gave up fiddling after five hours, put Nvidia
back in, reformatted, to be on the safe side, and loaded in XP with no
trouble at all.

This has GOT to be either hardware or BIOS, as both cards and my connectors
are proven to work.
AS wretched son has the same motherboard, then BIOS is looking increasingly
likely and we, 'my husband and I' are starting to brood about that voltage
setting but no way am I increasing anything until I know exactly what
wretched son has in his computer.

All I get from him now is 'you have broken it again, haven't you?' and he
isn;t too big to feel the back of my hand, either.
News Flash... he says he will 'come and take it away....'.... 'And fix it.'

Is it too late in life to remind him how he broke my BBC B and I had to
solder up the bits???? Or how he broke the back window.. AND the glass in
the front door???.....
Mini rant over.

Watch this space.
Granny.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:35:05 PM

news:D j7Nd.50434$EG1.29054@attbi_s53...

>> The only other thing I can suggest is that you put the card in and
>> then half pull it out and wiggle it up and down. I have never heard
>> of dirty pins causing what you are experiencing - but I know that new
>> Radeons are known for dirty pins (same as poor seating) and that
>> dirty pins can cause the video card to not detect (beeps) and the
>> whole computer to not boot at all. All that doesn't explain why it
>> works in your sons machine, but it won't hurt to try.
>>
>> MM
>
> Maybe the slot is bad? Try a different one.

I only have one. 8(((

Granny.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 9:05:11 PM

> Boo-hooo! No! I have reformatted since then and hereby hangs a worse
> tale. With the Radeon card in the computer just will not load
> windows. It took three goes to reformat. And once the comp just
> wouldn;t start at all. Black screen from scratch.
> But load in windows? No way. I gave up fiddling after five hours, put
> Nvidia back in, reformatted, to be on the safe side, and loaded in XP
> with no trouble at all.
>>
> This has GOT to be either hardware or BIOS, as both cards and my
> connectors are proven to work.

It;s your motherboard, Granny. I had almost exactly the same thing happen.
I know you have the same motherboard as your son, but apparently yours is
defective. Get a new one (return the one you have and demand a different
one if its fairly new) and see if that doesn't take care of the problem.

Jeanie
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 9:05:58 PM

Granny Crabapple wrote:
> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> news:D j7Nd.50434$EG1.29054@attbi_s53...
>>

>>> The only other thing I can suggest is that you put the card in and
>>> then half pull it out and wiggle it up and down. I have never heard
>>> of dirty pins causing what you are experiencing - but I know that
>>> new Radeons are known for dirty pins (same as poor seating) and that
>>> dirty pins can cause the video card to not detect (beeps) and the
>>> whole computer to not boot at all. All that doesn't explain why it
>>> works in your sons machine, but it won't hurt to try.
>>>
>>> MM
>>
>> Maybe the slot is bad? Try a different one.
>>
> I only have one. 8(((
>
> Granny.

It's the motherboard. Get a new one. That one is defective. I'd try to
find one with lots of slots in it if I were you.

Jeanie
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:51:48 PM

Most motherboards I've heard of only ever have one AGP slot.

MM

> Granny Crabapple wrote:
> > "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> > news:D j7Nd.50434$EG1.29054@attbi_s53...

> >> Maybe the slot is bad? Try a different one.
> >>
> > I only have one. 8(((
> >
> > Granny.
>
> It's the motherboard. Get a new one. That one is defective. I'd try to
> find one with lots of slots in it if I were you.
>
> Jeanie

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:27:19 AM

> Most motherboards I've heard of only ever have one AGP slot.

I am glad you said that. I went galloping off onto the web to try find one -
and couldn;t. 8(

What I want to know is what is the .. Oh, no I don't. let the kid sort it
out for me. That is what sons are for.

granny.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:27:19 AM

>> Boo-hooo! No! I have reformatted since then and hereby hangs a worse
>> tale. With the Radeon card in the computer just will not load
>> windows. It took three goes to reformat. And once the comp just
>> wouldn;t start at all. Black screen from scratch.
>> But load in windows? No way. I gave up fiddling after five hours, put
>> Nvidia back in, reformatted, to be on the safe side, and loaded in XP
>> with no trouble at all.
>>>
>> This has GOT to be either hardware or BIOS, as both cards and my
>> connectors are proven to work.
>
> It;s your motherboard, Granny. I had almost exactly the same thing
> happen.
> I know you have the same motherboard as your son, but apparently yours is
> defective.

We are upgrading the BIOS first. I hope. Then if nothing happens we/he will
see,

Get a new one (return the one you have and demand a different
> one if its fairly new)

One year and about two weeks old???

and see if that doesn't take care of the problem.

I can solve the problem in two minutes if someone will lend me a sledge
hammer. I wish I knew someone round here who is soft in the head and has a
more powerful Nvid card, to see if that works. I even had the power
connectors out the other day, poking at them with a multimeter.
'You're getting desperate,' said husband.

I just growled.
I wouldn;t mind, but pooter works perfectly until it sees that Radeon board.
8(

Granny.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 7:09:22 AM

David has another suggestion. Perhaps your Radeon is 8xAGP and your MB and
NVIDIA are 4xAGP (even if your son has the same board he may have a later
release with 8xAGP on). This would explain everything you have described so
far.

MM

"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[really wild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
message news:X2RNd.9624$8B3.9226@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> Boo-hooo! No! I have reformatted since then and hereby hangs a worse
> >> tale. With the Radeon card in the computer just will not load
> >> windows. It took three goes to reformat. And once the comp just
> >> wouldn;t start at all. Black screen from scratch.
> >> But load in windows? No way. I gave up fiddling after five hours, put
> >> Nvidia back in, reformatted, to be on the safe side, and loaded in XP
> >> with no trouble at all.
> >>>
> >> This has GOT to be either hardware or BIOS, as both cards and my
> >> connectors are proven to work.
> >
> > It;s your motherboard, Granny. I had almost exactly the same thing
> > happen.
> > I know you have the same motherboard as your son, but apparently yours
is
> > defective.
>
> We are upgrading the BIOS first. I hope. Then if nothing happens we/he
will
> see,
>
> Get a new one (return the one you have and demand a different
> > one if its fairly new)
>
> One year and about two weeks old???
>
> and see if that doesn't take care of the problem.
> >
> I can solve the problem in two minutes if someone will lend me a sledge
> hammer. I wish I knew someone round here who is soft in the head and has
> more powerful Nvid card, to see if that works. I even had the power
> connectors out the other day, poking at them with a multimeter.
> 'You're getting desperate,' said husband.
>
> I just growled.
> I wouldn;t mind, but pooter works perfectly until it sees that Radeon
board.
> 8(
>
> Granny.

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:14:53 PM

> David has another suggestion. Perhaps your Radeon is 8xAGP and your MB and
> NVIDIA are 4xAGP (even if your son has the same board he may have a later
> release with 8xAGP on). This would explain everything you have described
so
> far.
>
> MM

Ha!!! Actually I have the later motherboard. 8)) But yes, this did throw him
for a few seconds.
Other info in my first post and I am now going to 'catch up' and clear out
my group folders so anything else I haven't seen, I won't see.
There are 28,556 odd posts here and only downloaded the headers.

Granny.
!