Cant Keep my Radeon 4870 to stay in the Pci-Express Slot

superman_legendary

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I installed a Radeon 4870 in my Gateway DX 4200 but it doesnt want to stay put. The long part seems to go all the way in but short part I think can go in further but no matter far i push it wont go down further. So im guessing its far as it can go so now im on it right now but i got to keep the computer on its side because it will stay but the slight little move to set it right side up makes come loose a little and it wont work. I wont get close enough downward for me to screw it in to the back of the computer with those little screws. Newb I know but anytips this sucks. I wont to keep it stayed put for good.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
motherboards typically have a blocker which stops the board from coming out, in your case look towards the end of the slot for a piece of plastic and see if you can pull it out of the way (only a little bit) whilst installing the card, it should then pop back into the L shared bit at the end of the cardslot to hold it in place.

From your ramblings:) I`m guessing you are not quite alignming the card correctly. The narrow part of the metal end piece should slip down between the motherboard and case. It is a small gap and easily missed.
Try installing the card with the computer on its side by aligning the end piece with the case and sliding the card straight down while keeping the end piece in contact with the case rear and the card leval.

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
lol i would recommend lubrication to make it "slip in" :p but i'm not going to incase you take me seriously and try it... SERIOUSLY no liquids near your pc :p...

superman_legendary

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks guys. In this case if small screws aint big enough use bigger screws. I found a way to screw it down to the back just had to go purchase slightly bigger screws. Thanks for the feedback great site. My graphics card is so big compared to my mother and space so I think that why I had a little trouble. Some website said use small graphics cards for my pc but i made it work.