New build cant install vista

rcd7767

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
brand new gaming system trying to install vista prem 64bit on my wd640gb hd, ''gigabyte ep45-ud3p mobo'' vista cant find drivers for hd, tried disk that came with mobo same problem, ''NO DEVICE DRIVERS WERE FOUND'' is what it keeps telling me, hdd was oem from newegg no disks came with it, does anyone have any suggestions? im sure i probably did something wrong ''first build'' please help!!!! right now what i have is a $1300.00 paper weight!!!!!!!!!

redxeon

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
so what you haven't installed vista? or you did? Your hdd doesn't need drivers. If your new to building. You have to go into your bios and make the boot priority 1. CD/DVD drive 2. Harddrive.
Than you reboot with vista cd in the dvd drive.
Hope this helps.

rcd7767

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
thank you for info will try now, another ? when i turn on comp it doesnt go to post screen if i dont hit delete to go to bios it goes to a screen that says ''verifiying DMI pool data'' and the only way to get out is to restart comp and then the viciuos circle starts again. no i havent installed vista yet been trying to for 3 days keep getting same message, will go check bios now

optional22

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You arn't booting from CDROM. Try hitting I think it was F12. It shows up on the Gigabyte logo, the boot menu is what you want. It will open a menu and go to CDROM. That will load Vista. If your problem is that Vista isn't recognizing your hard drive, then read on.

I talked to Gigabyte for 6 hours, and they just had their heads up their asses the whole time.

First off, if no drivers are showing up, that means your BIOS isn't set to ACHI mode. I don't have my computer on me, so I forgot where in the BIOS that was exactly. It was on the left column and 2-4 rows down. It was the very first option in that menu (originally set to disabled). Also make sure HPET is set to 64 bit mode (all other options were set to default). That should be enough to get drivers off USB drives and floppy disks recognized. For me though, that wasn't enough to get my hard drive recognized. I figured it out though. The South Bridge has problems detecting WD and Seagate hard drives that are unformatted/unpartitioned. The solution is to go to Western Digital's website, go to support, and under downloads, find your exact hard drive. Download the Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS (CD or Floppy doesn't matter) and put it on the CD/Floppy and boot your computer from that CD/Floppy instead of Vista. The actual program is buggy as hell, it took me 20 minutes to trick it into working. Get it to partition any amount of space, it doesn't matter as long as it is one partition. After you have a bit of it partitioned, boot from Vista. Once you get to the screen where you can pick which hard drive to partition, you should see your hard drive's partition (you don't need any drivers). Click on it and go to expand partition, and expand it to the whole drive, and reformat it. Make sure no USB drive is in your computer or else you get a weird error, and then it installs Vista just fine.

My system:

1 x Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
1 x NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
1 x GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
1 x HIS Hightech H487F1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
1 x CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail
2 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail
1 x SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM
1 x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
1 x Acer P243WAid Black-Silver 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP Support - Retail
1 x Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail
1 x ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A3T - Retail
1 x Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
1 x Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
1 x ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail
1 x Rosewill RFX-100B 90mm PCI Slot Case Cooler - Retail
1 x Logitech Z-4 40 watts 2.1 Speaker - Retail

Good luck.

rcd7767

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
i also talked to 3 different people at gigabyte with 3 different solutions none worked, 3 hours later same problem. i went to wd website and found wd640gb but different letters at the end mine is wd640cs theres is wd640ks, not totally sure on the letters at the end but they were different from mine, will that be a problem?

rcd7767

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
i also took pictures of my bios but i dont know how to post them here or if your allowed to, figure that would be easier for someone to help if they could see how everything is set up, if anyone could help with that it would probably diegnose my problem alot faster, sorry for the spelling

optional22

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Gigabyte support is retarded. Read what I posted, did that help or no? There's no way you did that all already unless something went wrong.

optional22

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I don't know where HPET is. You don't need it to install Vista.

You need to partition your hard drive using the program I mentioned. Read my post all the way through. I know you're frustrated, I was too. Just slow down and go through everything so it works.

rcd7767

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
im trying to install vista now it takes forever to do, went to wd website to download lifeguard tools and now xp wont let me open it, just incase i needed it.

hoot504

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I just ordered parts for a pc i plan to build next week, including the ga-ep45-ud3p and a seagate barracuda drive. Is there any chance I won't encounter this problem? Either way, I'm glad I found this thread; big thanks to you optional!

rcd7767

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
got to page where it says ''where do you want to install windows'' and nothing is listed. the bottom says ''no drives were found,click load driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation'' do i leave vista in and click or put gigabytes disk in and click

optional22

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
No problem... And I dunno hoot; it seems like some people get lucky and never have that problem. It is actually an easy fix once you know what to do.

optional22

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
RCD, Gigabyte says you should put that USB drive containing the Southbridge drivers and load them. That should get the hard drive to show up so you can partition it.

Seriously, it is all in my previous really long post.

rcd7767

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
i aprecieate all the help you have given me, i probably should have stated this is my first build and i am a complete idiot when it comes computer language, wondering if i should just rma the hard drive and get a retail version that comes with the disk and everthing else, i could pick up a 1tb, would that work or do you think i would have the same problem, thanks again for all your help i know its frustrating to deal with noobies

hoot504

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Here's a grand idea, take the help that was given to you. Optional outlined exactly what to do in his previous post; instead of ignoring that and returning the drive, why don't you give it a shot?

rcd7767

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Download the Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS (CD or Floppy doesn't matter) and put it on the CD/Floppy and boot your computer from that CD/Floppy instead of Vista.

optional22

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You don't need to open it. It is probably an .iso file if you are using the CD version. You need to burn the ISO on to a CD. You burn it onto a CD, then put it onto the computer you are building and boot from CD. I don't remember the exact options in that program, but you need to partition the hard drive.

optional22

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I also doubt that there is a problem with your hard drive. It is your motherboard giving you problems. If you really want to avoid this problem and not try to fix it the way I am telling you, pick out a new motherboard.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I don't believe there is any problem with the Intel ICH10R southbridge.

rcd7767, do you have the HD plugged into the ICH10R SATA ports or the GSATA ports? If you have it plugged into a GSATA port, then move it to SATA0 of the ICH10 (marked in red). Also move the DVD if it is not on the ICH10.

2vamr94.jpg

If that is the case then go into BIOS and default it and then set the HPET to [64-bit mode] in CMOS Setup Utility. Set the First Boot Device to [CDROM]. You can also set the SATA Port0-3 Native Mode to [Enabled], but it's not critical.

Then try again.