Sign in with
Your question

Liquid Cooling Sytem 4xGPU 1xCPU

Last response: in Overclocking
May 28, 2010 10:50:26 AM

GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW quad sli
Core i7 980X
Thermaltake 1500w PSU

I am looking for a liquid cooling sytem to cool 4 of those gtx 480 and the core i7.I have seen cooling systems for 2 gpus.

Please advise.Also advice about liquids to be used in these systems.Which gives more cooling and less conductivity of electricity.

Thanks,
May 28, 2010 11:17:21 AM

Can I atleast modify any liquid cooling system like that of swiftech
m
l
May 28, 2010 11:14:47 PM

WOW that would definately need a dual loop setup. One for the CPU and one for the GPU's.

For the CPU I would use a switech kit like this one: Swiftech H20-220-APEX ULTIMA CPU Liquid Cooling Kit w/ Apogee XT for $240
But for the GPU's I would do something like this:
4x DD-GTX480 All Copper Version w/ 1/2" fittings
1x DD12V-D5 Pump Fixed Speed by Laing
1x Feser X-Changer 480 - Quad 120mm Radiator w/ 1/2" fittings
8x Yate Loon 120mm Medium Speed Fan: D12SM-12
1x EK Waterblocks EK-RES150 Rev.2 Multi-Option Reservoir w/ 1/2" fittings
6ft of ClearFlex 60 Tubing

That should cool the gpu's fairly well.

-ouch1
m
l
Related resources
a c 86 K Overclocking
May 29, 2010 2:54:02 AM

Wow. Not enough PSU wattage.

Ouch1, what do you know about heatloads of a 480 and what DT temps he would expect with 4 of those cards under load? LOL, a 480 isn't enough. Do the math. Post links, post real answers to get the guy buying what he needs.

Man... You should teach yourself before you post a parts list that is a fail.

At least tell him to start at the top post I wrote and tell him read and see you in a week.

the OP is just dreaming anyway, once he sees the $600 bill just to cool the cards, another $350 for the CPU, and another $450 for the GPUs he'll probably go OMG, really????

Almost $1500 and massive case, another $400.

4 GTX 480's? righttttt............

m
l
May 29, 2010 6:16:30 AM

I got a budget of $15,000 to built my dream pc.Everything except the cooling system has been chosen.

Please help me choose the cooling systems
m
l
May 30, 2010 5:16:44 AM

Can i place a single loop for this 4 gpus and another loop for gpu.Will that do the trick.I like to do some serious overclocking.Cooling is the last piece to complete the puzzle
m
l
May 30, 2010 10:55:19 PM

hahaha 15k for a 'dream pc' thats a decent down payment for a house dude! just spent 20k on a downpayment for my house(renting) and i make an extra $700 a month by doing nothing =P

you should really REALLY consider investing instead of 15k on a computer >.>
m
l
May 31, 2010 12:37:08 AM

seriously...you need to split this $$ up...if you want the best gaming PC then spend about $3000 now and get a pair of GTX480's for sli which can handle any game now...and a i7 930, overclock the CPU...then in 2 years build a new system. Look at it this way; 2 years ago a top line system would be a QX6850...with 2x 8800GTX ultra videocards in Sli. a great system for the time, but it would be blown away by today's i7's and the new offerings from Ati & Nvidia.

So a 980x and 4 GTX 480's would be overkill today...and in 2 years would be outclassed by new offerings with no upgrade path. hell, for $15,000 you could build a $3000 system every 2 years for 10 years!
m
l
May 31, 2010 12:37:50 AM

its his money he can do what he wants with it he asked for cooler advice not financial advice

imo i would rather quad 5870's. would require alot less power and the cooling wouldn't have to be as drastic.

btw what case are you looking at
m
l
May 31, 2010 9:17:30 AM

no...you are going to need quite a few really big radiators
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2010 1:05:10 PM

@ i4yue , OMG I signed a contract for a house no too long ago. Though my down payment was $100k, i just collecting rent off it so the house pays for itself and some. Just the idea of smarter things you can do with $$$

Then again I do love computers. I personally think 4 GTX 480s is a little overkill and it kinda really is. 2 GTX 480 with a little water and OC and max out every game on 2560x1600. Extra GTX 480s would just give off extra heat and drain extra power. I personally don't care about power, I think electricity is cheap and I can totally afford it but heat on the otherhand can be uncomfortable. If you game on a second floor it can feel uncomfortably hot. I personally stopped overclocking because of sweaty temps XD

Now if you are going through with this. The system in your picture has too much excess tubing. You can connect the cards with couplers like this and this can save space and look much more clean.

http://gallery.spykes.net/d/13724-2/2010_04_15-12_41_19...

Would a 360 radiator be good enough? Well it depends. If you get one of these with two sets of fans
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20...
You can probably put everything in one loop and get about 40C - 50C if you promise not to overclock the cards. It temp is still way better than air cooling for sure and definitely quieter. Don't for a second think you can overclock the temps up to 90C since the cards run like that on air anyway, you definitely don't want to exceed 70C since the high grade PVC tubing would start losing structual integrity at that point and many things can happen XD

In my point of view, I think you should just go for the triple thickness radiator and don't overclock because mounting multiple radiators is a real pain and you probably already realise the complications. People do buy crazy super cars because they are fast, good looking and you don't have to mod them. The same idea applies to expensive computers. How off putting it is to spend a huge chunk of money and then realise you need to drill holes >_<

Then again, do you even need to overclock. The GTX 480s are incredibly fast already and with 4 of them you can power any monitor with max frame rate. If you don't overclock, you can probably do with a single 1500W PSU.
m
l
May 31, 2010 2:06:51 PM

I am getting a 1600w psu and the main thing i want to have a liquid cooling is to overclock.Otherwise the stock cooling is enough.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2010 5:35:00 PM

i7 980X + 4 GTX 480 draw 1.5KW at stock speeds. 1.6KW is not enough for an overclock especially if you adding pumps and stuff in the system.

Your best bet is to mount two power supplies. Most full towers do have top and bottom mounts for power supplies.

Stock cooling is a joke. The GTX 480 is the hottest card you can buy and definitely one of the loudest. I wouldn't want having 4 of them at all XD
m
l
May 31, 2010 7:06:46 PM

even though the gpu temp reads 90c or w/e temp it reads when you overclock your water temps never get that high though. when my cpu temps are in the 40s my water temps are in the 30s and ambient is like 23ish?
m
l
June 1, 2010 11:41:50 AM

is there a 2000w psu that can fit in a cosmos s chassis
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
June 1, 2010 2:32:17 PM

LOL, you start hooking up a 2000 watt PSU and use most of it's power you better look at your room wiring. Your going to be pulling over 17 amps, most house circuits are rated at 15-20 amps. If it's an old house pre 1970 I'd worry........

Not counting the electric bill.

4 GTX 480's? LOL I also ask why?
m
l
June 1, 2010 3:21:11 PM

If your going to build a system of this caliber you need to go to a site like where we hang out most of the time. This way you can get an idea of what you need and are what your getting into!!! I don't doubt you have the funds but use it to your advantage.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
June 1, 2010 4:50:21 PM

Conumdrum said:
LOL, you start hooking up a 2000 watt PSU and use most of it's power you better look at your room wiring. Your going to be pulling over 17 amps, most house circuits are rated at 15-20 amps. If it's an old house pre 1970 I'd worry........

This. That's a TON of power for a single house circuit, not to mention if you hook up a good sound system pulling, what, 300W? 500W? You might need to get a bit of rewiring done just so you don't burn the house down.
m
l
June 1, 2010 7:39:18 PM

Conumdrum said:
Wow. Not enough PSU wattage.

Ouch1, what do you know about heatloads of a 480 and what DT temps he would expect with 4 of those cards under load? LOL, a 480 isn't enough. Do the math. Post links, post real answers to get the guy buying what he needs.

Man... You should teach yourself before you post a parts list that is a fail.

At least tell him to start at the top post I wrote and tell him read and see you in a week.

the OP is just dreaming anyway, once he sees the $600 bill just to cool the cards, another $350 for the CPU, and another $450 for the GPUs he'll probably go OMG, really????

Almost $1500 and massive case, another $400.

4 GTX 480's? righttttt............

Sorry my bad, I kind of got distracted while composing my post. I meant to say two of the rads should be good for 4 cards. Since accoring to your own post here (link) you say that a 2x120mm fan should be good for 1 card. So by logical deduction 2 4x120mm rads should be good for 4 480's.

BTW - before you flame someone please read their other posts. I have backed you in many other threads before. But I am tired of your attitude. I will never again back you when you piss someone off with your "holier than thou" attitude. So I missed linking to your post. WTF!!! I missed your lil ol post that you have not updated in a while. Dude just because someone posts something you don't agree with dont start flaming and chewing them out. And when you do that you sound like some old a55h0l3 who needs to get his head out of his PC and see that the sky is blue, the grass is green, and the air is fresh. Oh and by the way the beer is crisp and refreshing too.
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:48:00 AM

A friend of mine had tri 480's, didn't rune 2 loops and his airflow was all jacked up, he learned quick to do more indept research. So running 2 seperate cooling systems is a must for this. I'd say oc'in that cpu id use at least 240 mm or 2x 120 mm rad's. As for the quad gpus if their oc'd, for safe temps id use at least 120mm x 6 rads or w/e setup is easier to fit. Gpu temps can be half your worrys, pumps have their limit too and with pump failure can cost you your gpu's. All it takes is a brief afk with prime95 running with the wrong cooling setup and before you know it your fluid expands leaking from fittings, pump failure, reservoirs depending on material will crack, and smoking gpu's.
m
l
!