First Build... sort of discerning PLEASE HELP!!!

precarious

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
HEY GUYS
this is my first true build, im sort of a neophyte, but i am extremely enthusiastic about building my first comp :) today on christmas, i finally got my hands on all the parts, which i picked out, and have been precariously waiting on for months now, and im having some troubles. no one in my family is any good with computers, so im turning to you guys. I have a feeling that im missing something exceedingly simple and i'll probally feel pretty stupid when yall finally bring it to my realization :) nevertheless, any help is much appreciated

to my understanding, i first need to plug my monitor into my mobo inorder to install the mobo drivers and disable the integrated graphic drivers before installing the video card and running the monitor through that and eventually installing its respective drivers.. the problem w/ this is that on my P5Q SE motherboard, there seems to be only audio, mouse, keyboard, and usb jacks.. nothing for a monitor ): so ive installed the gpu and plugged the monitor into the gpu. so i boot up, and all the fans are running great, (including the gpu's) led lights are blaring, everything sounds right, and well other than the lack of picture, everything seems to be spot on. IS there anything i need to do inorder to get my monitor to run w/ my gpu? do they expect me to install all of the drivers blindly, or is there something im missing?
the other problem is that my apevia X-discovery, which came w/ a power supply, has all of those little cables for the system panel connector but it seems to lack the tiny 4-pin connector for the system warning speaker and this thing seems to be pretty important, since its morse-code-like beeps are the only way for my precious comp to communicate its problems to me. will any 4-pin from the psu work? though that doesn't seem right, hence the user manual made it out like the cable would be fed from the chassis like the rest of the cables that plug into the panel connector.

specs:
-pentium 4, 3.00GHz (prescott)
-p5q SE mobo
-4x 2GB Ballistix ram (*8GB total)
-BFG 9600GT factory OC
-Apevia X-discovery w/ blue leds
-umm if you need to know anything else just ask :)
-p.s. the monitor has one of those little blue connectors, so i used an adapter to convert it to the wider white plug on the gpu.. don't know if that means anything.

please help me figure this out, ive been looking forword to my first build for months, planning and whatnot, done all my research and now ive finally put it into action but ive hit a roughpatch, please help me get through it
Thanks for reading,
-Kyle

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
ok. im not really sure if there is a need for a plug from the power supply in order to operate the speaker. the speaker should plug right into the motherboard where all the other front panel connectors plug in.

As for no video, there should be video. Make sure that there is a PCIe 6 pin power plug from the PSU going to the video card. Make sure that the video card is properly seated and that the lever on the slot has locked into place. Also, see if in the manuals for the video card if it specifies which connector on the video card should be used, such as #1 vs. #2. And no, the companies dont expect you to install drivers blindly, all video cards will have some sort of basic driver built in so that the system can at least out put some form of video.

yoshi77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
I had the same exact problem on my first build, its mostly likely the 6/8 pin CPU power cable.

There should be a cable from the CPU heatsink to the MoBo for the fan, and one from the PSU to the MoBo for power to the processor

It screwed me up first time 'round because it was an 8pin connector, but my PSU didnt have any 8pin connectors that fit, turns out you plug in 2 4-pin connectors right next to eachother

precarious

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
The system warning speakers were what i was referring to. But, I took one out of another build and added it in.

Ok i have the CPU cooler plugged in and its running fine, the big 24pin powering the mobo, and another 12v atx 4pin plugged in closer to the CPU.. but im not sure if thats the 8pin connector that your referring to.

The 6 pin power plugged into the GPU splits into two 4 pin plugs which are both powered directly by the psu. From all that i can tell the card is seated properly, the lever is attached, but due to some slight difficulties with the case, again (damn apevia), the card doesn't fasten down securely to the chassis, hence the card is allowed a slight amount of wiggle room. But, for all that i can tell that doesn't seem to be the problem. And I've tried the monitor in both of the slots, #2 and #1, to no luck...

TRENDING THREADS