Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to push OAL system performance beyond 5.9 windows experience?

Tags:
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 18, 2010 2:08:16 PM

Everyone with Windows 7 has utilized the "Windows Experience Rating" to see how their system rates and which components are the culprits of overall system speed. There are obviously better applications which can provide a more accurate rating, but let's just stay with the Win Exp Rating for now since this is what most consumers will use.

When I run the Win Exp test on my desktop (note the hardware below), my lowest rating is now my hard drive. The processor, gpu, mobo, memory, etc all test above 6.0 and some over 7.0. However, my SATA Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB hard drive only shows a rating of 5.9 (the same rating before I upgraded the cpu, mobo, and memory). If I added another drive with RAID so that the data was divided between 2 drives thereby increasing the speed at which data arrives at the cpu, what amount of gain would I see? If I abandoned mechanical drives all together and utilized a SSD, what would be the resulting performance increase?

(I do imagine a time when mechanical drives, and drives in general, will be like 5-1/4 floppies. There will be a time when data will simply be found "in-the-air" and our computers (our whatever we call them then) will wirelessly "grab" that data and use it. One day we won't have any "drives" or data stored physically. But that's another discussion.)

More about : push oal system performance windows experience

Best solution

June 18, 2010 8:06:50 PM

I just added raid 0 to rig 2 still 5.9. Rig 1 shows 7.3 with an Intel ssd. I think almost every mechanical drive maxes out at 5.9
June 21, 2010 2:17:57 PM

Well, doesn't that just suck!
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2010 2:18:12 PM

Best answer selected by ahthurungnone.
m
l
December 14, 2011 9:57:15 PM

ahthurungnone said:
Everyone with Windows 7 has utilized the "Windows Experience Rating" to see how their system rates and which components are the culprits of overall system speed. There are obviously better applications which can provide a more accurate rating, but let's just stay with the Win Exp Rating for now since this is what most consumers will use.

When I run the Win Exp test on my desktop (note the hardware below), my lowest rating is now my hard drive. The processor, gpu, mobo, memory, etc all test above 6.0 and some over 7.0. However, my SATA Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB hard drive only shows a rating of 5.9 (the same rating before I upgraded the cpu, mobo, and memory). If I added another drive with RAID so that the data was divided between 2 drives thereby increasing the speed at which data arrives at the cpu, what amount of gain would I see? If I abandoned mechanical drives all together and utilized a SSD, what would be the resulting performance increase?

(I do imagine a time when mechanical drives, and drives in general, will be like 5-1/4 floppies. There will be a time when data will simply be found "in-the-air" and our computers (our whatever we call them then) will wirelessly "grab" that data and use it. One day we won't have any "drives" or data stored physically. But that's another discussion.)

I'm confused the title is "[Solved] How to push OAL system performance beyond 5.9" but there is no information about pushing the score beyond 5.9, which would/could only refer to disk performance since all other scores max out at 7.9, I thought I would find advice on how to get an accurate/realistic rating on my disk performance, so what is the point of this post? other then fantasizing or speculating on what your score might be if M$ did not limit the rating to 5.9 "why 5.9" ? I know my system is faster than whatever obsolete hardware M$ is basing their max score on. Any way is there a method to get M$ WEI to show your true disk performance?
m
l
!