Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 quad q9300 showing only ONE CORE!!! :(( plz HELP!!!

Last response: in CPUs
March 22, 2009 5:55:55 PM

Hi..
I made a new rig like 1 and half months ago

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 GHz 6 MB L2 Cache 1333 MHz FSB
EVGA 750i FTW Motherboard
EVGA 9800 GTX+ Graphics card
PC Power & Cooling 750W Quad Silencer Power Supply
Corsair XMS2 4 GB DDR2 Dual Channel Memory

Microsoft Windows XP 32 bit

I've used softwares like everest ultimate edition, cpu-z, HWMonitor before too and they all showed 4 cores working perfectly...
but today i checked it just by the way... and it showed only ONE CORE!!! !!! i was almost gonna cry!!! i spent quite some money on this stuff... i checked lots of different bios settings.... but no use..

EVEREST ultimate edition shows 4 cores but they all have the same temperature reading meaning that its actually a single core. Coz before, it was like 3 cores at 47 or 45 degrees celcius and one at 35 degrees celcius under idle conditions.

PLZ PLLZZ PLZZZ help me out.. i'm not a hardware or software expert guy.. i need you guys to help me out of this problem.. i'm very worried about my rig :( ((( and the money i spent on it.
March 22, 2009 6:13:27 PM

i always use one simple way to check how many cores are running on a pc, press contol alt delete go to task manager and then preformance. u should see 4 ling charts of ur processors as u have a quad core and none of the cores have hyperthreading. if u see less than 4 line charts under cpu then summit is up

i know that on my q6600 sometimes if i OC the CPU to high it would disable 2 cores, i figured this is because it was being pushed to its limits.

id check all 4 cores are enabled in Bios and return all settings to defualt
March 22, 2009 6:19:42 PM

mildiner86 said:
i always use one simple way to check how many cores are running on a pc, press contol alt delete go to task manager and then preformance. u should see 4 ling charts of ur processors as u have a quad core and none of the cores have hyperthreading. if u see less than 4 line charts under cpu then summit is up

i know that on my q6600 sometimes if i OC the CPU to high it would disable 2 cores, i figured this is because it was being pushed to its limits.

id check all 4 cores are enabled in Bios and return all settings to defualt

well in task manager under performance... there's only two charts one is CPU usage history and the other is Page file usage history..
and in the cpu usage history chart... only one line is present.. and as far as i remember, there always used to be one line in that chart even when all 4 cores were being shown by other software like cpu-z, HWmonitor, everest and coretemp.

i've already returned all settings to default in the bIOS... and all 4 cores are enabled...

lett me tell u some more things..

a few days ago... the computer had some trouble booting up.. it used to hang while booting up... the Numlock, caps lock.. and scroll lock lights kept blinking simultaneously.. happened for quite some times ....
then it stopped booting the windows properly.... used to hang.. and when i tried running windows in safe mode.. it always stuck at Mup.sys

i had to format the drive and re install windows.. then it works fine.. and after that its showing one core.....
could it have anything to do with that?... coz during that time i returned all the bios settings to fail-safe defaults..

if so.. then whats the solution... plz stay with me??
Related resources
a c 316 à CPUs
March 22, 2009 7:09:48 PM

Is there a bios update for your motherboard that might address the issue?
Have you installed the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard?
March 22, 2009 7:49:47 PM

geofelt said:
Is there a bios update for your motherboard that might address the issue?
Have you installed the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard?

there is a bios update available but i haven't applied it yet.. and as i told u before .. the system was showing 4 cores prevoiusly... so its not a bios update problem
i have installed the latest chipset drivers yes

but i think i've figured out the problem.. it is that my pc is not recognized as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC by Windows xp... coz prevoiulsy i installed from another guy's windows cd and it worked alright... this time i reinstalled using another cd that i had... so probably my cd was not a newer one and did not contain those options... and hence it sees my pc as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC only... not a multiprocessor one...
coz i can see all the 4 cores in device manager under Processors... but they are not WORKING coz of this windows not recognizing them....

i got this information from the following links:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255225-28-halp-q6600-...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340

whats ur opinions and suggestions?
April 10, 2009 7:44:42 PM

Try this, i've just had the same problem today when i installed C2Q Q9650
Press the Start button and type msconfig in the search box
On the General tab select Use original boot configuration
Apply, click ok then Restart.

Once your pc has restarted you should Hopefully have all 4 cores present and correct.
April 11, 2009 12:22:34 AM

Baz Scotland said:
Try this, i've just had the same problem today when i installed C2Q Q9650
Press the Start button and type msconfig in the search box
On the General tab select Use original boot configuration
Apply, click ok then Restart.

Once your pc has restarted you should Hopefully have all 4 cores present and correct.

thanks for the reply.. but i already solved my problem by taking out the CMOS battery.. and then putting it back in after 1 or 2 minutes... it refreshed all the CMOS and now its showing 4 cores properly..

however.. now i'm into a new problem.. if i enable more than 1 core in the bios.. and play some heavy game .. like Mass Effect etc... the computer hangs/freezes after some time.. the more cores i enable ... the sooner it hangs....

however.. with just 1 core enabled.. it works fine.. never hangs...

any ideas about this problem?
April 11, 2009 1:24:34 AM

temperature?
April 11, 2009 3:24:51 AM

check the advanced bios settings and see if 3 core are disabled
April 11, 2009 3:44:54 AM

Easy fix:

Start > Run > MSCONFIG > Boot > Advanced Options

Uncheck "Number of Processors" if it's checked. If it isn't check it and in the drop down list select 4 and you're done. :) 
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2009 5:51:16 AM

You want it running with all 4 cores. So let's start there. Where is it hanging?
April 12, 2009 7:41:47 PM

oky...

thanks for all the replies guys

now listen the hard part of the troubleshooting...

using Everest ... i can run FULL SYSTEM STABILITY TEST>. with everything checked... and everything (except the graphics card of course) under 100% stress for as long as i want.... doesn't hang... CPU temperature: only 1 core ggoes upto 71 ... all others within 60...

and thats under FULL stress using everest.

now come to the other hard part... if i enable more than 1 core in the Advanced Bios features in the bios.... it hangs like 1 minute into any heavy game.. e.g. Mass Effect.. .but i can play other light games like Warcraft III for as long as i wish . .doesn't hang..

also... i've already ruled out overheating coz using everest full system stability test..... it did not hang... but hangs within a minute of running any heavy game.

the less cores i enable.. the longer it takes to hang.. ... but with just one core enabled. .. it NEVER hangs
April 12, 2009 9:06:46 PM

Hi there,

maybe it is your graphics card that is over heating? as 1 core only can only feed the graphics card maybe 25% of requests on instructions, and with more cores enabled, your graphics card have to do more work etc

try lower your game Mass Effect setting to 800 x 600, and turn off all graphics settings, AntiAliasing, AFiltering, and enable 4 cores and see if it hangs.

just a guess.

Pete
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2009 10:38:25 PM

Check the CPU voltage settings in the bios. The default voltage may not be enough for that cpu. Just don't go over 1.34v.
April 13, 2009 5:53:22 PM

aford10 said:
Check the CPU voltage settings in the bios. The default voltage may not be enough for that cpu. Just don't go over 1.34v.

i appreciate ur help.. but i must again press on the fact that i really dont think that its a cpu problem.. coz if it were then it should hang during the Everest System Stablity Test....

it doesn't

so. .that means that its only hangs when i put multiple cores + the graphics card on load....

so it might have to do something with the graphics card.. however i'm using Evga Precision utility and i dont see my card overheating...

can what pete4r said have more to it than is visible?
April 13, 2009 5:56:08 PM

aford10 said:

i appreciate ur reply but i must again press that i really dont think its got something to do with the cpu.. coz i can run Everest System Stability test for quite long time (i.e. 10 minutes) and it doesn't hang..

but if i enable all cores + start some heavy game like Mass Effect.. it hangs within a minute or two...

so i think it might have to do something with the graphics card not being properly working with multiple cores.. i'm using EVGA Precision utility to monitor my graphics card and i dont see it overheating... goes to a maximum of around 60 degrees celcius under load.

can what pete4r said. .have more to it than is visible?
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 3:58:34 AM

I'm assuming you ran everest with 1 core enabled? Because you said it hangs when more than 1 are enabled.

The more cores you enable, the more voltage the cpu will require.

If it's not the cpu, I would suspect the psu. Unless you have a dirty, cluttered, poorly ventilated case, the graphics card shouldn't be overheating.
April 14, 2009 8:28:07 AM

aford10 said:
I'm assuming you ran everest with 1 core enabled? Because you said it hangs when more than 1 are enabled.

The more cores you enable, the more voltage the cpu will require.

If it's not the cpu, I would suspect the psu. Unless you have a dirty, cluttered, poorly ventilated case, the graphics card shouldn't be overheating.

No.. i ran Everest with 4 cores enabled... with 3 cores enabled... with 2 cores.. and with 1 core... never hanged.

lemme give u some more details.. i've used many different OS to check if it was OS problem.. but now i've figured that it is not an OS problem.. I"ve used Windows XP 32 bit.. Windows Vista 64 bit.. and am currently using Windows 7 Beta 64 bit.
one interesting thing is that when i installed windows 7 beta 64 bit recently, it hanged after the setup was over.... and kept hanging... until i enabled just a single core and disabled others... after that i ran the windows update utility and it downloaded the latest drivers for my garhpics card.. then it stopped hanging during windows operation...

now it ONLY hangs when i enable multiple cores and run a heavy game that puts stress on my graphics card. but still i cannot see my card going overheat.

can it have to do something with the PCIe bus frequency setting in the BIOS? (it is currently set to 100) or the PCIe payload size (currently set to the optimum maximum).

I'm using CoolerMaster CM 690 casing so bad ventilation is out of the question :) .
PSU is awesome too.... its PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad 750W..... .its ATI Crossfire certified.. and SLI Ready.
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 12:33:13 PM

The only way I could see your card overheating is if the fan on it is malfunctioning. With everything you've tried, increasing the voltage and/or frequency to the pci slot is worth a try.
April 14, 2009 2:12:13 PM

fan is not malfunctioning.. i can manually change the fan speed using the EVGA Precision utility or i can leave it to AUTO.

On AUTO .. it does increase the speed when i put load on it but i've also tried putting the speed at 90% manually (i can actually HEAR the airflow when its that fast) and running MAss EFFECT.. the temperature reading did not go above 50 degrees celcius but it still hanged.

furthermore.. i've also tried changing the Core Clock and Memory Clock of the graphics card using the EVGA Precision .. but it didn't help solve the problem.

how do i increase the voltage and/or frequency to the PCI Slot.. and by how much should i change it?

about what pete4r said, that single core feeds less requests to the graphics card than multiple cores so it hangs? is that true? or can it be?
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 2:27:33 PM

You can change the settings in the bios. Increase them in 1 or 2 increments at a time. You may only need a slight increase.

The fewer cores won't feed less requests, they will just process slower.
April 14, 2009 2:34:47 PM

the PCIe frequency value ranges from 100 to 200 .. .

1 or 2 increments at a time will take millions of years :) ..

The voltages options available to me and their values are:

Parameter... Setting... Current Value

CPU Core... AUTO... 1.20000 V
CPU FSB... Auto... 1.10 V
Memory... 2.000 V... 2.000 V
nForce SPP... Auto... 1.30 V
NF200 Voltage Level... Auto... 1.20V

GELVREF Lane 0... Auto... +00mv
GTLVREF Lane 1... Auto... +55mv
GELVREF Lane 2... Auto... +00mv
GELVREF Lane 3... Auto... +00mv

i dont see any PCIe voltage?? :S

in the PnP/PCI Configurations section of the BIOS there is an option called PCI/VGA Palette Snoop and it is Disabled... whats that?
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 4:46:35 PM

The palette snoop is only for 256 color mode. It's just the palette of colors that can be used, since it's limited to 256. It should be disabled.

If you don't see the option for PCI changes, then it may be locked down by your bios. Some don't allow those changes. It would be under the same tab as the cpu core, fsb,....

Are the ^ listed values stock or what you've set them to?
April 14, 2009 6:42:08 PM

all the values are STOCK except for memory voltage...

i've manually set the memory voltage to 2.000 volts... the stock was 1.800 volts...

i've noticed that after enabling multiple cores.... it hangs quicker if i set the memory voltage at 1.8 V ..and hangs after a little longer time if i increase the voltage to 2.000 volts... (talking about the hanging during the games)
April 14, 2009 7:16:08 PM

You should have sent it back cause it ultimately sounds like you may have a bad cpu.
April 14, 2009 7:19:53 PM

mamw93 said:
You should have sent it back cause it ultimately sounds like you may have a bad cpu.

i appreciate ur suggestion... but i think u ddidn't read the whole thread..

kindly read all the msgs starting from the first msg posted by aford10 ... and u might get an idea of whats the problem i'm facing... its not a bad cpu... .however.. it might be a bad graphics card.. or motherboard
!