Comp won't start with 4GBs of Ram vista 64-bit

123urpked

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Hey guys.

For some reason when I try to upgrade from 2gb to 4gb of ram my computer won't even start with the second stick in. I am running Vista 64-bit Home Basic edition on an AsRock 4core1600twins-p35 motherboard. The RAM sticks are identical and came together in a package, but for some reason I could only install the OS with 2gb of RAM. I am using OCZ DDR2 1066 RAM with 5-6-6 timings (automatically set to this in BIOS) @ 2.1v. A couple months ago when I was having troubles installing the OS, I could actually start the computer with both 2gb sticks in at the same time so I don't think it is bad RAM or an outdated BIOS version, but for some reason I ended up installing vista with only one stick in and ever since I couldn't use the other stick. The jumpers are correctly set for the RAM to run at 1066mhz like its supposed to. I also made sure I correctly installed them in the right slots for dual channel :p.

I didn't really care that I could only use 2GB at first, but now I'm trying to edit videos in Sony Vegas Pro, and some clips take a ridiculously long time to load. I know my CPU isn't the problem (Q9300 @2.5ghz) because in task manager it is only using about 40-50% of its potential when I am editing, and the RAM says to be using only 1gb of 2, but it also says that only 39mb(2046 total 1337 cached and 39 free) of physical memory is free.

If you guys could help me out I'd really appreciate it. Thanks :D!

r_manic

Administrator
Have you tried swapping the sticks? Place the first stick in the second slot, and vice-versa. If you can also try other RAM sticks on your motherboard, it'll be easier for you to check if the issue is with your motherboard or your RAM. :)

trilgot

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
does it power on at all?
if it does its probably at oem version of vista which wont let you install new hardware like memory, cpu ,motherboard not sure about graphics card

you will have to reinstall vista or get the retail version which will let you install new hardware

123urpked

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

@trilgot, if I reinstall Vista can I keep all my files on my hard drive without having to save them to a different storage device? and yes, I think it is a oem version :(.

Thanks for your help, Dan.